BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Venky Arms

It would be the Hacienda. Proper working class venue, designed for the common man, popular whilst being unfashionable. Got much bigger than it ever should and despised by those outside the area for daring to upset the status quo.

But ultimately a mixture of naive business practices, a real lack of forward thinking and making a deal with the wrong people then finding they can't control them meant that despite having everything on a plate and loyal following they eventually had to close the doors as it was losing so much money.

..... I won't go so far as to remind everyone that what finally did for the hacienda was somebody accidentally handing over the wrong set of books.

+ 1000

That Glenn was very well considered.

Just drove thru brierfield ( hospital !) and I saw a pub in the centre with some right scrotes and doss pots outside drinking white lightning ... The location and clientele was perfect for The Venky Arms .. White lightening .. The venkys idea of champagne .

It would be the Hacienda. Proper working class venue, designed for the common man, popular whilst being unfashionable. Got much bigger than it ever should and despised by those outside the area for daring to upset the status quo.

But ultimately a mixture of naive business practices, a real lack of forward thinking and making a deal with the wrong people then finding they can't control them meant that despite having everything on a plate and loyal following they eventually had to close the doors as it was losing so much money.

..... I won't go so far as to remind everyone that what finally did for the hacienda was somebody accidentally handing over the wrong set of books.

Peter Hooks book was a great inside account of the rise and fall of the Hacienda. Wonder who will eventually write, 'How not to run a Football Club' ?

Archived