• Steve Kean
    • Eric Black
    • Henning Berg
    • Gary Bowyer
    • Michael Appleton
    • None of the above
  3. 3. Goal of the Season

• Dunn's undeserved, injury time, blatantly offside scuff against Burnley
    • Not Dunn's undeserved, injury time, blatantly offside scuff against Burnley

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rhodes seems the only choice. Says it all when Dunn is on the list and has barely played.

The only near ever-present players we have this season are Rhodes, Dann, Hanley and Lowe. The rest have been in and out of the team.

Hanley is the only one that comes close.

Dann has had a decent season tbf, he's made a few mistakes but seems to be more suited to the Chumpionship, hopefully the Dannley partnership will continue next season.

Every time I see him he looks slightly improved but still poor. His distribution is woeful. Even the commentators on 5 Live were hammering him for it the other night. Hanley is twice the player he is for me.

I don't think he's doing a better job than 90% of the centre halves in this division could do.

Dann has had a decent season tbf, he's made a few mistakes but seems to be more suited to the Chumpionship, hopefully the Dannley partnership will continue next season.

How his name is even mentioned beggers belief. Poor last season, hopeless when the crosses come near him. Though he has admittedly given 100%. Dann is a considerable mark down on the centre halfs that we have had.

Ruben Rochina anyone? Probably would have been a contender if Bowyer had remained in charge the first time.

I'm disappointed we never saw more of Nuno Gomes. I agree with comments about Hanley.

However my three votes have gone to the obvious favourites.

went for Hanley

has been immense, when many others lost their heads about him....

Rhodes was the obvious choice, but aside from a shed load of goals, doesn't really offer much more

Looool some people are hard to please... what else do u want from a striker?

Jordan Rhodes, Gary Bowyer

How people can vote 'None of the Above' in the manager section is beyond me (unless its an indirect protest towards the fact we didnt appoint a proper manager, credentials and all, for the job). However I do find it abit harsh on Gary Bowyer who kept an almost faultless record in his two spells this season.

A less obvious choice was the player of the year. CKR's inclusion in that poll puzzles me. The rest all played their part. The least of the pack being David Dunn, however he did deliver his usual few 'contract-extension-winning games' a season where he wins back most of the fans' hearts.

To the serious contenders..

JAKE KEAN - Berg's attempt at a rotation in the squad did reap its benefits. We saw Henley and Kean establish themselves in the team. Jake Kean emerged as quite a confident gk and a great shot stopper aswell. Still very young and has alot to learn. Given the situation he was faced with I think he should be proud of himself for this season.

SCOTT DANN and GRANT HANLEY - These two are equal for me. Both make their fair share of mistakes but have both given heart and soul for the cause. Both have had to overcome harsh criticism whether it being overweight or being prone to mistakes. Both have improved and both could look even more solid with a better midfield infront of them, and better competition than an uninterested Givet or a (does he even exist?) Nuno Henrique.

JORDAN RHODES - "He was brought in to score goals" ... yes... so were Best, Nuno Gomes, DJ Campbell, Goodwillie and Edinho Jr. He has also had to live up to a HUGE pricetag which he didnt decide upon. He has had to feed off the same scraps as the other stronger (Best), quicker (DJ, i know he was injured but im just giving an example), more experienced (Nuno, eventhough to be fair to him he did do a good job in his few appearances) strikers but came out with 28 goals (04.05.2013 morning) to his name. Time is on his side.

A less obvious choice was the player of the year. CKR's inclusion in that poll puzzles me. The rest all played their part. The least of the pack being David Dunn, however he did deliver his usual few 'contract-extension-winning games' a season where he wins back most of the fans' hearts.

Because though his attitude stinks we're a much better team when CKR plays. He was the one striker who could hold it up, and relieve pressure on the team defensively. Also he was one of the very few players we had who was assured in possession and could actually pass the ball accurately. Our possession stats were pretty woeful all season - but without CKR I've a feeling they'd be a lot worse. Although not making headlines CKR contributed hugely to our "successful" periods of the season.

SCOTT DANN and GRANT HANLEY - These two are equal for me. Both make their fair share of mistakes but have both given heart and soul for the cause. Both have had to overcome harsh criticism whether it being overweight or being prone to mistakes. Both have improved and both could look even more solid with a better midfield infront of them, and better competition than an uninterested Givet or a (does he even exist?) Nuno Henrique.

It's because both do make their fair share of mistakes! And that's not harsh criticism - that's just criticism. Now I have to admit I'm a fan of Hanley and he's improved vastly as the season has gone on. However you cannot make the amount of school boy mistakes these two do and not be criticized. Also to me this rules them out of the running for player of the season. Hanley probably should get most improved player, and has youth and inexperience as an excuse, but Dann really has no excuse and makes too many mistakes for my liking. Granted more protection would help them, but I prefer centre halves who are a little more reliable. I think the way he's going Hanley will get there, but not convinced by Dann.

Rhodes's goals won't easily be replaced, but neither will Dannley, for me. Nor Lowe, in a sense. Similarly Peds. If nothing else reliable when needed. And many weren't.

For 'seeing' a game, Gary Bowyer. But mainly Michael Appleton. For turning the tide, bringing in two central midfielders who could do a job and for that game at the Emirates. Result of the season, surely.

Spot on, Stuart! As to Appleton turning the tide, did you think about what direction he turned it? Bowyer had three wins and one draw, we were in great form. Then we took a bad downturn briefly, got back on course for a bit, got that great (but lucky) win at the Emirates and then we were horrendous til he left. Bowyer is the one who bloody turned tides mate, TWICE.

In fairness, Berg conceded 18 goals in his 10

games, in Appleton's first 10 he conceded 9. Having said that we conceded 2 in 4 games under Bowyer in between, so maybe you can thank him for the defensive improvement too.

There are a lot more players who need shipping out before Lowe and Pedersen. Especially Lowe given his versatility and lack of high wages. Genuinely who would you want ahead of them - Murphy, Etuhu, the protugeezers, Orr? There's a lot of players I'd get rid of before these two.

Appleton doesn't seem to get any credit for bringing in two good centre mids, nor for aiming to get the structure of the club right - two massive things that have really helped Bowyer and the club. Not saying it was all going well, or that he would have been a success/turned it round - but credit where credit is due, especially for bringing in Jones, and trying to manage the club properly.

Archived