BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] BT /ESPN

I still dont really understand how having all the footy in different packages is good for us! Before we paid 40 quid to sky for all football, now we pay 40 to them and 15 to someone else if you want to watch everything.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still dont really understand how having all the footy in different packages is good for us! Before we paid 40 quid to sky for all football, now we pay 40 to them and 15 to someone else if you want to watch everything.

If you're a BT Broadband customer you pay nowt... and even with Sky, you'd have to pay the extra £10 for ESPN.

The reason why this has happened is because, as with the telecoms industry, the Monopolies Commission decided that Sky have too much of the market share with sports so put sanctions on Sky (as they did with BT with telecoms) so then this made it easier for other companies to enter the market and have a fighting chance of staying in it.

The difference now is that BT aren't looking at it as a way to make money, they see it as a way to increase sales in other areas and improve brand perception. This means that they have very different reasons to make it work, and it puts the customer in the driving seat in terms of getting value for money.

Plus keaning one!

If you're a BT Broadband customer you pay nowt... and even with Sky, you'd have to pay the extra £10 for ESPN.

The reason why this has happened is because, as with the telecoms industry, the Monopolies Commission decided that Sky have too much of the market share with sports so put sanctions on Sky (as they did with BT with telecoms) so then this made it easier for other companies to enter the market and have a fighting chance of staying in it.

The difference now is that BT aren't looking at it as a way to make money, they see it as a way to increase sales in other areas and improve brand perception. This means that they have very different reasons to make it work, and it puts the customer in the driving seat in terms of getting value for money.

But they're not providing competition to Sky, they're picking up their rejects, with the odd decent match thrown in.

ITV digital

NTL

Setanta

ESPN

BT

All just trying to squeeze more money out of folk on the back of the PL gravy train..

Plus £17 a month my line rental to BT, might even be more now, and chuff all in return. As out dated as the TV licence and even more extortionate. £17!! It's more than you pay for a mobile including free calls/Internet.

But they're not providing competition to Sky, they're picking up their rejects, with the odd decent match thrown in.

ITV digital

NTL

Setanta

ESPN

BT

All just trying to squeeze more money out of folk on the back of the PL gravy train..

Plus £17 a month my line rental to BT, might even be more now, and chuff all in return. As out dated as the TV licence and even more extortionate. £17!! It's more than you pay for a mobile including free calls/Internet.

It's not rejects, there will be some of the top matches on the BT Sport channel, and on top of that you can have ESPN and Sky Sports 1 & 2 (where most of the football is on Sky).

You can have Unlimited BB from BT for £15 per month, this would get you all 4 sport channels for free for 12 months... With Sky the cheapest sports package is £21 then plus the extra for ESPN, then the BB on top.

You'd have to pay line rental wherever you go, I agree with BT it's not the cheapest, but there's ways to make the package cheap...

Cheapest unlimited package you can get including TV, BB & Phone is £30.75 per month... I've just been on the Sky site and the same deal is over £60 (granted you get the extra sky sports channels 3,4,5 & 6), but is that really worth paying double the price?

If they're not providing competition, why have I spent half the day switching Sky Broadband customers to BT? (and I'm not even in sales!!!)

Well im not on bt broadband so ill pay sky but it still doesnt provide competition. If man u vs arsenal is on at 4pm sunday, i cant choose to watch on sky or bt, i will only watch it on sky. So it doesnt really make any odds to me what channel its on, cos its only in 1 place. the only time there is a choice is when fa cup final is on itv and espn, then you can decide which commentry team you hate the least!

BT have the first pick every weekend, unlike ESPN who had either the last or penultimate pick each time.

Hopefully the biggest game each week, although I'm not sure if they are contractually obliged to show each team a certain number of times.

Apologies hi-jaq - you beat me to it, andexplained it better than me!

Well im not on bt broadband so ill pay sky but it still doesnt provide competition. If man u vs arsenal is on at 4pm sunday, i cant choose to watch on sky or bt, i will only watch it on sky. So it doesnt really make any odds to me what channel its on, cos its only in 1 place. the only time there is a choice is when fa cup final is on itv and espn, then you can decide which commentry team you hate the least!

Now then... you hit the nail on the head... Why pay Sky for something you can get off BT for free, all you have to do is switch your Broadband service over to BT (nothing else).

• 3 weeks later...

It's not rejects, there will be some of the top matches on the BT Sport channel, and on top of that you can have ESPN and Sky Sports 1 & 2 (where most of the football is on Sky).

You can have Unlimited BB from BT for £15 per month, this would get you all 4 sport channels for free for 12 months... With Sky the cheapest sports package is £21 then plus the extra for ESPN, then the BB on top.

You'd have to pay line rental wherever you go, I agree with BT it's not the cheapest, but there's ways to make the package cheap...

Cheapest unlimited package you can get including TV, BB & Phone is £30.75 per month... I've just been on the Sky site and the same deal is over £60 (granted you get the extra sky sports channels 3,4,5 & 6), but is that really worth paying double the price?

If they're not providing competition, why have I spent half the day switching Sky Broadband customers to BT? (and I'm not even in sales!!!)

Hey Big D,

You have explained that better than the BT person did when I called to enquire last week!

Is this only of benefit if you have fibre optic / cable services? I have neither - should I switch from sky?

So Hi Jaq can I just confirm that by switching to BT I'd get Sky sports 1 and 2?? Website doesn't seem to indicate that, it advertises the sport package as BT Sport 1 and 2 as well as ESPN. I didn't see any mention of getting sky as well. I could be tempted to switch from talk talk if that was the case.

So Hi Jaq can I just confirm that by switching to BT I'd get Sky sports 1 and 2?? Website doesn't seem to indicate that, it advertises the sport package as BT Sport 1 and 2 as well as ESPN. I didn't see any mention of getting sky as well. I could be tempted to switch from talk talk if that was the case.

This might give you more info.

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/tv/compare-packages?s_cid=con_FURL_vision&s_intcid=con_intban_btyahoohome_quicklinks_vision

No, that was my mistake... If you have BT BB, then you would get BT Sport and ESPN for free... Sky Sports is £20 per month for both channels.

Depends how you are watching as to if you will be able to get Sky Sports too... I'm led to believe that If you are using the app, at the moment only BT Sport is confirmed as available through it.

I have BT broadgland option 3, a pc and an old cathode ray tv. with no intention of getting BT Vision.

Will I stream the matches on my pc?

Yep... you need to recontract your current package for 12 months though, you can do that now if you are watching through a Sky Box, or you may have to wait until the App is launched to be able to register.

Other than the sport channels as outlined above, anyone any ideas what channels will be available in the bt package? Presumably just the freeview ones?

All the freeview channels, plus a few extra and some HD channels, on the £12.50 per month package you get unlimited on demand content though.

Don't forget that there's a £49 activation charge with Vision too.

• 1 month later...

Latest email//

It’s the first time in Premier League history that any top pick Barclays
Premier League matches have been shown anywhere other than on Sky, so we’re
thrilled to announce that we have secured a series of big-club clashes to show
on BT Sport.

In the first 13 Premier League rounds until December, we will show Tottenham
taking on serious title contenders in two matches, against Manchester United and
Chelsea. We have Manchester United twice, Manchester City twice, Arsenal twice,
Chelsea twice, Everton twice and Liverpool three times.

We have only used five of our top picks. This means that BT Sport will have
another 13 throughout the remainder of the season.

Just signed up for BT myself switched from Virgin.. actually finding the internet speed quicker which surprised me but I do live near the exchange. Big tip would be to buy it via a site called topcashback (a site I can't recommend enough.. shame I can't email you guys as get £12.50pp for email recommendations that are taken up).. just got £122 cashback (and £50 sainsburys voucher from BT..) both received within 45 days for signing up to BT Infinity with BTVIsion which included BT Sport etc. Makes a big difference to your overall bill.

Veevs was the £122 cashback just for signing up with BT?

The reason I ask is I only pay £120 per year for BT broadband plus Vision and Sport thrown in free when it begins. £122 seems a lot in that situation.

Archived