BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] pensioners thread

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Play him of the left hand side of a three in the middle, he's easily good enough for that role at this level.

Agreed.

He's pretty steady in there, and still takes a decent set piece.

So just accept it and move on then. Constant bitching and sniping will serve no purpose whatsoever except maybe to cause irrational and damaging prejudice amongst the natives.

tbh we've had some right @#/?, some cripples and some Godawful players passing through our books. MGP is none of those and never has been. Why not save your bile for the likes of Murphy, Orr, Olsson Jnr, Stewart, Etohu and numerous Portugeswe whose name I cant rem?

Tell you what Gordon, in my view if Murphy was abysmal again next season, then the option to add the third year to his contract was undeservedly granted, and he was crap again, then for some completely unknown reason was awarded yet another 2 year contract and went through the motions for those 2 years as well - at the end of all that he'd be at roughly the same stage as Pedersen is now.

Ditto all the others you mention. They're all crap but at least they've only been crap for one year not five like Pedersen. I've never understood why he gets such an easy ride off the fans, perhaps it's his boy band type good looks or the fact that he was brilliant once.

I've never come across a player before who was so good go completely off his game during what should have been his peak years - 26 in Pedersen's case.

I think the fact why Pedersen gets an easy ride off many fans Rev is because they appreciate and value the contribution he makes to the team. In recent years, since Sam moved him into a more central position, he does an awful lot of defensive work which goes unnoticed because it's not eye catching stuff. Personally, I'm highly delighted that he is here for another season because he has something to contribute other than a few flicks and tricks like some we have signed recently.

I think the fact why Pedersen gets an easy ride off many fans Rev is because they appreciate and value the contribution he makes to the team. In recent years, since Sam moved him into a more central position, he does an awful lot of defensive work which goes unnoticed because it's not eye catching stuff. Personally, I'm highly delighted that he is here for another season because he has something to contribute other than a few flicks and tricks like some we have signed recently.

We'll definitely have to agree to disagree there Parson. Imo he goes through the motions in a defensive capacity frequently allowing opposition players to go past him unchallenged. He's cost us a number of goals like that over the last couple of seasons..

Tell you what Gordon, in my view if Murphy was abysmal again next season, then the option to add the third year to his contract was undeservedly granted, and he was crap again, then for some completely unknown reason was awarded yet another 2 year contract and went through the motions for those 2 years as well - at the end of all that he'd be at roughly the same stage as Pedersen is now.

Ditto all the others you mention. They're all crap but at least they've only been crap for one year not five like Pedersen. I've never understood why he gets such an easy ride off the fans, perhaps it's his boy band type good looks or the fact that he was brilliant once.

I've never come across a player before who was so good go completely off his game during what should have been his peak years - 26 in Pedersen's case.

This is absolutely spot on, apart from the last bit. He was never particularly good, it was just that in the first couple of seasons he covered up rubbish performances with the odd wonder goal. Once those dried up it became apparent he was useless.

This is absolutely spot on, apart from the last bit. He was never particularly good, it was just that in the first couple of seasons he covered up rubbish performances with the odd wonder goal. Once those dried up it became apparent he was useless.

Useless? 80+ caps for his country and over 300 (I think) PL appearances. Often our leading player in the assist charts. Selected for the games at Rovers by umpteen different managers, all of which must by definition have been clueless as well..

Hey ho haters are gonna hate.

Woooooooaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh there.

I'm not having that for one second, if Keanochio gets Jones, then MGP being a CM is mine, not Sammy's, cheeky.

I think the big issue is his lack of aggression, no he won't get stuck in and let the tackles fly, but winning the ball back is about far more than one tackle. Delaying, cutting out options and making them change decisions is just as important and MGP does this when he tracks back and covers. It's also something a lot of our players just don't do. He's left footed which adds great balance in our play and we coud now have 3 lefties on our left side and that changes so many passing / playing options, we can more the ball foward quicker and with more accuracy. Just look at how the left side changed when he came on at half-time, instead everyone says Morris got better and yet the big change was Gamst. His introduction gave others the support and cover that was missing first half and our play was much improved. Set-pieces, long throws as well, to replace this we'll be looking at a fortune, best of with Ped's as he obviously cares...

• Backroom

Anyone got those stats to show the win percentage when he played and when he didn't this season?

Makes me laugh people say he gets an easy ride with fans as with a section of our support he is the first to take abuse even when playing well

He's gets an easy ride because when fans think of Pedersen they get all misty eyed and all they remember is that 04-08 form when he used to be able to put in decent crosses from out wide on a consistent basis and score the odd wonder goal. I think it speaks volumes that when his contract was up and a club could have took him on a free none were interested, a clear indication of his decline.

The only reason he has continued to play for the team under managers like Allardyce was because our midfield on the whole is so dire and they wanted to keep him in the side for the occasional decent set piece (another skill of his that has declined since 08). Allardyce saw that he couldn't play on the wing anymore because he couldn't put in a decent cross but needed those set pieces and long throws so he found a place for him in Central midfield. He does have a decent work-rate but he is clearly is a poor mans central midfielder, I've lost count the numbers of times seen him lose possession easily and Rovers have ultimately paid the price for it.

Rovers have the highest wage bill in the Championship but they don't have the quality of the squad to match it, if they are serious about making a promotion push they have to remove the overpaid deadwood from the wage bill and Pedersen in my view is part of that.

We'll definitely have to agree to disagree there Parson. Imo he goes through the motions in a defensive capacity frequently allowing opposition players to go past him unchallenged. He's cost us a number of goals like that over the last couple of seasons..

I'd not argue too much with that cos I have seen him do that on occasion. He does frequently put a good shift in (he was my MoM along with Dunny in the Millwall FA Cup replay) but being a winger his instincts aren't really in defence. However this squad is chock full of players who do the bloody same! 'Ballwatchers' we used to call em.

I know you love to hate him Simon but you do need to be a little more even handed and not constantly view him through one way specs. Can I remind you that you rated John Curtis as the best thing since sliced bread and wanted us to get rid and replace Brad Friedel in 2004 cos you said he was getting old and making too many errors! :P

He's gets an easy ride because when fans think of Pedersen they get all misty eyed and all they remember is that 04-08 form when he used to be able to put in decent crosses from out wide on a consistent basis and score the odd wonder goal. I think it speaks volumes that when his contract was up and a club could have took him on a free none were interested, a clear indication of his decline.

The only reason he has continued to play for the team under managers like Allardyce was because our midfield on the whole is so dire and they wanted to keep him in the side for the occasional decent set piece (another skill of his that has declined since 08). Allardyce saw that he couldn't play on the wing anymore because he couldn't put in a decent cross but needed those set pieces and long throws so he found a place for him in Central midfield. He does have a decent work-rate but he is clearly is a poor mans central midfielder, I've lost count the numbers of times seen him lose possession easily and Rovers have ultimately paid the price for it.

Rovers have the highest wage bill in the Championship but they don't have the quality of the squad to match it, if they are serious about making a promotion push they have to remove the overpaid deadwood from the wage bill and Pedersen in my view is part of that.

Spot on.

Useless? 80+ caps for his country and over 300 (I think) PL appearances. Often our leading player in the assist charts. Selected for the games at Rovers by umpteen different managers, all of which must by definition have been clueless as well..

Hey ho haters are gonna hate.

The same player that was deemed good enough to start 17 out of 46 games in the Championship this season? Yeah, he's obviously extremely highly rated.

"Hater" is a word banded about by people who don't want to accept their own failings.

• Backroom

The same player that was deemed good enough to start 17 out of 46 games in the Championship this season? Yeah, he's obviously extremely highly rated.

"Hater" is a word banded about by people who don't want to accept their own failings.

Tbf, a 'hater' generally cannot accept THEIR own failings either and just look for reasons to slag off others.

That being said, I agree on Pedersen being a waste of space. He's good for the odd headed flick-on and nowt else.

I'd be willing to accept Pedersen staying if it meant Murphy, Orr, Etuhu, and half of bloody Portugal getting the boot.

Who am I kidding? These morons only sell someone when there's a thick wedge to be made.

So really, the whole thread is moot.

So just accept it and move on then. Constant bitching and sniping will serve no purpose whatsoever except maybe to cause irrational and damaging prejudice amongst the natives.

tbh we've had some right @#/?, some cripples and some Godawful players passing through our books. MGP is none of those and never has been. Why not save your bile for the likes of Murphy, Orr, Olsson Jnr, Stewart, Etohu and numerous Portugeswe whose name I cant rem?

Two spot on posts. I reckon if we ranked all the current players by the contribution they'd made this season (and the last few if they've been there then too) Pedersen would end up in the top half. Certainly ahead of all the guff that theno mentions. Not sure how people can get irate with Pedersen and make him their number one target to oust when you've the literally no contribution Murphy, the dodgy Portuguese deals, and the odious Orr on the books.

Parson I think this is also part of the reason he is so disliked - his game has gone from the eye catching stuff such as scoring to a more workman-like game. Even though he still makes a contribution, what he does contribute its not as noticed or appreciated. Having said that I think that the flicks and tricks of Rochina could be very useful if he's pointed in the right direction by a good manager. A bit more awareness and he'll be a top player in this league, and definitely Premiership standard.

Anyone got those stats to show the win percentage when he played and when he didn't this season?

Makes me laugh people say he gets an easy ride with fans as with a section of our support he is the first to take abuse even when playing well

This season according to Cryer on Twitter:

With: 50% wins, 28% draws and 22%loss.

W/out: 11%win, 28% draws and 61%loss

Let's be serious, that takes no account of home versus away games. The relative strengths of the Rovers team versus the opposition on any particular day. It's just meaningless. How many games has he started and played the

whole 90 minutes ? That'll be an interesting stat.

Sometimes just having experience on the pitch can help.

Let's be serious, that takes no account of home versus away games. The relative strengths of the Rovers team versus the opposition on any particular day. It's just meaningless. How many games has he started and played the

whole 90 minutes ? That'll be an interesting stat.

Oh dear. You are starting to sound a bit desperate to damn him now.

How about another stat for you: He made the most assists of any Rovers player this season.

http://www.statbunker.com/football/btb/index.php?PL=competition&CompID=420&statType=assist&page=1

He's also the tenth highest ever in the PL all time assists rankings.

Ryan Giggs 129

Frank Lampard 90

Steven Gerrard 85

Thierry Henry 80

Wayne Rooney 74

Francesc Fabregas 71

Didier Drogba 55

Nani 49

Dennis Bergkamp 49

Morten Gamst Pedersen 48

Robin van Persie 46

Cristiano Ronaldo 46

Paul Scholes 45

David Beckham 44

http://www.statbunker.com/football/ktg/index.php?PL=ktgalltime&Code=EPL&statType=assist

This table is from 2011/2012. Once again, highest assists - 2 chances per game - in a relegation season!!

TABLE.png?_cfgetx=img.rx:600;img.ry:600;

http://www.eplindex.com/16299/premier-league-2011-12-top-creators-and-their-positions.html

Yes, it seems clear to me. Rovers' two biggest problems: Pedersen and Rhodes. Get rid of the pair of them as soon as possible! :rolleyes:

Archived