BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] FA Cup Final - Man City v Wigan

Great post!

Very pleased - especially for Dave Whelan.

I'll have a drink for him tonight!

Delighted for A self made man who had a vision and put his heart and soul into the club taking them from a humble position to Winners. We remember that dont we.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congratulations to Wigan and Dave Whelan. Wonder if Burnley Bob was there on a freebie and said his congratulations to Whelan via sign language due to his two year infliction.

As for the FA putting the needs of their financial sponsor's and money making enterprises before tradition, who'd have thought. Be interesting to see how they act if one of their "preferred partners " are involved in dodgy dealings

I dont much like Latics but am glad for some of my mates who have been following them since the old 3rd division. But also pretty jealous! I doubt any of them thought theyd be winning the fa cup in their wildest dreams.

Been a long time since I jumped off the sofa watching footy. Well done Wigan. Not so disillusioned with the game after all.

same here. I went to Wigan College so always had a soft spot for Wigan. Thought they were excellent and Martinez got his tactics spot on. Great for the town, the club and football in general.

If Martinez is such a great manager, how come Wigan are constantly fighting relegation? That said he clearly out motivated his players yesterday, all the positivity came from them, and with a slightly better set of strikers they could have won more comfortably. And motivation seems to be the key here-Citys players looked uninspired, lethargic, bored even. Wigan constantly looking to create, but came up short with a lack of real quality in front of goal. I think the previous seven league games between the two sides were all City wins, yet they never came close in the cup final. Mancini clearly did not fire them up before the game, and looks to be resigned to getting potted soon. They miss Ballotelli more than they realise.

If Martinez is such a great manager, how come Wigan are constantly fighting relegation? That said he clearly out motivated his players yesterday, all the positivity came from them, and with a slightly better set of strikers they could have won more comfortably. And motivation seems to be the key here-Citys players looked uninspired, lethargic, bored even. Wigan constantly looking to create, but came up short with a lack of real quality in front of goal. I think the previous seven league games between the two sides were all City wins, yet they never came close in the cup final. Mancini clearly did not fire them up before the game, and looks to be resigned to getting potted soon. They miss Ballotelli more than they realise.

Perhaps the fact that 1) he has limited funds and 2) partly due to fact 1 he constantly has to rebuild the team year on year as players move on to bigger clubs. In these circumstances it's no wonder the club are always fighting relegation.

Not saying Martinez is the world's best - some of the defending Wigan do makes you wonder if they train at all - but he has genuinely kept them in the premier league on a shoe-string budget (feel they'll go down this season though) and now also won a cup. Being mischievous but keeping the club when having a genuine shoe-string budget and winning a cup are 2 things a certain manager heading to Old Trafford hasn't done.

Well done Wigan, certainly deserve it - had a funny feeling they may snatch it - .two fingers up to the so called big clubs.

Living over here and knowing some of their fans, can't help feel happy for them.

Still feel jealous as hell though, especially when we could have had a chance - still have the dream that we will see Rovers do the same in my lifetime ( although this dream fades everyday with the circus going on at Ewood)

Always liked Martinez as a manager and his stock must have gone up ten fold after pulling off an FA Cup win, much bigger than the League Cup win that lesser teams sometimes manage to pull off. I can see Everton being a perfect fit for him next season, whether Wigan get relegated or not I think he'd be daft to stay on.

Not really fond of Wigan but it's nice to see them have one last hurrah before they join us in the Championship next season.

Fantastic result for DW, Wigan and English football in general.

It should be compulsory that every club in the top four leagues dont play matches on FA cup final day in future.

I'm a bit concerned to see Dave Whelan blaming Norman Deeley of Wolves for the broken leg he sustained at Wembley in 1960 though. Whelan says Deeley went over the top in the tackle. As I recall the incident Whelan slid in on Deeley just as Deeley nicked the ball past him. Deeley successfully hurdled the attempted tackle but his trailing leg caught Whelan's shin. Just one of those things you see in football, no-one to blame in my eyes. Either player could have been injured. Deeley died a year or two back so he can't defend himself against the accusations. Whelan would have been better letting sleeping dogs lie in my opinion.

I'm a bit concerned to see Dave Whelan blaming Norman Deeley of Wolves for the broken leg he sustained at Wembley in 1960 though. Whelan says Deeley went over the top in the tackle. As I recall the incident Whelan slid in on Deeley just as Deeley nicked the ball past him. Deeley successfully hurdled the attempted tackle but his trailing leg caught Whelan's shin. Just one of those things you see in football, no-one to blame in my eyes. Either player could have been injured. Deeley died a year or two back so he can't defend himself against the accusations. Whelan would have been better letting sleeping dogs lie in my opinion.

Reminds me a bit of this:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/05/11/usa-people-robinson-idUSL2N0DP2NU20130511?feedType=RSS&feedName=cyclicalConsumerGoodsSector&rpc=43

Did enjoy wigan's win yesterday. But who would have thought 15-20 years ago when Wigan and Swansea were languishing in the old division 4 both would be domestic cup winners. Gives me hope in spite of the Indians and no sign of investment things can get better.

Archived