BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Who's the worst football player you've ever seen.

matty holmes, we won the league then harford was appointed, was expecting some big names to arrive to build on what we had and this guy arrived.

steve harkness, what about Robbie slater, cant remember much of him now, an aussie signed from some foreign club

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have to pick you up on this Bob. Er.. Actually I think this is the definitive Bad Rovers side.

Dickens threw a light weight shot into his own net as part of the 6 match losing streak that nearly cost Rovers promotion in '92.

Peacock was signed as cover for Hendry who left. Croft was better at Golf.

Dailly was always at Glastonbury and claimed that he would prefer to be in a band than play football. He played like his first job was a hippy.

Davidson did score a wonder goal so maybe not 'that' bad.

In McKinnons defense he was a non league player who Rovers took a chance on. He was well out of his depth, too slow. I think a good way to describe him would be to say he was Hefty. That is what enabled him to score a ton of non league goals for Sutton Utd. I think well ove 200.

Modeste, By name and football ability.

DePedro.. The quickest I saw him move was when he was leaving Christie Park in his car after a reserve game.

Diawara... Carried a man bag. Nuff said

Goulon. I don't know how this man ever became a footballer. What could he do??

Petrovic.. Dear me.. Some people on this site said he should be given a chance. ?? At what? He is supposed to have had a few good games. But no one knows where, when or even at what sport.

Brilliant Dave (and Jock) !

Dickens threw one in v Watford (?) I think at the Blackburn End. Utter silence. Stunned. Hence hands sewn on backwards.

Crofty was poor at best. Davidson was once described, in a newspaper (ffs), as the "big eared goggly eyed defender" ! Dailly was recommended by Craig Brown, utter rubbish. Peacock had a pony tail (not a good sign) and played in Keegans famously water tight Newcastle defence.

McKinnon, not his fault really, doubt he earnt what some players earn in a week at Rovers. As for the rest, just utter crap, can't work it out. Petrovic for me sums the modern game up, hyped by agents (see this website earlier this week for an article linking him to united) and completely bereft of talent.

De Pedro, could 'drop a ball on a sixpence' I think Souness said on signing him. Unfortunately he could barely move, which was a draw back. I think that was the season we ended up with Dominic Matteo on the left wing in one game?

Hey but none of those players ended up sitting on the bench and not getting a game in the Indian league did they? That's that "untapped" Portuguese market for you.

@#/? con men running our club they are. At least McKinnon tried.

Guest Norbert

I thought Robbie Slater was a good deputy for Ripley. Not as good, but still a reasonable winger. George Donis was a crap winger though.

Oh and Jock's comment about Danny Murphy really did make me chuckle. I need a laugh after a crap day at work.

Brilliant Dave (and Jock) !

Dickens threw one in v Watford (?) I think at the Blackburn End. Utter silence. Stunned. Hence hands sewn on backwards.

d.

It was indeed at the bburn end but I seem to recall it was Wolves, night match?

I can still see it now......

I thought Robbie Slater was a good deputy for Ripley. Not as good, but still a reasonable winger. George Donis was a crap winger though.

Oh and Jock's comment about Danny Murphy really did make me chuckle. I need a laugh after a crap day at work.

Slater was a decent player and Donis was bought to supply Shearer, sadly Al had other ideas and Sodded off to the barcodes, that was Donis's Ewood career over, speed to burn but nobody to get on the end of his occasional decent crosses.

It was indeed at the bburn end but I seem to recall it was Wolves, night match?

I can still see it now.......

It was Wolves. I wasn't far off with Watford (!) But yes, youre right Gav. Wolves, night match, mid week. Think we lost 2 1?

Having just seen the big lump come on for northampton he must be a contender.The Bradford defenders must have thought all their birthdays had come at once.Late in a game to have to mark a forward who cannot move

Fettis

Orr Peacock Amoruso Matteo

Bentley 2013 Van Heerden/Linganzi/Goulon Pedersen 2008/2013

Julio Santa Cruz

Rigters Mckinnon

I think you'd struggle to do much worse than that. Arguably however, the slowest eleven ever known to man?

Scott Dann in our relegation season is up there with the worst of them, but he has improved since. Pedersen in more recent times has been so bad it's not even funny.

Modeste is the worst striker I've seen in a Rovers kit, at least Kuqi scored. Keith Andrews also deserves a mention although his pointing was second to none.

Petrovic was a funny one, was never quite sure what his role was apart from standing in the middle of the field like a rooted tree.

That was the impression I got-too much, way too soon. Like you say, how can anyone play professional sport at 14? It's like that Korean golfing android Michelle Wie, I'm not at all knowledgable about women's golf, but I've never come across any article saying how she won 400 tournaments including all the majors and is a female equivilent to Tiger Woods (not in that way).

And I thought that the NFL was a well run sport, but I guess I could be wrong.

NFL is a well run sport in terms of profits and such, but trying to bring the NFL model to soccer (or football) is impossible.

Rochina? Stop on the wind up Jim.

Don't understand how Petrovic isn't in everyone's team.

Rochina was the ultimate show-pony - superficially talented but ultimately useless. At least Petrovic filled a shirt - Rochina was the master of disappearing.

It was Wolves. I wasn't far off with Watford (!) But yes, youre right Gav. Wolves, night match, mid week. Think we lost 2 1?

Think it was 2-2, we were leading, desperately needing a win to get the form going again. At the point, we couldn't buy a win.

Cue a fairly harmless long range shot. I seem to remember thinking Dickens' arms must be made of jello or something. It was desperate stuff, the work of a man on the verge of a breakdown.

EDIT: reading this was a good laugh ... http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/rochdale/fb_squad.php?id=3010

The only match Dickens played in was the 2-1 defeat.

The fifth of a six match run of defeats that nearly cost us promotion.

The rot had set in when Mike Newell had been injured against Newcastle. A poor run was masked by a 3-0 win away at Brighton who were later relegated. I think that we won 10 points in a 14 games slump. So not really Dickens fault.

I remember William Prunier at United, looked a little like that bloke out of the Crystal Maze!. I think he played one game on loan from Bordeaux and was god awful.

Rochina was the ultimate show-pony - superficially talented but ultimately useless. At least Petrovic filled a shirt - Rochina was the master of disappearing.

You're a Pedersen fan are you not? And one of the main arguments that you lot perpetuate is the fact he gets goals and assists. Well so does Rochina. For less wages, plus he is young enough to get better.

I live too far away these days to get to games. And I hear that he has no effect etc etc. Then I watch Leicester at home, Wolves away, Blackpool away, Birmingham home, P'boro away etc and him and tbh Vukcevic at times, are the only attacking players besides Rhodes and his goals that provide any sort of attacking threat.

Rovers: Modeste by far. Truly truly awful.

Non Rovers: Heskey was pretty shocking but amusing at the same time

Imo, Heskey is a better version of Jason Roberts.

He can hold the ball up better than anyone, creates space for his striking partner, must get some amount of assists, allowed the old-school Owen to thrive, was one of your best players in South Africa. He rightfully, imo, got a game for England for over a decade. He's become a joke figure for some reason but he was a very useful player for me and every England manager in recent times.

Alright yea he can't finish, and there are actually goalkeepers who have scored more international goals than him, but he did the job asked of him and there's a reason Michael Owen called him his best ever strike partner.

Guest Norbert

He tried hard, put himself about, but he was shocking. Put it this way, when we played the USA, were England fans eager with anticipation when the ball broke to Emile in the second half? You may as well give Manu Tuilagi 6 months to train up in football and give him a contract. He'd do as good a job as Heskey did his whole career.

Archived