SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Beckham retiring

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

He's been retired for years.

Yep let's he honest he's an icon but as a player he was pretty much finished when he went to LA

Not the most talented player and always thought he was over-rated but he always gave 100 per cent and he will always be remembered for the his performance in the World Cup qualifier against Greece in 2001 when he played the Greeks on his own while his team-mates went into hiding owing to the pressure of the occasion. One of the best individual performances I have ever seen.

One of England's genuine World Class players of his generation, and one of the few who didn't under perform at International Level. Shame he always seemed to pick up injuries just before major tournaments.

I can't agree he was world class. He could cross and take a free kick. Other than that it's all PR propaganda.

• Backroom

Beckham's natural talent was limited to certain aspects of the game, but he strived to make the absolute best out of the talents he did have and has been rewarded with a fantastic career as a result. Seems like a decent fella as well, comes across as fairly humble and down to Earth despite his status and fortune.

I can't agree he was world class. He could cross and take a free kick. Other than that it's all PR propaganda.

Completely disagree. People choose to forget/ never accepted how good he was- if people around here think Tugay was world class, well, Beckham was a or two league ahead, with similar attributes.

Beckham's natural talent was limited to certain aspects of the game, but he strived to make the absolute best out of the talents he did have and has been rewarded with a fantastic career as a result. Seems like a decent fella as well, comes across as fairly humble and down to Earth despite his status and fortune.

Pretty much what I was going to write.

I don't really want to get into a debate about what counts as "world class" with anyone, but a player who plays hundreds of games for Man Utd, Real Madrid and AC Milan, captains his country with 100+ caps and has a huge medal haul has to be right up there.

Pretty much what I was going to write.

I don't really want to get into a debate about what counts as "world class" with anyone, but a player who plays hundreds of games for Man Utd, Real Madrid and AC Milan, captains his country with 100+ caps and has a huge medal haul has to be right up there.

Exactly. The only people who seem to rate Beckham are the best managers in the world.

• Moderation Lead

That free kick vs Greece and the goal from the halfway line against Wimbledon will always be what he's remembered for.

If you're of the PNE persuasion, maybe the goal direct from a corner!!!

• Backroom

One of England's genuine World Class players of his generation, and one of the few who didn't under perform at International Level. Shame he always seemed to pick up injuries just before major tournaments.

Maybe he didn't under perform football wise but him being a nobhead managed to get us knocked out of France 98

At least he matured into what seems like a decent bloke though

Maybe he didn't under perform football wise but him being a nobhead managed to get us knocked out of France 98

Jesus H.

As much as I was expecting some negative reactions, I certainly didn't expect that to be thrown up against him. What point are you trying to make? Him getting sent off does not discard anything I've said at all.

At least he matured into what seems like a decent bloke though

I was listening to part of Beckham's interview on SSN. I agree with him, it's a shame that some people will still remember the one or two things he got wrong and allow it to overshadow what was a great career.

Completely agree with Batman's post on this topic. At his peak he had the pick of any any team in the world. Marketing may have been part of it but you don't win the trophies he has through marketing.

• Backroom

Jesus H.

As much as I was expecting some negative reactions, I certainly didn't expect that to be thrown up against him. What point are you trying to make? Him getting sent off does not discard anything I've said at all.

Jesus H

It's a valid point to make, when you talk about major tournaments its fair to mention that if it wasn't for his petulance we may have had a good chance in that tournament

All being said I'd much rather the likes of David beckham play for us and Captain us than most of the squad these days

Your reaction now Tom is every bit as embarrassing as it was then. If England had beaten Argentina you'd then have had to beat Holland, Brazil and France. There's absolutely no chance. I guess the Lampard "over the line" incident cost you the 2010 World Cup too?

Only once has a refereeing decision ever had a direct impact on England winning the World Cup - and it went in your favour.

• Backroom

I said we may have had a good chance not we would have won it

Germany battered England that has no bearing on anything at all, all I'm saying is if we are going to say he never under performed at major tournaments its only fair to say he potentially cost us in other ways at them.

As for your last point you could try and argue that the hand of god incident stopped us having a chance at winning it but we'll never know the outcome

Anyway I wonder if Beckham will consider a future in the game? He's certainly been around long enough it and has a passion for it but on the other hand he doesn't need to, I imagine we may just see him in an ambassador role still and maybe as a pundit at world cups etc

Archived