BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Welcome home Alan Judge

This quote from Lowe sums up why we struggled last season:

“In the Championship it’s very different to the Premier League, it’s a lot more physical,” Lowe said.

“If you’re not hungry you’re going to be struggling. You have to have 11 guys who are up for the fight week in week out, going away on a rainy Tuesday night, rolling the sleeves up and getting the job done."

Can't have a repeat of last seasons performances where we were simply outplayed because the other team put themselves about more than we did. Seeing the likes of Bentley, Murphy, Pedersen stroll about the pitch was embarrassing. I like the transfer policy so far from Bowyer. Forget the big names and get in young and hungry players to complement 1 or 2 of our special players. We are beginning to see that happening at Rovers - Rhodes, Rochina and Hanley being our outstanding players. Palace don't have a squad full of great players - they have solid championship players with 3 outstanding players in Zaha, Williams and Murray.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This quote from Lowe sums up why we struggled last season:

“In the Championship it’s very different to the Premier League, it’s a lot more physical,” Lowe said.

“If you’re not hungry you’re going to be struggling. You have to have 11 guys who are up for the fight week in week out, going away on a rainy Tuesday night, rolling the sleeves up and getting the job done."

Can't have a repeat of last seasons performances where we were simply outplayed because the other team put themselves about more than we did. Seeing the likes of Bentley, Murphy, Pedersen stroll about the pitch was embarrassing. I like the transfer policy so far from Bowyer. Forget the big names and get in young and hungry players to complement 1 or 2 of our special players. We are beginning to see that happening at Rovers - Rhodes, Rochina and Hanley being our outstanding players. Palace don't have a squad full of great players - they have solid championship players with 3 outstanding players in Zaha, Williams and Murray.

Aye that's right the reason we struggled this year was we weren't up for the fight.

Nothing at all to do with Venky's and their @#/?, 5 managers, boardroom infighting etc etc.

Aye that's right the reason we struggled this year was we weren't up for the fight.

Nothing at all to do with Venky's and their @#/?, 5 managers, boardroom infighting etc etc.

Oh, yeah. They were definitely factors. Doesn't excuse the players not giving 100% on the pitch though. Look at the Millwall match away, didn't turn up first half and were losing 1-0 at ht. Second half we bust a gut, chased every ball and turned it around 2-1.

Woohoo these new signings are really whetting my appetite, how we are managing to sign such quality is beyond me, especially as we have no one to sign the paperwork, oops must dash I'm that excited I've sprayed myself :/

The off the field stuff didn't help but there can be no excuse from any player who didn't try and I witnessed plenty of examples last season of players not trying. Any player who uses that as an excuse for coasting shouldn't be playing professional sport.

Oh, yeah. They were definitely factors. Doesn't excuse the players not giving 100% on the pitch though. Look at the Millwall match away, didn't turn up first half and were losing 1-0 at ht. Second half we bust a gut, chased every ball and turned it around 2-1.

Lets look at this slightly differently. Consider how you would be at work if all the shenanigens that have occured at Rovers had transpired there. This carries on for 2 years and you're right in the thick of it. I'm more than willing to say it will change you personality, habits etc etc. No matter how you look at it the route cause of everything that has occured at Rovers is Venky's.

Lets look at this slightly differently. Consider how you would be at work if all the shenanigens that have occured at Rovers had transpired there. This carries on for 2 years and you're right in the thick of it. I'm more than willing to say it will change you personality, habits etc etc. No matter how you look at it the route cause of everything that has occured at Rovers is Venky's.

I'm afraid that is not a good enough excuse for not putting a shift in. That is exactly the mentality of quite a few of the players and why we saw such inept performances last season. A lot of the players are hiding behind the off the field problems for not putting in a performance.

• Backroom

I'm afraid that is not a good enough excuse for not putting a shift in. That is exactly the mentality of quite a few of the players and why we saw such inept performances last season. A lot of the players are hiding behind the off the field problems for not putting in a performance.

Exactly. In my various PT jobs, I've worked under some right @#/? who kept hiring anf firing left right and centre. I just kept my head down and did what I could.

IF we could keep Rochina he could well be the difference next season. Most Championship clubs who have gone up in recent seasons (or gone close) have had one player who can produce that bit of magic when it's needed. A Taarabt, Bellamy, Zaha.

Judge seems a sensible move to me. Hopefully it is being led by Bowyer.

Rochina has the ability to produce a bit of magic alright but its every now and then rather than when its needed. Not nearly consistent enough to make a real difference imo.

But what do you expect, it's a normal reaction for certain types of people. You can say they should have done this and I would do that but the reality is you are not involved and so can't say for certain. Everyone will react differently to the same stimuli since we are all unique people. Some will knuckle down and work on, some will kick and scream, some will down tools, it's normal and each one needs managing in a differing way to keep them in the right place. So yes they should have put a shift in, but when you're up against teams week in week out who are happy and together it's not surprising to see us the way we are as we've started almost every match with a disadvantage because of said issues.

Exactly. In my various PT jobs, I've worked under some right @#/? who kept hiring anf firing left right and centre. I just kept my head down and did what I could.

So your performance at work was as good as when everything is rosy at work?

But what do you expect, it's a normal reaction for certain types of people. You can say they should have done this and I would do that but the reality is you are not involved and so can't say for certain. Everyone will react differently to the same stimuli since we are all unique people. Some will knuckle down and work on, some will kick and scream, some will down tools, it's normal and each one needs managing in a differing way to keep them in the right place. So yes they should have put a shift in, but when you're up against teams week in week out who are happy and together it's not surprising to see us the way we are as we've started almost every match with a disadvantage because of said issues.

That's my point. We have to get players in who can handle the situation. Players who will put a shift in despite the problems.

That's my point. We have to get players in who can handle the situation. Players who will put a shift in despite the problems.

If you think our problems are mainly down to the players lack of effort, I reckon you're way off track.

So he's blaming everyone else. Classy

You read into it as you always do and try to get a reaction from your ramblings, why are you such a WUM JL was making a point that we all know, some players tried some didn't, we will see who starts in August eh, unless of course we have already been wound up due to armagedon you would like that i think.

You read into it as you always do and try to get a reaction from your ramblings, why are you such a WUM JL was making a point that we all know, some players tried some didn't, we will see who starts in August eh, unless of course we have already been wound up due to armagedon you would like that i think.

it's one or the other. He's either saying none of them were up to it (and in that case himself too) or he's slopey shouldering blame onto his team 'mates'......judging from the last statement of his quote it has to be the former

If youre not hungry youre going to be struggling. You have to have 11 guys who are up for the fight week in week out, going away on a rainy Tuesday night, rolling the sleeves up and getting the job done."

And my point is until we get the off field sorted it will always negatively affect what goes on on the pitch. It won't matter who we bring in, the environement isn't set-up at present to ensure everyone will be 'in the zone' and at peak to perform. You can say we need to get in players who can cope with that, but how do you know they can prior to signing them? It's not possible. Just look at some of the players now compared to what they were before Venky's, Givet is a great example. you don't achieve what he has in the game if your a mental case, he was a blood and guts player and now won't even set foot on the pitch unless he has too. All the @#/? off the pitch at Rovers over the last 2 years is the route cause and until it's sorted we'll continue to see these types of declines. If the off-field isn't sorted how long before Bowyer starts to get frustrated with it all, how will that affect his performance, will he make the same choices as when he's not frustrated? And so on and so on.

The off field must get sorted asap and is more important than anything else at present.

• Backroom

Yeah. I need to justify my wage and sleep at night knowing I'm deserving of whatever I earn.

If (and its a big if) we are seeing the start of a midfield which is comfortable and capable of keeping the ball then we may start to see better showings from Murphy. Half of his trouble is he is too slow to chase after long balls from front to back. It catches him out of position.

Id still rather flog or release him personally. But if Bowyer fancies him then it would make sense to get others around him with the same inclination to keep the ball.

Go wash your mouth out with soap.

I do agree, majiball. However, will any of us accept the players not giving 100% because of off the field issues? Will we simply say 'well they didn't give their all but who can blame them?!'. Like heck we would. They are getting paid a lot of money, lucky to be in such a great profession and most importantly normal people are giving their hard earned money to watch them play. Did we lose games last season because a lack of desire? Absolutely. The Peterborough game being the prime example.

Your right about us not being able to move forward until venkys have gone because the people they employ to run the club don't know what they are doing. They chop and change managers, employ poor managers and have stuck with the one manager who was the worst of all. The players are playing different tactics each week with all these different managers. They let agents and a global advisor make signings which has resulted in an unbalanced squad. They sack a good fitness coach and bring in some croatian nobody which has resulted in a lack of fitness.

The issues of boardroom upheaval, an unbalanced squad, lack of player quality, several different managers, poor appointments, a lack of fitness and spiralling agents fees is down to venkys in some roundabout way. Whilst I can appreciate the players have a lack of fitness, tactics, quality etc down to poor management and ownership, it is purely down to the players to make sure they give 100%. No ifs, no buts.

Wish we were reading about players leaving rather than coming in

+1

So far, I believe that only Goodwillie has been mentioned in a transfer news.

For what is worth, I think that Nuno Gomes might leave for an arab country or similar and Rosado and Nunes probably have teams that want them.

As of the other portuguese players, we are probably stuck with them

Yeah. I need to justify my wage and sleep at night knowing I'm deserving of whatever I earn.

Did everyone react as you did?

I do agree, majiball. However, will any of us accept the players not giving 100% because of off the field issues? Will we simply say 'well they didn't give their all but who can blame them?!'. Like heck we would. They are getting paid a lot of money, lucky to be in such a great profession and most importantly normal people are giving their hard earned money to watch them play. Did we lose games last season because a lack of desire? Absolutely. The Peterborough game being the prime example.

Your right about us not being able to move forward until venkys have gone because the people they employ to run the club don't know what they are doing. They chop and change managers, employ poor managers and have stuck with the one manager who was the worst of all. The players are playing different tactics each week with all these different managers. They let agents and a global advisor make signings which has resulted in an unbalanced squad. They sack a good fitness coach and bring in some croatian nobody which has resulted in a lack of fitness.

The issues of boardroom upheaval, an unbalanced squad, lack of player quality, several different managers, poor appointments, a lack of fitness and spiralling agents fees is down to venkys in some roundabout way. Whilst I can appreciate the players have a lack of fitness, tactics, quality etc down to poor management and ownership, it is purely down to the players to make sure they give 100%. No ifs, no buts.

I only say what I say because we're actually discussing my field of research. Moods influence over physiological performance, negative mood affects so many attributes and outputs even aerobic capacity. Negative mood regulation IE trying to turn it round increases physiological strain and energy demands. It also gets worse when the goal (say winning the match) is percieved as being unobtainable. And that's before we even consider it's influence on the mind and the attributes needed from there to perform within football.

I don't disagree they should put in the effort but given the types of people in football a large number of them just won't and will down tools blaming everyone else around them and using it as an excuse. Hopefully we land one or two more who will knuckle down when the going gets tough during the summer.

But nothing will change until the top level at rovers is sorted.

Archived