BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Xbox One

From a practical point of view, though, does it make any difference? I mean, I've got an Xbox 360 now and it's connected to the internet all the time, even if I'm not playing a multiplayer game. It tells me what my friends are up to online (Netflix and Sky, mostly) and it's constantly sending info about us back to Microsoft - info that has no doubt helped inform the choices they've made with the new console.

I rarely trade in games, except when I realise buying one was a mistake (Black Ops II made me want to kill). Consequently I've got shelves full of games that I don't play anymore but are pretty much worthless because they're old hat.

I'm not saying what Microsoft is doing here is particularly beneficial to the consumer, but in practical terms owning an Xbone would not be much different for me than owning a 360.

One cool thing about it: if you're playing a split-screen game with your mates and you get off the sofa to grab a beer, it will recognise each player and rearrange the screens if you sit back down in a different order. That's some proper sci-fi shizzle right there.

I can see your point. My Xbox360 has a wifi adaptor, so whenever i fire up my 360 i am online anyway. Out of everyone i know who owns a console, only 2 of them point blank refuse to plug there console into the internet. I don't know what their reasons are but they have them. So i guess there are some people out there who do not connect to the internet at all but obviously there are plenty more that do connect.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

E3 press conferences soon - Xbox today, Playstation tomorrow.

Maybe Microsoft will actually show off some games, while Sony will reveal what the console looks like and explain that in order to benefit from their cloud service, the PS4 will maintain a permanent internet connection.

Well Microsoft are in big trouble I fear.

Sony have announced that the PS4 will cost £350, it won't have any DRM on disc based games and it won't check that you are online every 24 hours.

For people who are going to buy just one machine, Sony have delivered a compelling argument for them to choose the PS4 over the Xbox One.

Personally I feel that to compete Microsoft are going to have to come out and admit they got it wrong and drop the DRM and checking that you are online every 24 hours. I can't see them dropping the price. They have done exactly what Sony did with the PS3 at launch. Sony were arrogant and thought that people would buy their machine because of the success of PS1 and PS2, so they built something that was very expensive and then made some very bad decisions at launch. Microsoft have done exactly the same.

The DRM makes no odds to me, but an £80 price difference is significant.

I reckon that Kinect sensor (that *nobody* actually wants) is ridiculously expensive to make. Or Microsoft are just taking the mickey - they managed to make the PS4 price (which is still more than I'm willing to pay for a console) seem cheap.

Either way, doesn't look like I'll get to play Titanfall. I'll stick with the old Xbox and the PC :-(

I don't know about DOA but it's going to have a struggle to gain approval with games "press" and forums.

Not many of the people I play games with really care about that stuff these days, even though most of us used to work on games magazines. Everyone has gone totally casual in their old age.

For what it's worth I think Microsoft had the better games on show. All it will take is for some kind of special deal with CoD or Battlefield, and I know a few people who won't be able to resist.

That's all the mass market cares about, really. Unfortunately it isn't exactly an impulse buy at that price.

• Backroom

That's all the mass market cares about, really. Unfortunately it isn't exactly an impulse buy at that price.

I think this is the key point, particularly at launch. The people who buy these consoles will by and large probably have done their research and even though the negative points of the X1 are being exaggerated, there's a real down vibe about the console as a whole which I'm sure will translate to initial sales. It may recover if it gets good reviews upon release and the price drops, but until then MS are really going to struggle to bring this console to life IMO.

Looks like Microsoft will be soon announcing subscription with ISP's in North America and Europe. So you take an internet package with a ISP (ie Virgin) and sign a fixed term contract. The ISP then give you the Xbox for "free" or at a massively subsidised price. That is a model that would work really well.

Had an email from Microsoft saying if you pre-order you can get the special "day one" exclusive. Would it be a free game, extra peripherals,money off?

No, it's a controller that says "day one 2013" on it. Whoop de do. Oh and "an achievement.

• Backroom

Had an email from Microsoft saying if you pre-order you can get the special "day one" exclusive. Would it be a free game, extra peripherals,money off?

No, it's a controller that says "day one 2013" on it. Whoop de do. Oh and "an achievement.

Almost as exciting as the COD Ghosts announcement that there's a dog in your party and fish move out of your way. Almost.

You don't get a headset with the Xbox One, not even the Day One edition. That's a bit poor.

Just noticed my 360 is already spying on me. I'm letting my Gold subscription run down, it only has a couple of weeks to go, and the main advert in the middle of the home screen has changed to one persuading me to renew.

Always leaned towards Xbox rather than Playstation, not sure why. Too much going on with these consoles now though, I've already got a brilliant Blu ray player and the latest iPhone, top of the range LED telly with (god forbid) a remote control that I have to pick up and press.

All I need is a really powerful games console, not all the other bill hooks !

I don't think the price is a factor really, most people will happily part with £500+ for an iPad

• Backroom

Then most people are idiots.

That aside, saw a quote from a Microsoft spokesperson today which read: "We already have a console that doesn't require internet connectivity, it's called the XBox 360."

Edit: Found the actual quote:

In an interview filmed prior to Microsoft’s E3 2013 press briefing and published on GameTrailers, Microsoft’s Don Mattrick has addressed concerns about the compulsory connectivity requirements of Xbox One.

"Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity; it’s called Xbox 360,” said Mattrick.

“If you have zero access to the Internet, that is an offline device.”

:lol: oh dear.

Blockbuster are going to be snookered with all this too. Expect more closures.

Blockbuster in Blackburn closing down. Staff were told yesterday.

70% of EVERYTHING. Bought some stuff today.

Watch out for it being replaced by a Pound shop. :(

Archived