BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Xbox One

Now the Kinect is not actually required, what's the betting that a Kinect-less version gets released soon after launch to compete on price with the PS4.

I wouldn't be surprised. Nobody seems to want Kinect and some people consider it to be quite sinister. Who wants to pay £80 for something they're never going to use?

With Kinect out of the way, the consoles are all but identical - same processor, same type of graphics chip, same amount of memory, same size hard drive, same online subscription...

It's a bit underwhelming, really. I liked it when consoles had some unique selling points, like Mega Drive vs SNES, N64 vs Playstation or Xbox vs PS2. Those machines were radically different, and there was actually a reason to get both, eventually. Now the only difference is one has Halo and the other has Killzone. Most other games are going to be available on both and will look and play exactly the same.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its going to come down to exclusives. I just completed the Last of us on the PS3 and can honestly say its been one of the best experiences I've had playing a video game. Either side are going to need exclusives of that quality to maintain an advantage.

I quite fancied playing The Last Of Us but I didn't get a PS3 this time and it seems a bit late in the day to be buying one now. If the new consoles were backwards compatible, that game might be the one to persuade me to get a PS4.

Weirdly, the one game that almost tempted me to get a PS3 over an Xbox 360 was Last Guardian, which was announced years ago and never came out. So I'm glad I didn't go for one based on that.

There's nothing that interesting announced for either new console yet, apart from maybe Titanfall.

• Backroom

With the consoles now almost identical it's going to come to exclusives and company reputation. Within the hardcore gaming community Microsoft's rep is in the gutter at the moment, but sales are mainly driven by casual gamers who will be less aware of what is going on. They do have some understanding though, as Sony have destroyed Microsoft in early pre-orders and they won't all be orders from hardcore gamers.

Luckily for Microsoft console gaming has changed radically and a console's shelf life is generally close to a decade now, whereas it would only be four or five years maximum back in the day. They have a long time to make up for these initial mistakes. When SEGA made similar errors with the Saturn they had no time to catch up and were soon ruined.

• Backroom

The Dreamcast was a fantastic system, but way ahead of its time. The way the DC used the internet was incredible for the time, though largely pointless due to the crap internet speeds most people in the West had!

Funny thing about the Saturn is it was hugely popular in Japan, where it received much more support. The Japanese were still buying Saturns into the 00's and were actually irritated when the Dreamcast attempted to replace it!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Backroom

Think I'll hang onto my 360 at least for the next year or so, it'll take at least that long for the developers to really be able to make use of the new gen console engines. I imagine I'll be picking up either an X1 or PS4 next year, will see how both fare.

I'm undecided as to get either the Xbox One or PS4. I've not had a console since the PS1 and I only play sporting games such as FIFA and NHL. Trying to get the wife to get me one for Christmas.

Like I said in my article (found in the PS4 thread), you're gonna be waiting 6-12 months for the next-gen consoles to find their feet. You'd be better off spending your money on a current-gen console instead of splashing out on what is purely 'potential' at this point.

You'd be better off spending your money on a current-gen console instead of splashing out on what is purely 'potential' at this point.

I have to disagree with that. Buying a console that's 7 years out of date isn't a good investment - particularly if the only thing you'll be playing is the annual sports games. They already look loads better on the new machines and will gradually become crippled on the old ones as the 'A' development teams move exclusively to next-gen and the 360/PS3 versions are farmed out to some crappy studio in China.

I'm undecided as to get either the Xbox One or PS4. I've not had a console since the PS1 and I only play sporting games such as FIFA and NHL. Trying to get the wife to get me one for Christmas.

Judging by most respected reviews the ps4 is a better console. Add in the fact its cheaper and game exclusives are of no interest to you, it seems a no brainer to get the ps4.

I have to disagree with that. Buying a console that's 7 years out of date isn't a good investment - particularly if the only thing you'll be playing is the annual sports games. They already look loads better on the new machines and will gradually become crippled on the old ones as the 'A' development teams move exclusively to next-gen and the 360/PS3 versions are farmed out to some crappy studio in China.

Why fork out £400-£550 when you're a casual gamer who only plays footy/NHL games? Waste of money if you ask me. Plenty of enjoyment to be found on the current gen for less than half the price.

Why fork out £400-£550 when you're a casual gamer who only plays footy/NHL games? Waste of money if you ask me. Plenty of enjoyment to be found on the current gen for less than half the price.

I can see your point, but the next gen is here for maybe a decade so if its something you will buy eventually, then may as well just buy it now rather than put dead cash into old gen

Well, you can still buy FIFA 14 on the PS2, if money is the only consideration.

There's a lot to be said for having a nicer, faster console that's more pleasant to use.

Like I said in my article (found in the PS4 thread), you're gonna be waiting 6-12 months for the next-gen consoles to find their feet. You'd be better off spending your money on a current-gen console instead of splashing out on what is purely 'potential' at this point.

Ahh cool. Thanks for that. Hadn't looked in the PS4 thread. It will probably take me that long to save for one :-)

• 5 months later...

I'm going to get one I think, I'll just get a used kinect in a couple of years time from ebay.

Looking forward to the UFC game as it has Bruce Lee as a playable character. Fighting as Bruce Lee in high definition in an MMA bout.....that sentence couldn't really get much better for me to be honest.

I might be tempted when the new Halo comes out, but the price will have to drop a lot more. It's supposed to be £350 without Kinect, but you can get the bundle with Kinect and Titanfall for that price right now.

£200 and I'm in.

Xbox One games with gold starts next month as well I believe which is pretty decent, didn't know that about the Titanfall bundle I might have a look into that actually. I really like the game and I must say the pad is really nice looking (the Titanfall pad).

Archived