BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] A Taste of Things to Come

I'd argue about the North East. It's a warm bed imo rather than a hot one. Huge hinterland of support with two biggish clubs, a medium sized one and a couple of minnows. They've won sweet FA between them since time began compared to the North West clubs.

North east clubs have won very little because they have been badly managed. We have done well with little money for for the past 10 years because we have been well managed. People skills, know-how and experience, ambition and confidence. It's that simple.

There's no doubt the North east is a football hotbed though. Look at the number of players that have traditionally come out of the region per head of population and look at their quality too. In my playing days I worked in the North east for a while and I've never played with or against players who have such a passion for the game. Even the ones who weren't very good always gave you a right old battle.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Howard Gayle had not missed that pen and George Courtney had not invented one for Palace then we would have found out how a small town club with no money would have fared in the top Division wouldn't we? Jack may never have got involved! Even if that had happened the financial gap in the late 80's represented a ditch rather than the chasm which the Premier League has put in place.

Had we gone up I have heard that Jack would have intervened earlier.

The Gayle penalty miss was horrible- crossed the goal line at the junction with the outer box.

PS What is the M65? :tu:

Had we gone up I have heard that Jack would have intervened earlier.

The Gayle penalty miss was horrible- crossed the goal line at the junction with the outer box.

PS What is the M65? :tu:

Thanks for reminding me! Selhurst Park 1989 -my worst ever Rovers day.

My family still ridicule me for my bitter, inappropriate dismissal of the news from Tiananmen Square on the following morning.

Yes, Mr Agnew, it took me years to "move on" from the Courtney debacle as well.

On his takeover, one of the first quotes I ever read from Jack Walker was about that Palace game. Oh for some of that passion and hearts and minds leadership in the directors box now!

I disagree we have a right to do better because no one has a right to success but we can certainly do better than we are at present and there is no reason why we should shrug our shoulders and accept our lot just because Venky's have screwed up. Rovers have shown over the past 10 years how a medium-sized club can be run succesfully in the top flight.

Lancashire is the home of English professional football and is the country's biggest football hotbed. Apart from the North east the rest don't come near.

Have you heard of the Hackney marshes

Archived