BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] E-Cigarettes/PV-Yea OR Naa?

Guest Norbert

I think there was a thread on this recently somewhere, but I am too lazy to try and find it.

A friend at work is trying that throat spray stuff. It looked like he was attacked with CS gas the first time he used it.

I tried the I-Cig when i was giving up. It was the best alternative i've come across but i found i coughed more than when smoking the real thing. So i went cold turkey in the end. But i've had friends who have tried them and swear by them. They have knocked the fags on the head and use the electronic ones when they're out on the fizz.

I don't see it as a stop smoking aid just a cleaner alternative to smoking, also you shouldn't really use them the way you would smoke a cigarette(ie, constantly dragging on it for extended periods), you really have to find(or create) the right strength of liquid for you and just have a few drags on it at a time.

I tried the I-Cig when i was giving up. It was the best alternative i've come across but i found i coughed more than when smoking the real thing. So i went cold turkey in the end. But i've had friends who have tried them and swear by them. They have knocked the fags on the head and use the electronic ones when they're out on the fizz.

Well done on giving up buddy! :tu:

Cold Turkey is always the best way to stop smoking cigarettes I find, 1st week or 2 depending on how heavy a smoker will turn you into an irritable nightmare but its definitely worth it(its a good lesson in self control also, that you'll benefit from in other parts of your life)

I think there was a thread on this recently somewhere, but I am too lazy to try and find it.

A friend at work is trying that throat spray stuff. It looked like he was attacked with CS gas the first time he used it.

This:

http://www.brfcs.com/mb/index.php/topic/27784-electronic-cigarettes/

A mate of mine had a twenty a day habit. We convinced him at work to try e cigs which he did for five months and now he doesn't even bother with these so they do work if you want to quit smoking. Personally I enjoy vaping and have no intention to stop.

If they help you quit in the short term then great. I'd try to avoid the longer term use of them due to the unknown effects.

NICE are producing guidance around their use this year and more than likely going forward they will be either banned or regulated.

There is another option which we give to our clients http://www.nicorette.co.uk/products/inhalator That just contains nicotine, still gives you a small hit and gives you something to hold.

If they help you quit in the short term then great. I'd try to avoid the longer term use of them due to the unknown effects.

NICE are producing guidance around their use this year and more than likely going forward they will be either banned or regulated.

There is another option which we give to our clients http://www.nicorette.co.uk/products/inhalator That just contains nicotine, still gives you a small hit and gives you something to hold.

For many vapers, its not about quiting nicotine, its about quitting combustible cigarettes, pharmaceutical companies that produce the kind of item you are offering are slightly biased don't you think!(and some of the health services prescribing these products have contracts with the big pharmaceutical companies, so they can also be extremely biased)

Though your right there does need to be more tests(especially concerning long term use), but they must be completely open and unbiased, but as things stand e-cigarettes have been used now for over 5 years without any serious known side effects to my knowledge(or at least nothing anywhere near close to being worst than you'd get from regular cigarettes), nicotine on its own in tiny doses is only a mild stimulant(maybe on a level with caffeine)

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a e-cig after thinking that i was definately smoking too much! I wasnt ever one for moring fags, but I had just started having one or two before going to work, and smashing my way through 20ish between 5 and bedtime.

My other half still smokes and so initailly i was vaping in time to her smokling.... then I vaped watching TV., Driving andthen virually all the time.... My perception of the flavour however altered and what was 'nice', became unpleasent.

At that time I quit ...... not gone back, not going back!

sounds like you was way over doing it, 4-6 drags on an e-cig is supposed to be roughly the same as a full cigarette, everything in moderation ;)(easier said than done sometimes though) .

p.s. I don't miss smoking regular fags at all, but the 1st in the morning during the drive to work was my favourite, it kinda levelled my head as im usually a bit scatty(or more than usual!) 1st thing in the morning.

I'm damned mad I missed the boat to becoming a zillionaire by supplying addicts with a cheap but massively profitable fix legally!!!

However I couldn't care less about them one way or another whether they are good / bad / dangerous etc cos I'm sure they must be less dangerous than fags. ... BUT I do take exception to people thinking that they can smoke them inside public buildings etc with impunity!! Now that we have all got used to breathing clean air in pubs and restaurants etc I class it as just plain ill mannered and obnoxious. Any establishment I owned would insist that they could only be smoked outside the premises.

btw I've never seen anyone sucking them in an aeroplane or a cinema. Are they allowed in some public places and not in others?

• Backroom

I'm damned mad I missed the boat to becoming a zillionaire by supplying addicts with a cheap but massively profitable fix legally!!!

However I couldn't care less about them one way or another whether they are good / bad / dangerous etc cos I'm sure they must be less dangerous than fags. ... BUT I do take exception to people thinking that they can smoke them inside public buildings etc with impunity!! Now that we have all got used to breathing clean air in pubs and restaurants etc I class it as just plain ill mannered and obnoxious. Any establishment I owned would insist that they could only be smoked outside the premises.

btw I've never seen anyone sucking them in an aeroplane or a cinema. Are they allowed in some public places and not in others?

Tbf, MANY places seem to also ban E-cigs inside too. I assume for the very reason you outline.

Nothing wrong with them indoors as its not smoke you exhale it's water vapour. Just like boiling a kettle. I could sit in your favourite chair in your lounge and vape for hours and leave and you wouldn't smell a thing when you got home, unlike smoking a few cigarettes. Get it now?

Just to add one point, to get smoke you have to burn something. Nothing is burnt in any form of e cig, don't let the so called experts (tobacco company stooges or members of government concerned about loss of tax revenue from diminishing tobacco sales) convince you of anything else.

Think for yourself.

Crikey your an arrogant self centred and as per usuall un informed(or badly informed) old soul:)

• Backroom

Nothing wrong with them indoors as its not smoke you exhale it's water vapour. Just like boiling a kettle. I could sit in your favourite chair in your lounge and vape for hours and leave and you wouldn't smell a thing when you got home, unlike smoking a few cigarettes. Get it now?

Just to add one point, to get smoke you have to burn something. Nothing is burnt in any form of e cig, don't let the so called experts (tobacco company stooges or members of government concerned about loss of tax revenue from diminishing tobacco sales) convince you of anything else.

Think for yourself.

On the contrary, I liked to use my colleague as an air freshener in the car on the way to work last year. You can definitely smell the vapour's flavour (although I've found them all rather pleasant).

Think for yourself.

Really? Well for one I don't like most of the 'flavours' (the strawberry one being particularly disgusting) BUT Nicotine is an addictive drug, they do 'run on' nicotine and by definition all the nicotine will not be absorbed by the lungs and some will be expelled into the atmosphere.

Reminds me of the old one....

'MInd if I smoke'?

'Not at all.... do you mind if I fart?'

You guys that still need a dummytit and are to weak to give up just go outside to feed your addiction.

btw as for loss of tax revenue odb I can see the current attraction but how long do you think you've got before the govt find a way of taxing them at the equivalent rate that they tax tobacco?

Really? Well for one I don't like most of the 'flavours' (the strawberry one being particularly disgusting) BUT Nicotine is an addictive drug, they do 'run on' nicotine and by definition all the nicotine will not be absorbed by the lungs and some will be expelled into the atmosphere.

Reminds me of the old one....'MInd if I smoke'?

'Not at all.... do you mind if I fart?'

You guys that still need a dummytit and are to weak to give up just go outside to feed your addiction.

btw as for loss of tax revenue odb I can see the current attraction but how long do you think you've got before the govt find a way of taxing them at the equivalent rate that they tax tobacco?

again you clearly have no idea what you are talking about, in regards to this subject.

Its a shame that somebody that has the ability to write such well worded posts wastes that ability by having such a arrogant, self righteous, ignorant and bigoted online persona(though I'm sure your actually a real affable gent in person)

there's literally 100s of flavours(or you can create your own) of liquids of all kinds and strengths(including very popular nicotine free versions), personally i can barely if at all smell the exhaled vapours and if you do get a whiff its no worst than the smell of somebody's breath after eating, chewing gum, etc...

if your going to complain about smells in public then e-cigs a pretty miniscule compared to the overpowering smells of cheap aftershave, deodorants, perfumes or at the other end of the scale people that have no personal hygiene awareness at all and reek like rotten hell.

• Backroom

Something that does bug me still: Why are smokers allowed fag breaks but non-smokers aren't allowed similar time slots to do as they please?

Re: The intrusiveness of E-cigs, I can see where Drog is coming from (although I wouldn't quite put it the way he does). In restaurants etc, I have become used to clean air and some of the nastier smelling e-cigs can put a stain on a good night, as the smell of fag smoke once did.

While I don't particularly have an issue with the E-cigs (as they often smell quite pleasant), it is annoying when someone has a puff on one in front of you at Ewood. Yes, you can ask them to stop but you have no leg to stand on if they wish to carry on. The vapour is as translucent (right word?) as fag smoke and can block a view temporarily. If it's a particularly nasty flavour then there are some cases where fags would actually be preferable!

Archived