BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rubén Rochina

This thread strikes me as grasping at straws. Accept we are where we are and life is a lot easier.

Is it? When I start thinking along the lines of accepting where we are a sense of enormous rage and bitterness towards Venkys returns, despair that Jack's legacy is ruined beyond repair, and a generally bleak future of Sky converting half of Blackburn to gloryhunters, the Asian population of the town never being encouraged to watch Rovers en masse, and just a general gradual dwindling. I used to go to Rovers with quite a few mates, now I go by myself.

Its sod's law that our one player with blessed technical ability gets a random shoulder dislocation 30 minutes into our first match, but personally I'm happy to put my faith in him on his return. With FFP looming and Rhodes looking like he wants out with every defeat, Rochina has to save our season.

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rochina couldn't save himself, never mind our season. I'm past the angry at Venky's stage, more of a sadness at what we have lost and will never retrieve, especially when I see Fulham (promoted with us in 2001) and West Ham (for obvious reasons) play. I've enjoyed the few games I've seen this season, but I'm not building false hopes on Rochina. Therein lies more frustration and despair.

Regrettably it's time to move on and has been for a long time. The last two posts sum up our situation which will not change while the Venkys are here. Yes they have ruined the club but for me continuing to rage over it achieves only one thing, to make me feel worse.

The only option is to enjoy the efforts of a young team who at least seem to be trying. A big improvement. Rochina is not the answer and neither is Dunn as the squad is short of several quality players.

If Rochina returns he will probably have a flurry of good games, be feted as the saviour and then return to normality. He's been here three years and hardly set the world on fire.

Grasping at straws I'm afraid and nothing will really change till the Raos leave.

Name me one game Rochina has played for Rovers where he himself, changed the course of the game?

Dunn has done it several times for us, notably in the local derbies, however this massive love affair with Rochina seems to be ridiculous.

He has shown glimpses, but so did Carlos Villunueva and look what happened to him.

This thread strikes me as grasping at straws. Accept we are where we are and life is a lot easier.

Our demise was inevitable and had been since we won the title, it was just a question of time. The appearance of the clueless Venky tribe just hastened the process.

Name me one game Rochina has played for Rovers where he himself, changed the course of the game?

Dunn has done it several times for us, notably in the local derbies, however this massive love affair with Rochina seems to be ridiculous.

He has shown glimpses, but so did Carlos Villunueva and look what happened to him.

Leeds away last season

Fulham away the season before

How many times has he been played in his proper position?

Leeds away last season

Fulham away the season before

How many times has he been played in his proper position?

Fulham away he scored a goal in a game we ended up drawing.

Leeds away he was good, but never changed the outcome of the game. It was Olsson who was the better player in that game.

If he was that good, the manager would play him in that position. Kean, Bowyer, Black, Appleton, Berg and Bowyer for the second time can't ALL be wrong. We see him for x minutes a week. Managers get to see him everyday, and if he was that good, he would always be the first name on the teamsheet, however that has never been the case, regardless of injuries.

Regrettably it's time to move on and has been for a long time. The last two posts sum up our situation which will not change while the Venkys are here. Yes they have ruined the club but for me continuing to rage over it achieves only one thing, to make me feel worse. The only option is to enjoy the efforts of a young team who at least seem to be trying. A big improvement. Rochina is not the answer and neither is Dunn as the squad is short of several quality players. If Rochina returns he will probably have a flurry of good games, be feted as the saviour and then return to normality. He's been here three years and hardly set the world on fire. Grasping at straws I'm afraid and nothing will really change till the Raos leave.

Probably all true but just saying accepting it doesn't make life easier for me. I get excited watching quality players, I don't get excited watching young players who aren't very good but try their best. So I'd rather await Rochina's return with baited breath and put a bit of blind faith in him. Said a few times I still think he's a way behind Dunn but I'm not sure how you can dismiss both of them as being not the answer when you compare our results against Bolton/Barnsley to Charlton/Huddersfield. Dunn at least appears to be very much the answer to poor teams at home, and when you look at our results against Bournemouth, Watford, Derby, Burnley and almost Wigan, it would indicate that its not the tough fixtures that we struggle in.

The squad is short of several quality players because we got rid of them in the summer, so expecting any new ones to arrive from this point on is futile in my opinion. There's only one direction quality is going at Rovers, so I don't see any other option than to demand performances from what we still have while we have it. Best was woeful on Saturday so to me Rochina has an immediate route back into the team in his favourite position. He looks like the kind of lad who would thrive when its all about him and the squad has deteriorated enough now that it will be.

Is it? When I start thinking along the lines of accepting where we are a sense of enormous rage and bitterness towards Venkys returns, despair that Jack's legacy is ruined beyond repair, and a generally bleak future of Sky converting half of Blackburn to gloryhunters, the Asian population of the town never being encouraged to watch Rovers en masse, and just a general gradual dwindling. I used to go to Rovers with quite a few mates, now I go by myself.

Its sod's law that our one player with blessed technical ability gets a random shoulder dislocation 30 minutes into our first match, but personally I'm happy to put my faith in him on his return. With FFP looming and Rhodes looking like he wants out with every defeat, Rochina has to save our season.

Me too.I can't and won't accept it. I too share your "enormous rage".

I am very uneasy to think that we have just rolled over- that the fight has gone out of the fanbase. Now hopelessness descends into apathetic acceptance of our catastrophic fall. I could be in danger of ending up like the Japanese soldier, who carried on fighting 20 years after the surrender. Maybe I could live rough in the long grass outside Brockhall!

The problem for me is what to do with it, how to channel the rage. There seems to be no tangible aim.....yet!

It is infuriating I agree. 'Couple of weeks' invariably turns into months with him. Then again a consistently fit Dunn wouldn't be playing for us. Had to happen when Rochina was done for too.

Hes like a bloody tease comes plays shows us what we missing then disappears

Just one more point on the Rochina debate. If you were to ask Rhodes who he'd like to play up top with out of Best or Rochina then I'd bet my bottom dollar on him choosing Ruben. This is mainly due to the acres of space that Rhodes is left with by Rochina pulling defenders all over the shop, while in addition, on the occasions where he is not being greedy he can also thread through some peaches of through balls. Peterborough and Huddersfield last season spring to mind.

At what? I would say Rhodes, Dunn and King are all more productive attacking players.

In terms of technique, he is second to none, and there's no cleaner striker of the ball. He's the kind of player who pulls defenders out of position and opens space for others. Exactly what was missing on Saturday when Charlton shut up shop. Rhodes is just a fox in the box, and King is a 100m sprinter. Neither of them can be considered technical players. Dunn is the only comparable player to Rochina that Rovers have... for six games a season. I still believe that Ruben's inherent ability is better than Dunn's, but he needs to mature and improve his decision-making. Anyway, I should know better than to big up a player when there are so many waiting to knock him down.

No one is knocking him down. He is an important player and I would like him as the number 10 when Dunn is unavailable or retires.

Dunn has excellent technical ability and I think some people are happy to put him down because he isn't the guy who came from Barcelona. Rochina is an excellent striker of the ball and can dribble, but Dunn can strike a ball well, he is really good at wrapping his instep round the ball and curling it, whereas Rochina uses raw power. Both are very good at championship level, both are good technically, to say Rochina is "streets ahead" of Dunn is ridicilous.

If we had an important game and both were fit, I'd play Dunn. You say we were dying out for Rochina at the weekend, yes he would have helped but Dunn is wiser and more subtle to break down a team like v Bolton. Rochina is better away where he has space to dribble in.

Is it just me, or are some of players more highly regarded when they dont play.....Vucevic last year became a hero in waiting, and the longer he didnt play the better he became.

Yes!

Paul robinson springs to mind. Lots of concerns about him when last playing; now some are seeing him as the saviour in waiting!

Archived