BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Mark Hughes to Stoke City

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I rate Hughes highly - did a steady job with Wales. Excellent job with us - Man City didn't really have enough time even though pro rata they were on course for a top 4 finish when he sacked I think - good job at Fulham.

QPR is a blotch clearly but he did just keep them up when he first went in, has admitted he made mistakes and no one has a perfect managerial record throughout their career.

Has respected coaching team around him and with a solid board behind him, I can see why they have appointed him. I rate and like him but could have the blue and white blinkers on a little.

Fishing?

Everton have been using it for years and their transfers have been very strong during that time. Much stronger than hughes record.

Really? Hughes got Nelsen, Warnock, Samba, Bentley, Benni and Roque for a grand total of £8m. The club sold them for approx £50m. He even got £2.5m for Shefti. Now that takes genius! Hughes had a bad time at QPR because he tried to completely overhaul the squad in one summer. A big mistake which he seems to acknowledge. Moyes has spent quite a bit at Everton. A lot more relative to what Hughes spent at Rovers.

Really? Hughes got Nelsen, Warnock, Samba, Bentley, Benni and Roque for a grand total of £8m. The club sold them for approx £50m. He even got £2.5m for Shefti. Now that takes genius! Hughes had a bad time at QPR because he tried to completely overhaul the squad in one summer. A big mistake which he seems to acknowledge. Moyes has spent quite a bit at Everton. A lot more relative to what Hughes spent at Rovers.

Exactly right.

Arteta(2M), Lescott(5M), jagelka(4M), baines(6M), Felaini(15M), jelavic(6M), miralles(6M), Cahill(1.5M), pienaar(2M), mcfadden(1.25M), how much profit would that lot fetch? If anything his record has gotten stronger over time whereas Hughes?

Cost £48.75M, take arteta, lescott, mcfadden and you've got 30M+ profit or enough money to buy the others and they'll fetch serious cash especially felaini and miralles.

Hughes got it wrong at QPR because he signed a load of dross, Arry the motivator and escape artist couldn't even get them going.

Yes he's had more to spend and not had his hands tied by being forced to sell all of them, but I shudder to think how much profit they could have made on those players had circumstance forced them. Hughes was great for us and I'd be far more on board if he carried it on afterwards, but he hasn't at all and his record since Rovers is pretty poor. Moyes has a good record when spending both small sums and big ones so far. No he hasn't made a profit as Rovers have since the EPL arose, but the club as a whole are only 40M in the red and that's bugger all in this league. Could all come crashing down now we'll see but Moyes can spot a player... Hughes he could spot a player, here but since he seems to have lost his eye..

http://www.transferleague.co.uk/premiership-transfers/everton-transfers.html

At all the PL clubs where Hughes has been manager for a season, they've always finished 10th or higher in the table - that's pretty impressive.

Fans these days expect managers/players to be perfect - think some just need to accept Hughes is a good manager.

Arteta(2M), Lescott(5M), jagelka(4M), baines(6M), Felaini(15M), jelavic(6M), miralles(6M), Cahill(1.5M), pienaar(2M), mcfadden(1.25M), how much profit would that lot fetch? If anything his record has gotten stronger over time whereas Hughes?

Cost £48.75M, take arteta, lescott, mcfadden and you've got 30M+ profit or enough money to buy the others and they'll fetch serious cash especially felaini and miralles.

Hughes got it wrong at QPR because he signed a load of dross, Arry the motivator and escape artist couldn't even get them going.

Yes he's had more to spend and not had his hands tied by being forced to sell all of them, but I shudder to think how much profit they could have made on those players had circumstance forced them. Hughes was great for us and I'd be far more on board if he carried it on afterwards, but he hasn't at all and his record since Rovers is pretty poor. Moyes has a good record when spending both small sums and big ones so far. No he hasn't made a profit as Rovers have since the EPL arose, but the club as a whole are only 40M in the red and that's bugger all in this league. Could all come crashing down now we'll see but Moyes can spot a player... Hughes he could spot a player, here but since he seems to have lost his eye..

http://www.transferleague.co.uk/premiership-transfers/everton-transfers.html

I would disagree with this part slightly Maji. If you look at Manchester City before the infamous takeover, Hughes signed Kompany and Zabaleta- still two of their best players and cost under £6 million each. At Fulham he signed Dembele for about £6 million and he went for more than double that to Spurs. The magic is still there just need to avoid his agent...

Also:

David Bentley- £500K (sold for £17 million)

Samba- £400K (sold for £10 million)

Warnock- £1.5 million (sold for £8.5 million)

RSC- £3.5 million (sold for £17.5 million)

Those four alone cost around £6 million and were sold for around £53 million. If you then look at the rest of the squad (likes of Nelsen, Benni, etc) then Hughes' signings (IMO) are better considering how much he spent.

Seriously!?!, They've just become the team I most want to get relegated from the Premiership now.

Don't even know they were born...

Stoke are looking at it from a very different perspective to us though. As far as they're concerned the Rovers job was 4 clubs ago, and what they saw last season was him marooned at the bottom with QPR, who finished on an absolutely woeful points total.

Plus its a bit rich criticising the Stoke fans considering even on here there's something approaching a mixed reaction. Its debatable for me whether Hughes can be considered a better manager for us than Dalglish, but if you were to make that claim then that puts Hughes as our best manager for decades. And yet there's a surprising amount of criticism in this thread. I'd suggest we don't know we're born either.

I would disagree with this part slightly Maji. If you look at Manchester City before the infamous takeover, Hughes signed Kompany and Zabaleta- still two of their best players and cost under £6 million each. At Fulham he signed Dembele for about £6 million and he went for more than double that to Spurs. The magic is still there just need to avoid his agent...

Also:

Those four alone cost around £6 million and were sold for around £53 million. If you then look at the rest of the squad (likes of Nelsen, Benni, etc) then Hughes' signings (IMO) are better considering how much he spent.

Fair enough we see things slightly differently as whlst they are good players, Kompany and Zabaleta especially rose after Hughes left for me. I believe he spent around 250M at City and got where? Everton as a club have spent less in there whole time in the EPL than Hughes 1.5 years at Man city. Look he's decent under certain circumstances, but at the same time has flopped massively in the market. How much did he spend at QPR, you can say his agent was involved but not for one second do I believe Hughes just left it all to him, hughes will have had a say and the final word. Hughes was thorough whilst here he had to get it right and yet his record since us is awful, yes those three are decent but given the sums of money he has spent it look more like a scattergun approach than anything else. Keep signing players and ones bound to come good evetually. Just look at RSC for example he flopped like no-bodies business at City and yet Hughes fixed him for one season as there was never any doubt over his talent just his knees. He was shrewd, thoughtful and pragmatic at Rovers but since then I believe he's spent over 400M in total, since us, so 100% more than Everton as a club and yet only three names are forth-coming. Moyes spent about 120M and I'm fairly sure in todays market, Jagelika (15M), Baines(20M), Feliana(35M), Miralles(25M) and Jelavic(20M) could fetch about that combined. hughes time at Rovers is very comparable to Moyes both have taken punts on players others were reluctant too and made it work. Trouble is Hughes hasn't kept it up since he left rovers and Moyes has done it for 11 years, we'll see if he carries it on at United. For me quite simply Hughes lost his way and maybe what he achieved at Rovers made him believe he was better than he is.

Was it Hughes who turned Kompany from an anonymous midfield plodder into a league winning, national captain central defender?

Have you heard of google?

taken from his wiki:

Anderlecht [edit]

Born in Uccle, Brussels, Kompany started his career at Anderlecht at the age of 17, winning several awards including the Belgian Golden Shoe and the Belgian Ebony Shoe. Another player, Aruna Dindane, decided to wear the number 27 on his shirt upon his arrival at Lens Summer 2005, in dedication to Kompany.[citation needed]

Hamburg [edit]
220px-Kompany.jpg
magnify-clip.png
Kompany with Hamburg

On 9 June 2006, it was announced, however, that he was acquired by Hamburger SV for a fee of €10 million, replacing Daniel Van Buyten.[8] In his debut season for Hamburg, he managed only six Bundesliga starts for the club before suffering an achilles injury in November that ruled him out for the rest of the season.[9] Despite his lack of involvement in the season, he was selected in a 30-man provisional squad for the 2007 UEFA European Under-21 Football Championship.[10]

Clearly the lad owes everything to Hughes.

Also:

Those four alone cost around £6 million and were sold for around £53 million.

That's astonishing profit figures..I doubt we will ever see the likes of that again!

Was it Hughes who turned Kompany from an anonymous midfield plodder into a league winning, national captain central defender?

Actually, no. Hughes played him in midfield. Mancini turned him into a top defender.

In saying that, Hughes is a top manager but it's a tough job at Stoke. They are cutting their wage bill.

Moyes spent about 120M and I'm fairly sure in todays market, Jagelika (15M), Baines(20M), Feliana(35M), Miralles(25M) and Jelavic(20M) could fetch about that combined. hughes time at Rovers is very comparable to Moyes both have taken punts on players others were reluctant too and made it work.

When I'm ready to sell my house I'd very much like you to come and value it majiball. ^_^

I just hope for Stoke's sake that Hughes doesn't jump ship whenever the slightest opportunity at another job comes by, like when he left Fulham... That whole affair seriously tarnished him in my eyes, but on a purely manergial level he should probably do well at Stoke. I can see him bringing a bit more of an attacking edge to them without sacrificing too much of their robusteness or needing a whole new batch of players to implement his ideas.

Archived