BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Steve Kean Millwall bound

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Absolutely. I have never claimed anything else. You reckon to be an expert Maj so analyse this....

On his 'meet the supporters' evening at EP in Spring 2009 Allardyce effectively said 'If anybody thinks BRFc can go to OT, Highbury or Stamford Bridge and out play and out pass those teams they are deluded. Those teams have world class players worth far in excess of what we have here. So to counter them we have to do things and keep the ball in areas that they are not comfortable with'.

So quite right, pure logic and hardly rocket science is it? If we'd had better players and he'd have been a pretty little foreign chap we'd have resembled Chelsea under Mourhino and people would have tagged him the Chosen one Mk2 maybe.

Dead right. He never got the financial support from the "Trust". I knew he was doing a good job in keeping us in the top flight. However, I admit I was not enjoying the football one bit.I was also getting tired of him dumbing us down. Was it managing our expectations or emphasising his own credentials in the media for the next big job? I also resented the fact that he appeared to sacrifice certain games.I am thinking Liverpool and Arsenal away..

When I heard he had been sacked the day after the Bolton game, I was angry. It did not feel right or fair. I thought he deserved to be given a chance with some financial backing. I guess that feeling would have dissipated,had the owners appointed a proven manager and we had gone from strength to strength.

Anyway, I don't put the blame for Sam's demise on the shoulders of complaining supporters. Nevertheless, there can be little doubt that Nosferatu will have capitalised on information from various fan sites to manipulate Sam out...

Was that before or after Utd tonked us 7-1 or Arsenal 6-2?

It is strange that when he was at Bolton they had a very presentable record against the big clubs. Mind you he hadn't hadn't been left a car crash club by Ince had he?

theres no denying how well he did at Bolton, football tactics aside though I don't think he cared halve as much about Blackburn as he did Bolton and saw his job here as just that 'a job'(though he did get a lot of stick so its fairly understandable)

It is strange that when he was at Bolton they had a very presentable record against the big clubs. Mind you he hadn't hadn't been left a car crash club by Ince had he?

He had been left a car crash by Ince

But we lost at Arsenal in Allardyce first full season in charge, so about 15 months in charge so cant blame Ince.

Man Utd 7-1 loss was shocking. sh!t tactics that day.

really hope Kean get the MIllwall job tho. just to prove how rubbish he was. he will take them down.

Ah ok, best inform Wenger and Martinez then so they can develope a plan B away from pretty, passing football to avoid such embarrassing results and performances.

Here we go again with the false dichotomy: There are only two ways to play the game: tika-taka football or the percentage game. I never knew football was such an inflexible sport and our international squad was incapable of keeping the ball instead of playing hot potato with it. Allardyce was a necessary evil for a disenchanted Rovers but let's not insult people's intelligence here.

Here we go again with the false dichotomy: There are only two ways to play the game: tika-taka football or the percentage game. I never knew football was such an inflexible sport and our international squad was incapable of keeping the ball instead of playing hot potato with it. Allardyce was a necessary evil for a disenchanted Rovers but let's not insult people's intelligence here.

Ok good, fully agree and no need for anyone to keep stupidly saying that Allardyce only played 'one dimensional hoofball'.

Guest Norbert

We had to play the percentage game more often than not as we did not have the quality of a Javi Martinez and Schweinstiger controlling our midfield. Obviously somewhere in between the full on stereotypical Allardyce set-up, and Arsenal's walk the ball into the net approach would have been brilliant against these teams, something a bit like Bayern's demolition of Barca. Such an approach needs really good midfielders of the sort I have mentioned, along with great strikers and we were not good enough for that.

On Milwall now, and I do hope he gets it, and our alleged owner takes charge of the transfer policies, complete with a move for the Amazing Myles Anderson.

Feel free maj cos it's true. Point being Kean and Ince were taking / did take the club down whilst Allardyce kept em mid table and above. His ability to turn the footballing equivalent of base metal into gold is why I rate him in the top 6 all time Premier League managers and why he was completely suited to our club post Jack Walker. Shouted down at the time by the nincompoops championing the claims of Shearer / Roy Keane / O'Neill etc etc it appears that I did have a point. Anybody rem that article "Where are they now?"

Wow, whats your basis for this?

I would say that Sam is in the top 6 managers of all time in working with a small budget and sustaining high league positions for his clubs. This does not equate to a top 6 manager of all time.

Trophies, style of play, win%, league position, there are a lot of managers there if you start saying ALL TIME PL MANAGERS.

• Backroom

Wow, whats your basis for this?

I would say that Sam is in the top 6 managers of all time in working with a small budget and sustaining high league positions for his clubs. This does not equate to a top 6 manager of all time.

Trophies, style of play, win%, league position, there are a lot of managers there if you start saying ALL TIME PL MANAGERS.

I wouldn't say top 6 all time PL is inaccurate tbf. After Fergie, Wenger, Mourinho, Moyes and Sam, there aren't any other managers whom I immediately associate with the PL. By that, I mean those who spring to mind when the PL is mentioned.

I wouldn't say top 6 all time PL is inaccurate tbf. After Fergie, Wenger, Mourinho, Moyes and Sam, there aren't any other managers whom I immediately associate with the PL. By that, I mean those who spring to mind when the PL is mentioned.

Arry.

With all due respect, the likes of King Kenny? Hiddink Ancellotti, Benitez, even O Neill have been far more successful in the PL, I bet I could name at least another six, we are talking about 21 years here!

Instantly recognisable with Pl is not the same as top 6 Pl manager of all time lol

• Backroom

With all due respect, the likes of King Kenny? Hiddink Ancellotti, Benitez, even O Neill have been far more successful in the PL, I bet I could name at least another six, we are talking about 21 years here!

Instantly recognisable with Pl is not the same as top 6 Pl manager of all time lol

True, but that was just my interpretation :) I would argue it should also be 'relative' success, which would indeed qualify Sam given his remarkable achievements at Bolton.

Indeed, theno, Arry too (although not currently, which I love).

strangely I had a dream about paul ince last night, he was over 6'2 and was as nice as pie to me, cant remember the rest of it

did he touch you? you can show the cops on a doll where abouts.

Here you go imy. Bear in mind that bad managers are soon found out and don't last very long in the Prem

Rank Manager Games Club(s)

1 Sir Alex Ferguson 810 Manchester United (810)

2 Arsène Wenger 698 Arsenal (698)

3 Harry Redknapp 616 West Ham United (269), Portsmouth (157), Tottenham
Hotspur
(144), Queens Park Rangers (24), Southampton
(22)

4 David Moyes 427 Everton (427)

5 Sam Allardyce 360 Bolton Wanderers (264), Blackburn
Rovers
(41), West Ham United (36), Newcastle
United
(19)

6 Martin O'Neill 359 Aston Villa (152), Leicester City
(152), Sunderland (55)

7 George Graham 332 Arsenal (155), Tottenham Hotspur (99), Leeds United
(78)

8 Alan Curbishley 328 Charlton Athletic (266), West Ham
United
(62)

9 Graeme
Souness
319 Blackburn Rovers (118), Newcastle
United
(95), Liverpool (68), Southampton (38)

10 Steve Bruce 318 Birmingham City (166), Sunderland (89), Wigan Athletic
(63)

11 Joe Kinnear 288 Wimbledon (270), Newcastle
United
(18)

12 Gordon Strachan 273 Coventry City (179), Southampton
(95)

13 Mark Hughes 269 Blackburn Rovers (147), Manchester
City
(54), Fulham (38), Queens Park Rangers (30)

14 Rafael Benítez 254 Liverpool (228), Chelsea (26)

I'm really suprised that you needed to see this table.... then again maybe not...

btw This is heavy going but Allardyce gets a paragraph to himself....

http://transferpriceindex.com/2012/02/all-time-best-managers-versus-transfer-expenditures-an-mxir-analysis/

So he's a better manager than multiple title and Champions League winner Ancelotti?

Or has he just managed in England longer?

Better than Champions League winner Benitez?

That list is far from the be all and end all. You would think that would be obvious.

The 6th best manager to have managed in the PL? And Newcastle is the biggest job he's ever had? Something doesn't add up.

Here you go imy. Bear in mind that bad managers are soon found out and don't last very long in the Prem

Rank Manager Games Club(s)

1 Sir Alex Ferguson 810 Manchester United (810)

2 Arsène Wenger 698 Arsenal (698)

3 Harry Redknapp 616 West Ham United (269), Portsmouth (157), Tottenham

Hotspur (144), Queens Park Rangers (24), Southampton

(22)

4 David Moyes 427 Everton (427)

5 Sam Allardyce 360 Bolton Wanderers (264), Blackburn

Rovers (41), West Ham United (36), Newcastle

United (19)

6 Martin O'Neill 359 Aston Villa (152), Leicester City

(152), Sunderland (55)

7 George Graham 332 Arsenal (155), Tottenham Hotspur (99), Leeds United

(78)

8 Alan Curbishley 328 Charlton Athletic (266), West Ham

United (62)

9 Graeme

Souness 319 Blackburn Rovers (118), Newcastle

United (95), Liverpool (68), Southampton (38)

10 Steve Bruce 318 Birmingham City (166), Sunderland (89), Wigan Athletic

(63)

11 Joe Kinnear 288 Wimbledon (270), Newcastle

United (18)

12 Gordon Strachan 273 Coventry City (179), Southampton

(95)

13 Mark Hughes 269 Blackburn Rovers (147), Manchester

City (54), Fulham (38), Queens Park Rangers (30)

14 Rafael Benítez 254 Liverpool (228), Chelsea (26)

I'm really suprised that you needed to see this table.... then again maybe not.

So what you actually meant to say was that Sam is 5th on the list of Pl managers for games managed.

So based on your criteria Joe Kinnear is a better manager than Rafa Benitez?

No doubting that Sam is a very good manager and has lasted so long for that reason. However winning games is important too (lol), winning trophies is too as well as playing a certain style.

So he's a better manager than multiple title and Champions League winner Ancelotti?

That list is far from the be all and end all. You would think that would be obvious.

The 6th best manager to have managed in the PL? And Newcastle is the biggest job he's ever had? Something doesn't add up.

Your would think that would be obvious- I know, but it is Drog.

Drog you are not Sams agent are you?

That must be the points total you are struggling with... the history books will reveal that he's got more Prem points than the pair of em.

Can I ask you a question Salgado? You are the Chairman of a small club with little financial resource in the bottom half of the Prem and you are looking for a manager to suit your club's situation and maintain your Prem status. Who do you go for out of those 3?

Your would think that would be obvious- I know, but it is Drog.

Drog you are not Sams agent are you?

So says the man who championed Steve Kean right up until the bitter end. imy I'm amazed you have the nerve to even post on here any more. Tell us all again what you saw in Kean and why you championed him so fervently when it was obvious to all that he was useless and simply on a big earner?

Come on, guys. There's no need to rake up old graves. You're better than that.

Drog, tell me something, why do you think it is that a man of Sam's pedigree hasn't landed himself a top job? According to you he's Dudley's version of Jose Mourinho and yet his biggest job to date has been St. James park (and we know they don't get much bigger than that :rolleyes:). Genuine question here and I would welcome your input.

So says the man who championed Steve Kean right up until the bitter end. imy I'm amazed you have the nerve to even post on here any more. Tell us all again what you saw in Kean and why you championed him so fervently when it was obvious to all that he was useless and simply on a big earner?

Wow just wow. Kean was our manager, backed him until I felt he had to go, that was after the Fulham game (can't even recall the month) whilst we were in the PL, so is that the bitter end??? Lol.

Sam has had one top job (if you can call it that) and flopped having spent quite a bit of money, Real are looking for a new manager so I'm sure Sams waiting for a call. He is the 6th best Pl manager of all time.

Back on topic so Joe Kinnear is a better manager than Benitez according to your criteria? We await your response...

Surely you don't need me to tell you that. His reputation and his style. Unfashionable isn't he? Like our lot the supporters of clubs usually have unreal expectations and ideas beyond their station plus Club Chairmen do not like to court unpopularity with the fans do they?

I could virtually guarantee that there are 3 Chairmen every year who wish they'd hired Allardyce for the previous season.

Wow just wow. Kean was our manager, backed him until I felt he had to go, that was after the Fulham game (can't even recall the month) whilst we were in the PL, so is that the bitter end??? Lol.

Sam has had one top job (if you can call it that) and flopped having spent quite a bit of money, Real are looking for a new manager so I'm sure Sams waiting for a call. He is the 6th best Pl manager of all time.
Back on topic so Joe Kinnear is a better manager than Benitez according to your criteria? We await your response...

Your stance is as stupid now as it was then. You know sweet FA about football and don't appear to care who knows it.

Surely you don't need me to tell you that. His reputation and his style. Unfashionable isn't he? Like our lot the supporters of clubs usually have unreal expectations and ideas beyond their station plus Club Chairmen do not like to court unpopularity with the fans do they?

I could virtually guarantee that there are 3 Chairmen every year who wish they'd hired Allardyce for the previous season.

You've answered yourself again, the three chairmen being the bottom 3 in the league. I think Sam is better than that but better than Ancellotti or Benitez, boy can I have some of what you have been smoking?

Your stance is as stupid now as it was then. You know sweet FA about football and don't appear to care who knows it.

So you are not going to answer the question,

Kinnear is a better manager than Benitez according to your criteria? David Blaine could learn a few things from you about misdirection.

Archived