BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Upcoming scandal?

It costs more to use the death penalty so let's not bring costs into it.

Pardon? It costs more than £14m per person to use capital punishment? I find that very hard to believe.

Oh and way to go ignoring the rest of the post.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

Pardon? It costs more than £14m per person to use capital punishment? I find that very hard to believe.

Oh and way to go ignoring the rest of the post.

Thanks.

Capital punishment is generally more expensive than life in prison when the entire procedure is taken into account. Not that financial concerns should have any bearing on legalising murder and giving the Government the power to decide between the life and death of its citizens.

Thanks.

Capital punishment is generally more expensive than life in prison when the entire procedure is taken into account. Not that financial concerns should have any bearing on legalising murder and giving the Government the power to decide between the life and death of its citizens.

See, you talk about it so dispassionately yet we are talking about a remorseless child killer.

I'm struggling to see the argument as to why Brady should be kept alive. You seem to be suggesting that he should be kept alive because it's cheaper and/or because it means "the government" is deciding about his life or death. Surely it's the law and society in general?

The bit I don't understand is why criminals are afforded more rights (and seemingly more sympathy) from liberals than the victims. Because, what, the victims (family) of a child raped and murdered may put their emotions before some kind of moral argument that "the killer is a human being too"?

Like I said, if it was a dog, we wouldn't be having this conversation. What elevates Brady from that of a wild animal?

• Backroom

Human rights are there to protect you, too, not just criminals. Take them away from criminals and you're taking them away from yourself as well. That's a dangerous route to go down, as you're then giving the Government the right to decide who is and is not deserving of rights. You can't take cases in isolation, the law doesn't work that way. You have to apply sentences across a broad spectrum or you open proceedings up to all kinds of legal wrangles which would make the process even more convoluted than it already is.

If Brady did accidentally die in the worst way possible I certainly wouldn't shed any tears. He deserves a miserable, painful death. I just don't think we as a society should be the ones to enforce that death.

They're almost exclusively lesser developed countries. The vast majority of inhabitants don't have the freedom to move to other countries because of economic reasons.

Honestly, if they reintroduced the death penalty here I would move. Not because of any threat to me, I just wouldn't want to participate in a society that practised it.

Yeah, me too. It's medieval.

Human rights are there to protect you, too, not just criminals. Take them away from criminals and you're taking them away from yourself as well. That's a dangerous route to go down, as you're then giving the Government the right to decide who is and is not deserving of rights. You can't take cases in isolation, the law doesn't work that way. You have to apply sentences across a broad spectrum or you open proceedings up to all kinds of legal wrangles which would make the process even more convoluted than it already is.

If Brady did accidentally die in the worst way possible I certainly wouldn't shed any tears. He deserves a miserable, painful death. I just don't think we as a society should be the ones to enforce that death.

Ok so you agree he needs a nasty end so who are you suggesting can ensure that then?

btw we seem to be zeroing in on Brady here but much more topically what conceivable justice can be working correctly to allow those two who murdered Lee Rigby or Cregan who murdered 4 to die of natural causes? Those cases were worse than simple murder those cases were pure evil at work.

Why do you always argue like that? Nobody has said Brady should pampered. I know children that form better arguments. Grow up.

Grow up hahaha such a grown up comment

The simplest and most plebbish argument anybody ever throws up.

Why ? It's true though .

If it was your children you'd understand.

Exactly

• Backroom

Ok so you agree he needs a nasty end so who are you suggesting can ensure that then?

I said he deserves one, not that he needs one. There's a difference there which you've overlooked.

Archived