BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Championship 2013/14

I see 'Arry is a bit stressed at not getting the go ahead to bring Wayne Bridge in. He's now dropping hints that he might not hang around at QPR. What a surprise :rolleyes:

Arry's blackmail screwed Portsmouth over big time. He had them over a barrell with the NUFC job and the silly sods broke the bank to keep him wcich included providing him with an impossibly large transfer kitty.

I bet he hardly notices any difference. ^_^

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderation Lead

Something's not right there. I thought they generally had a good season but it sounds like he's done something untoward. Interesting to see who they'll replace him with.

I had a look on a Brighton message board, and none of their fans seem happy with this. It appears to be a strange decision, I'm interested to see what comes out in the wash with this poyet situation.

• Moderation Lead

I wonder if it's anything to do with the plop in Watford's dressing room before their play-off semi at Brighton.

Wasn't it Palace they played? At any rate, that may well have played a part.

Will the bubble burst at Brighton? Always felt that Poyet got too much praise at times, they played some ok stuff, but have never threatened at the top of the league during his time in charge, also I thought they were awful at Ewood, bar a moment of madness from Goodwillie, they would have been comprehensively beaten.

So couldn't see a thread for this but thought it'd be good to have a thread about how people think the Championship will pan out next season and how various teams will do.

I realize there is a lot of transfers and summer left to go, which will massively change things, but since clubs are starting to buy players I thought it'd be good to start it.

Two clubs that I've noticed the transfer activity for are Reading and Huddersfield.

Huddersfield seem to be signing every average forward that they can: they've just added ex-dingle Patterson to Stead and Hammil. Whilst I agree trying to replace Rhodes with several players is the right way forward both Stead and Patterson have pretty mediocre scoring records at best. Think Patterson got 8 in 39 last season - neither would be classed as "good" championship players. Signing players of this caliber I think they're going to struggle.

Reading on the other hand already have a good (for the Championship) squad - depending on who goes, and have brought in Drenthe from Real Madrid and now a youngish midfielder from Hoffenheim. Seems like they are determined to bring in quality, and if they keep the squad together along with Atkins as boss and signings like this they'll be a good shout for promotion.

Would be interested in others' thoughts on how they see the Championship panning out.

Ahem posted this not seeing this thread, but think the points on Huddersfield and Reading are relevant.

Huddersfield will really struggle next year if they don't bring more in.

Stead and Paterson are nowhere near the level of Vaughan and Beckford and Hammill did absolutely nothing in two years at Wolves.

Reading will probably walk the league. QPR and Wigan will go through too much upheaval to go up this year.

I think Forest and Bolton will be the other two that go up.

I would hardly say Huddersfield are splashing the cash. They've lost Beckford and Vaughan and brought in Stead and Paterson to replace them. As it stands, they have a far worse strikeforce than they had last season and ultimately a weaker team.

Can see them going down next season unless they sign a couple of top championship players. Also think Blackpool will go down. Selling off everything, players leaving on bosmans, and a chairman creaming off money from player sales. Bad time for blackpool right now.

Guest Norbert

Personally, I think Watford (if they get a load of Udinese loans again), Bolton and Forest will be right up there. We'll be top 10, with an outside chance of the play offs if we keep Rhodes. Or the same as last season if he goes. QPR could implode, Wigan will have to adjust when their better players leave, but Reading would also be up there pushing into the top 3. Ipswich might be a surprise package and do well.

Personally, I think Watford (if they get a load of Udinese loans again), Bolton and Forest will be right up there. We'll be top 10, with an outside chance of the play offs if we keep Rhodes. Or the same as last season if he goes. QPR could implode, Wigan will have to adjust when their better players leave, but Reading would also be up there pushing into the top 3. Ipswich might be a surprise package and do well.

Pretty sure the football league voted to close that particular loophole. For that reason alone I think they'll be in trouble this year.

Guest Norbert

I thought there was a limit imposed, of about 3 or 4 loans. If so, I'll revise my opinion of Watford. Maybe a stab at the playoffs for them.

• Moderation Lead

I thought there was a limit imposed, of about 3 or 4 loans. If so, I'll revise my opinion of Watford. Maybe a stab at the playoffs for them.

Don't they still have that pesky transfer embargo??

well too early to say which teams will be challenging for Promotion and relegation.

Too many transfers deals to be done with incomings and outgoings at every club in this league. (expect over 200 transfers)

Blackpool are going to need 10 or 11 new players and Wigan seems to be the same aswell.

Forest will bring in 5 or 6 players.

Leeds manager McDermott has said today that he got to sell first to bring in players.

Rovers need to get rid of at least 15 players and bring in 3 or 4 players aswell

But going to be very interesting transfer window tho. and that's before the season starts

Good news McDermott saying he has to sell to buy. He's a good manager, and granted it was a honeymoon period, but even so Leeds looked a lot stronger when je took over. Having his hands tied so to speak with transfers will limit reduce Leed's potential, which is advantageous to us in our attempt to scrape promotion.

QPR have joined the transfer action. Cisse gone and Danny Simpson in. Good to see Simpson getting towards his natural level -- never did understand how he made it as a footballer. Am pretty sure all the celebrity dating didn't help his football either.

Whilst I don't think that many teams will make 12-13 transfers I do reckon that a few clubs will be getting that way. Ourselves and QPR for two, as both have horribly bloated squads that need trimming and freshening up.

Leeds manager McDermott has said today that he got to sell first to bring in players.

In conversation with Stevie Warnock a fortnight ago (he's now at Leeds) and he said much the same that LUFC are in even worse financial state than us.

If we manage to off load Olsson I'd bloody love Warnock to come back. A proper football player. In fact the third best left back I've seen in the blue and white halves in my 50 years of supporting the Rovers. Le Saux being just in front of him (and equally as spikey) and Keith Newton being the stand alone best.

Archived