BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Championship 2013/14

Hard one to answer, I've obviously seen more of Austin than Rhodes. I don't think there is a huge amount between them as goal scorers but I do get the feeling that Rhodes has a more professional approach. Then again you did pay around 8 times what we did for Austin so you'd expect at least that. I'd expect over the medium and longer term he (Rhodes) will prove to be a better striker. I don't think you'll recoup your money on him easily though, simply because you paid so much. That said if he starts this season as he did last you might find some PL clubs sniffing in January.

Both score goals but I doubt Rhodes would find it so easy in the PL because of his lack of physical presence. He also contributes very little outside the box and is not good with his back to goal, so when he is not scoring goals his use to the team is limited. PL strikers have to contribute all over the pitch these days and Rhodes does not do that. Seen only glimpses of Austin but his allround game seems better than that of Rhodes to me.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Both score goals but I doubt Rhodes would find it so easy in the PL because of his lack of physical presence. He also contributes very little outside the box and is not good with his back to goal, so when he is not scoring goals his use to the team is limited. PL strikers have to contribute all over the pitch these days and Rhodes does not do that. Seen only glimpses of Austin but his allround game seems better than that of Rhodes to me.

I have to say I disagree with you Jim, Rhodes has more of an impact on a game than some strikers. He is not a complete forward or lone strike in terms of his all round game, but he certainly contributes more to creative phases than some poachers I have seen. He is stronger than you give him credit for, he is good in the air, he contributed 4/5 assists last season and he is intelligent.

He is let down occasionally by a loose pass or first touch - but mainly his lack of pace. He really does not move well at all, and hopefully this may improve at Brockhall. Watching him go the same pace as Danny Shittu last season shows why so many other clubs didn't take a gamble on him.

Jordan's on downfall is he is lacking in accelleration and pace - which is absolutley crucial at the higher echelons of football. Some players have found a way round pace issues (particularly in deep midfield) and if he can be professional and keep learning the game he will pop up in more and more goal scoring positions. He is one of the best finishers (at 21/22 years old) I have ever seen, He has just turned 23 and if he develops his experience like some strikers do, he may become unplayable in his late 20's. Like a Scottish Van Persie (who isn't the fastest..)

He has just turned 23 and if he develops his experience like some strikers do, he may become unplayable in his late 20's. Like a Scottish Van Persie (who isn't the fastest..)

The first yard is in Rhodes's head not his legs. In RVP's case it's the first two yards.

• Backroom

Taraabt to go out on loan

Wonder if he will end up back in the premiership I can see a Cardiff, Hull or Palace taking him

Guest Norbert

@SkySportsPeteO: QPR are lining up a move for Wolves midfielder Karl Henry. #qpr #wwfc

Isn't he one of Joey Barton's best mates? I believe this is the kind of situation that would make you say "awkward."

QPR do seem to be getting in big names - well names with a reputation at any rate. Dunne joined and will be interesting to see if he's mentally and physically up for it, whilst they're also looking at Hooper and have signed Simpson. Will be interesting to see if these players are ready to do the graft and grind needed for a successful championship team. As we found out last season players with big egos and lacking the hunger do very badly in this league. I wonder if there's a real danger with QPR if this will be the case for them as well. Can't comment on Henry - although the Wolves players' attitude has come in for a lot of criticism from their fans, but along with playboys like Simpson and the question marks over Dunne professionally over the years it'll be interesting to see whether they implode.

Also just seen the Dingle's latest signings link - www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23377740 Hardly inspiring, a Huddersfield reject says it all. Can see them struggling loads and next season may well be the last dingle derby for quite some time with this caliber of signing.

QPR do seem to be getting in big names - well names with a reputation at any rate. Dunne joined and will be interesting to see if he's mentally and physically up for it, whilst they're also looking at Hooper and have signed Simpson. Will be interesting to see if these players are ready to do the graft and grind needed for a successful championship team. As we found out last season players with big egos and lacking the hunger do very badly in this league. I wonder if there's a real danger with QPR if this will be the case for them as well. Can't comment on Henry - although the Wolves players' attitude has come in for a lot of criticism from their fans, but along with playboys like Simpson and the question marks over Dunne professionally over the years it'll be interesting to see whether they implode.

Also just seen the Dingle's latest signings link - www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23377740 Hardly inspiring, a Huddersfield reject says it all. Can see them struggling loads and next season may well be the last dingle derby for quite some time with this caliber of signing.

I am not sure about that !

There as never been a 3rd division derby , could be one next season especially if Rhodes leaves ..Cos i think we are in more peril than them , if that happens ..

Guest Norbert

If Burnley lose Austin, they'd probably be in more danger than if we lost Rhodes. We'd still have DJ, Rochina and Best who could just about get enough goals to keep us safe, whereas they have to get someone in.

If Burnley lose Austin, they'd probably be in more danger than if we lost Rhodes. We'd still have DJ, Rochina and Best who could just about get enough goals to keep us safe, whereas they have to get someone in.

Now now boys. Whilst I fully accept we are in for a tough season I think it is a little premature to write of signings simply because it hasn't happened for them elsewhere. I'll adopt a watching brief for now, they've signed and deserve a chance to show they are up to the challenge. I can't say anything that has happened at your club for the last few seasons has made me think you are likely to get out of this league except via the trap door anytime soon.

On the Austin thing - I'd prefer to keep him of course but if he goes, ah well cest la vie. Pre season suggests Ings is showing the ability many of us long suspected he had. We do also have goals in a few other players as well.

I don't think him going massively increases the relegation threat we face, that has been clear all of last season and pre season so far hasn't improved our chances. Then again 'it's a funny old game' and as poor as we were for much of last season we finished above you. I am expecting a long slog for us this season where we are in and around the bottom for most of it but I won't be writing of our new players just yet.

Now now boys. Whilst I fully accept we are in for a tough season I think it is a little premature to write of signings simply because it hasn't happened for them elsewhere. I'll adopt a watching brief for now, they've signed and deserve a chance to show they are up to the challenge. I can't say anything that has happened at your club for the last few seasons has made me think you are likely to get out of this league except via the trap door anytime soon.

On the Austin thing - I'd prefer to keep him of course but if he goes, ah well cest la vie. Pre season suggests Ings is showing the ability many of us long suspected he had. We do also have goals in a few other players as well.

I don't think him going massively increases the relegation threat we face, that has been clear all of last season and pre season so far hasn't improved our chances. Then again 'it's a funny old game' and as poor as we were for much of last season we finished above you. I am expecting a long slog for us this season where we are in and around the bottom for most of it but I won't be writing of our new players just yet.

Longsiders - am not wild about our chances either (although things do seem more settled than the chaos of the last campaign which can only help.)

Nor am I saying that signings have to be successes elsewhere to work. But being honest - do either of them inspire confidence that they'll improve the team? It's not like the manager knows them and how to get the best out of them, or they've performed well at this or a lower level, or have shown any great potential. It seems to me to be a numbers for numbers sake signings. I'm not saying right them off, but you have to concede that on the face of it neither signing seems likely to improve the team.

On the subject of the championship it seems like Watford are getting a strong squad together - surely this must be the most pointless embargo ever?!? I also think Ipswich will do alright. They performed well under McCarthy last season and he's bringing in players he's worked with before who should be able to cut it at this level.

Longsiders - am not wild about our chances either (although things do seem more settled than the chaos of the last campaign which can only help.)

Nor am I saying that signings have to be successes elsewhere to work. But being honest - do either of them inspire confidence that they'll improve the team? It's not like the manager knows them and how to get the best out of them, or they've performed well at this or a lower level, or have shown any great potential. It seems to me to be a numbers for numbers sake signings. I'm not saying right them off, but you have to concede that on the face of it neither signing seems likely to improve the team.

On the subject of the championship it seems like Watford are getting a strong squad together - surely this must be the most pointless embargo ever?!? I also think Ipswich will do alright. They performed well under McCarthy last season and he's bringing in players he's worked with before who should be able to cut it at this level.

Well not exactly. That said our centre mid looked so poor last season that the lad from Huddersfield would struggle to be a lot worse. By all accounts he's done we'll in pre season and is only 24 but I admit if we don't sign Jones as well (or similar) then Id be even more worried than I am. Noble is a tricky one, he's only 22 so I'm not sure it's fair to say he's failed. Looking at his record he's hardly played but it is fair to say he hasn't shone during his loan spells away from Sunderland. Our manager came with a reputation of knowing the young players in the country well, think he was helping out with the under 21 s etc so maybe he's seen more of them than we know. I guess all that is a long winded way of agreeing with you really :-)

Agreed your pre season has seemed a lot more settled and you might yet turn out to have a decent season if they carry on in this fashion, you do still have some decent players and paper to have jettisoned quite a bit of baggage.

Also agree with your view on Watford and Ipswich. Those 2 with Bolton and the relegated sides looking like the ones to watch right nowat the top - unfortunately my attention is likely to be at the opposite end of the table, fear we will need a decent result against your shower to have anything to cheer about this season.

We've (Huddersfield) have just signed Hogg from Watford. I'll be honest and not really registered who he was previously but the Watford fans seem to be gutted that they have let him go. It seems he was the steel and workhorse in the centre of their midfield and played 41 games for them.

Anyhow combined with a resurgent Lynch at centre back, Smithies in goal, Hogg in midfield, Vaughan and Patterson upfront, you know we actually have a very decent spine to the team. The team (unlike under grayson) are looking fit, organised and willing. I would suggest an outside bet for the play offs...

Its going to be an interesting season.

• Backroom

So Bolton failed to go up due to one goal - funny I thought they missed the play offs due to one goal, also he gives Freedman all the credit for Palace going up. He truly is the new Coyle! Nixon has already set it up so if he succeeds he's a genious and if he fails its the owners at fault

On Bolton it seems Stuart Holden has done his cruciate again

Surprised more people didn't have us for relegation in that article. Mainly reasonable assessments but the Bolton fan sounds almost as deluded as Nixon on their manager. Bargain basement? Has he seen their wage bill? You want bargain basement look towards Turf Moor, if we finish outside the bottom 3 it will be a good season, top 10 will be a minor miracle.

I know the burnley fan who did ours, he's far more optimistic than I am but he also sees them more than I do. The rovers fan was surprisingly balanced in his assessment.

So Bolton failed to go up due to one goal - funny I thought they missed the play offs due to one goal, also he gives Freedman all the credit for Palace going up. He truly is the new Coyle! Nixon has already set it up so if he succeeds he's a genious and if he fails its the owners at fault

On Bolton it seems Stuart Holden has done his cruciate again

Shame for the lad. He doesn't appear to have done a great deal since he played a blinder against us in what was to be Sam's last game and the beginning of the end for us.

Archived