BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Istanbul - please help- media blackout out here

Don't want to be negative, but there is simply no way I could ever see that happening in this country. We simply don't seem to have the togetherness a lot of other nations do.

It is very much an every man for himself attitude in this country. Whether that is due to the diversity of our country and the high levels of immigration, or simply because of the way we have developed as a society I don't know.

I just get the feeling that our government could pretty much do what they wanted and most of us would sit there and swallow it, allbeit we would do a hell of a lot of moaning at the same time - but taking action?!, nah, doesn't seem to be our thing.

I agree. I'm pretty sure (correct me if I'm wrong) that they wanted to raise the retirement age in France by a couple of years and there were riots in the streets.

It's rumoured that to try and keep population levels down, eventually a 2 child only policy will be brought into the UK. That wouldn't be accepted in other European countries such as France. If it does come to fruition, I'll bet we'll just accept it.

As for why we don't have that togetherness.....a lot was probably down to Thatcher.

I think it was actually Braddock who made the point of this massive stigma being attached to benefit cheats despite tax dodgers being so much worse. It's stuff like that, class distinctions and what have you.

Then you've got the constant made-up or exaggerated stories of racism that serve to divide-and-conquer. (Not all of them are obviously).

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's rumoured that to try and keep population levels down, eventually a 2 child only policy will be brought into the UK. That wouldn't be accepted in other European countries such as France. If it does come to fruition, I'll bet we'll just accept it.

Where's that rumoured, www.bullshit.com?

There wouldn't be riots, it would just be ignored and overturned in the courts.

I think you're wrong there Silas & Salgardo, over 2 million turned up on the anti war demo

http://www-958.ibm.com/software/data/cognos/manyeyes/visualizations/92378038591f11e0b864000255111976/comments/92398932591f11e0b864000255111976

Sadly a lot of recent protests (the anti war being a notable exception) tend to degenerate into Students and rent-an-anarchist vs the police.

Back in my day, we knew how to do it in style :) (94 kill the bill protests)

Though these days we're better dressed :)

Anonymous_Protest.jpg

I think you're wrong there Silas & Salgardo, over 2 million turned up on the anti war demo

http://www-958.ibm.com/software/data/cognos/manyeyes/visualizations/92378038591f11e0b864000255111976/comments/92398932591f11e0b864000255111976

Sadly a lot of recent protests (the anti war being a notable exception) tend to degenerate into Students and rent-an-anarchist vs the police.

Back in my day, we knew how to do it in style :) (94 kill the bill protests)

Though these days we're better dressed :)

Anonymous_Protest.jpg

Who did those organisers estimates, B***ley FC?

upadates... into a cooling period at the moment.

BBC suspends involvement with one of the big Turkish broadcasters NTV because they would not broadcast the bbc programme that was critical of the Turkish tv's lack of reporting of the protests

the protesters have decided to press on with their occupation of Gezi park

I thought that they might stay for the weekend but then move on. not sure if this will spark the conflict back up again?

The narrative of these protests is certainly not clear, moving up and down, backwards and forwards.

the Turkish youth are extraordinarily creative.

Someone has created a platform 3D computer game based on Chapuling (the word that Erdogan said when calling them looters but they have turned it into a badge of honour and even a verb... ' we are off tfor a bit of chapuling'). :D

Anyhow here is the youtube and a link to the download of the game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZ4vHe4FwmM&feature=youtu.be,

another turn in the events of this country. Erdogan has just finished making a speech to his supporters in Ankara and said the following:

1. once again, that protesters drank in mosques and that they attacked head-scarved women ( this is clear lies and said to stoke up the masses.)

2. in some countries police uses real bullets.. but my police was patient. My police has been attacked. 600 r injured

3. By tomorrow Taksim should be emptied, if not this country's security establishment knows how to clean it up.

So maybe the storm that I expected to come on Thursday night is due to arrive tomorrow?

Or is it just an empty threat like the last 3 orders to leave the Taksim and gezi park have been?

I wonder if he will order his supporters to march on Taksim? Interesting times once more...

Yep, fair play to them, they are not going to be ignored are they. Loving the mothers forming a human chain, great stuff.

Don't want to be negative, but there is simply no way I could ever see that happening in this country. We simply don't seem to have the togetherness a lot of other nations do.

It is very much an every man for himself attitude in this country. Whether that is due to the diversity of our country and the high levels of immigration, or simply because of the way we have developed as a society I don't know.

I just get the feeling that our government could pretty much do what they wanted and most of us would sit there and swallow it, allbeit we would do a hell of a lot of moaning at the same time - but taking action?!, nah, doesn't seem to be our thing.

Sad really, how spineless we have become.

Good luck to the Turkish and I hope they get the result they are seeking.

'I'm a publisher by profession and the more I see of the Englishman, the more bewildered I become. They're the kindliest souls in the world but if they see anything beautiful flying in the air, they rush for a gun and kill it. If an earthquake devastates North Borneo, they dash off, block up the traffic for miles round trying to hand over money for earthquake relief, but do you think they'll lift a finger to abolish their own slums? Not they. If you assault a man in England and bash his teeth down his throat and kick him in the stomach, that's just playfulness and you'll get fourteen days in the jug. But if you lay a finger on him and pinch his watch at the same time, you'll get about three years. You can do pretty much anything you like to a stag or a fox. That's sport. But you stand up and say you approve of bull-fights and see what happens to you. You'll be lucky to escape with your life. And there's another thing. Fancy dress. They're always getting themselves up in fancy dress...'

England, Their England. AG McDonnell

(First published 1933. And still in print, remarkably.)

It's easy dishing out advice when you're sat at home dressed as Batman with a bottle of Lancaster Bomber in your hand.

But keep posting, Diziet2.

• Backroom

'I'm a publisher by profession and the more I see of the Englishman, the more bewildered I become. They're the kindliest souls in the world but if they see anything beautiful flying in the air, they rush for a gun and kill it. If an earthquake devastates North Borneo, they dash off, block up the traffic for miles round trying to hand over money for earthquake relief, but do you think they'll lift a finger to abolish their own slums? Not they. If you assault a man in England and bash his teeth down his throat and kick him in the stomach, that's just playfulness and you'll get fourteen days in the jug. But if you lay a finger on him and pinch his watch at the same time, you'll get about three years. You can do pretty much anything you like to a stag or a fox. That's sport. But you stand up and say you approve of bull-fights and see what happens to you. You'll be lucky to escape with your life. And there's another thing. Fancy dress. They're always getting themselves up in fancy dress...'

England, Their England. AG McDonnell

(First published 1933. And still in print, remarkably.)

It's easy dishing out advice when you're sat at home dressed as Batman with a bottle of Lancaster Bomber in your hand.

But keep posting, Diziet2.

Really?! He used a phrase like "block up the traffic for miles" in 1933 when the car had only really been introduced recently and there was only around a million of them in the whole country?

Seems a bit strange that.

Really?! He used a phrase like "block up the traffic for miles" in 1933 when the car had only really been introduced recently and there was only around a million of them in the whole country?

Seems a bit strange that.

Hi Silas.

No worries.

I have a copy here which I quoted from.

It is strange. I guess our idea of traffic is mixed up these days with cars and highways etc and the size of towns now is so much different.

But really. The novel is a satire and should be understood as such.

We're full of contradictions. Best make a virtue out of them.

(I was referring to me, Silas, when I mentioned the Batman suit. Carmen Miranda now, anyway.)

I see them clearing the tents by hand now. How did they manage to clear the people (especially when they'd failed at every attempt so far)/

Also what's DHA's position? They now seem to be filming on the ground with the people clearing the area. Does this mean these are authorised pro-government broadcasts? If not how can they get there, but the protesters can't?

Great footage now. Water Cannon vs simple trigonometry. Stand 2ft in front the the armoured vehicle and it can only shoot over your head. Armoured vehicle reverses, protesters follow it :)

Yes I am not sure how or where the feed is coming from... one is filming from an over looking hotel the othe a guy in the park? how I don't know.

Amazying bravey by those two to stand in front of that toma.

People are massing on the largest of the streets into Taksim. called istikal.

Archived