BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Benni McCarthy Retires

It was a priviledge to watch that lot turning out at ewood..... and maybe one that many did not fully appreciate. Anybody who watched the club through the 60's 70's and 80's and witnessed such dismal talents as Gilliver, Fryatt, Lord, Radford etc could never ever have imagined that the likes of this chap would play in the blue and sign for us.

The stuff of legends from Wiki... He (BenniMac at Porto) grabbed the Golden Boot award (with 20 goals in 23 games) on the final day with a terrific hat-trick, and was instrumental in Porto's superb run in the 2004 UEFA Champions League, which they won. Notably, he was responsible for scoring two goals against Manchester United to defeat them in the second round.

Lest we forget. Before the Walker years the likes of Shearer, Sutton, Sukor, BennyMac, RSC, Cole, Jansen, Bellamy would only ever have come here in some 3rd round cup tie.

Benni had brilliant skills. It is a shame it ended the way it did, I always thought his head got turned by hints from Mourinho. But I will never forget that goal against Arsenal.

I was thinking we watched a lot worse than the players you listed! Jack certainly brought a pride and joy that we could never have expected, as we conceded 7 to Shrewsbury. Coming away from the Selhurst despair in '89, we would never have believed what was only just round the corner. Here's hoping for the next corner!!!

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Benni had brilliant skills. It is a shame it ended the way it did, I always thought his head got turned by hints from Mourinho. But I will never forget that goal against Arsenal.

Me neither. I was bang in line with that and it was in as soon as it left his boot.

A goal against Liverpool holds equally special memories too. A scintillating piece of player started by Tugay (God in our house) who sold such a dummy to StevieG that he was completely bamboozled and left sitting on his arse in the middle of the pitch (not Steve's fault.... I was 16 rows back and went the same way as him! :rover:), a pass to MGP and a superby driven cross emphatically finished by BenniMac. Breathtaking stuff by breathtaking players. Will we ever see their like again?

Me neither. I was bang in line with that and it was in as soon as it left his boot.

A goal against Liverpool holds equally special memories too. A scintillating piece of player started by Tugay (God in our house) who sold such a dummy to StevieG that he was completely bamboozled and left sitting on his arse in the middle of the pitch (not Steve's fault.... I was 16 rows back and went the same way as him! :rover:), a pass to MGP and a superby driven cross emphatically finished by BenniMac. Breathtaking stuff by breathtaking players. Will we ever see their like again?

History repeats itself. In the depths of the third division days, I used to listen to one of my neighbours waxing lyrical about the silky skills of Douglas and the way he tricked his way around the Arsenal or Utd keeper...... I still loved the likes of Johnny Price, Tony Field and Kit Napier though. Funny old game!

Bentley was often hailed as the 'next Beckham'. IMO, he was technically superior to Becks and could've gone a long way had he not been a 42 carat plonker.

Bentley was hampered because he played for Rovers, and as such he didnt get picked for the international squads, despite totally deserving to. He moved to Spurs to progress his career, it didnt work out for many reasons, but mainly because of injuries. Theres a lot of bad feeling about the manner in the way he handled the transfer to Spurs, but take that away, and its the injuries that have killed his career, much the same as Thommo, Jansen, Dunn and also forced Duff out of the first team at Chelsea too (although i dont agree 2 league titles is somehow a disappointment)

History repeats itself. In the depths of the third division days, I used to listen to one of my neighbours waxing lyrical about the silky skills of Douglas and the way he tricked his way around the Arsenal or Utd keeper...... I still loved the likes of Johnny Price, Tony Field and Kit Napier though. Funny old game!

I think this is an important point.

Listening to the current generation of old folk, they refer to the bad/good old days of being lower league nobodies when strikers who drank and smoke by the bucketload could even score goals.

I even hear that this is our rightful place, outside of the top flight.

The old people of their generation would, quite rightly, say that we belong in the top flight and were one of the best teams in the country.

Our day will come again and my generation (only old enough to know the Prem era) will hark back to the days of Tugay, Shearer and Benni Mac.

Listening to the current generation of old folk, they refer to the bad/good old days of being lower league nobodies when strikers who drank and smoke by the bucketload could even score goals.

The old people of their generation would, quite rightly, say that we belong in the top flight and were one of the best teams in the country.

Our day will come again and my generation (only old enough to know the Prem era) will hark back to the days of Tugay, Shearer and Benni Mac.

Amazing to read that post and be referred to, as the current generation of old folk. I am 49 Next month, still running, decent distances (Two marathons in last 6 years) and pretty sprightly, I hope for me age. I was 7 when I started watching the Rovers in 1972 and remember only, the players who smoker and drank a but too much.

The legendary Simon Garner (who my son is named after) and even Tony (caretaker manager of the century) smoked and drank their fair share. I guess we just loved the club and still do. It saddens me, what the current owners have done, more than where we now find ourselves, as a true fan just loved the club and still do. Most of us have ensured, the club have fans for the future, as my son and daughter are both mad Rovers fans, despite being brought up in Bolton.

Without individuals willing to spew countless millions on a dead duck our rightful place is in footballs backwaters. Money is the vital ingredient and the good supporters of Blackburn Rovers simply wont provide enough to fund the club in the Premier League.

• 1 year later...
  • Backroom

Well what goes around comes, he was stealing a living off rovers the last couple of years of his contract

Disgusting comment.. It was a pleasure watching Benni play his football at our club.

Hopefully he can get over this traumatic experience quickly.

Best wishes Benni!

Archived