BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Messi accused of tax fraud

China, India and Brazil have progressive tax systems while Russia has a flat tax system but is so corrupt I doubt if anyone pays tax at all. As a tax avoider yourself perhaps you should move there.

The US, Germany, Japan, Britain, Canada, France, Australia etc etc, the bedrocks of the world economies, all have progressive tax systems.

It's obvious you don't have a clue what you're talking about.

Why is it that poor and underachieving people like yourself carry such huge chips on their shoulders through life? Why don't you go and suck on someone else's tit?

Why is it that poor and underachieving people like yourself carry such huge chips on their shoulders through life? Why don't you go and suck on someone else's tit?

Why is that greedy people like you try to avoid paying the taxes that every other working person pays ? Why don't you go and live and Russia ?

Messi's

Messi's spent his life kicking a football about for which he is paid an extraordinary amount of money. It is not unreasonable to expect him to pay taxes like every other working citizen.

Are you just being deliberately provocative or are you ill ?

Even without the amount he thought he'd managed to squirrel away from the taxman's greedy claws, I would imagine that Messi paid more in tax last year alone than every single member of this forum has paid in their entire lives.

He's provided more than his share.

Why is that greedy people like you try to avoid paying the taxes that every other working person pays ? Why don't you go and live and Russia ?

Hey up! It's the King of wit, backchat and repartee again. :lol:

btw 'every other working person'?? I've just paid a window cleaner in £ notes, and a joiner too for a small job. Last week I went out for a few beers and afterwards I had a take away curry and a taxi home. All fine, upstanding citizens and hard working people I'm sure, and it's none of my business but how much of that do you think ends up in the public purse?

I think tax payment or avoidance is a very emotive subject for most working people, the majority of us hate paying it yet recognise it is a necessity for the functionality of society. However those with the most have the best tools to avoid or to minimize their contributions, whilst the majority of these schemes are legal, a large proportion of the working public see them as unfair, since the masses don't have the same access to these avoidance plans.

Is it fair that multi-millionaires pay a much smaller percentage than the average joe?

Is it fair that huge multi-nationals paying almost negligible tax on billions of turn over?

I personally have always got nailed to the wall and wouldn't recognise a tax break if it walked up and bit me in the ass, that doesn't mean I wouldn't take one if it was available.

I do however have massive issues with inheritance tax. I have always worked, always paid tax and always paid my way. During my working life I have saved and paid off my house with monies that I have paid the going rate of tax on, when i go and leave the house to my kids, they will face a tax bill, taxed twice on the same money, this isn't fair or just.

• Backroom

I think tax payment or avoidance is a very emotive subject for most working people, the majority of us hate paying it yet recognise it is a necessity for the functionality of society. However those with the most have the best tools to avoid or to minimize their contributions, whilst the majority of these schemes are legal, a large proportion of the working public see them as unfair, since the masses don't have the same access to these avoidance plans.

Is it fair that multi-millionaires pay a much smaller percentage than the average joe?

Is it fair that huge multi-nationals paying almost negligible tax on billions of turn over?

I personally have always got nailed to the wall and wouldn't recognise a tax break if it walked up and bit me in the ass, that doesn't mean I wouldn't take one if it was available.

I do however have massive issues with inheritance tax. I have always worked, always paid tax and always paid my way. During my working life I have saved and paid off my house with monies that I have paid the going rate of tax on, when i go and leave the house to my kids, they will face a tax bill, taxed twice on the same money, this isn't fair or just.

Agreed fully. Tax evasion? @#/?s. Tax avoidance? Until the govt sort it out THEY are to blame, not those who utilise it imo.

Alot of people would - I'm sure Messi hasn't done anything illegal. It's the job of governments to outlaw tax breaks and close down tax havens - something which the G8 will be discussing in Lough Erne next week. It's about time too - the rich have ridden on the backs of the poor for too long.

Everyone has an inheritance tax allowance of £325,000 (think that's right), more than enough for most people.

* 'every other working person'?? I've just paid a window cleaner in £ notes, and a joiner too for a small job.

Like alot of subjects, you haven't got a clue.

• Backroom

Re: 'enough for most people', I don't think that's anyone's right to say. If I save £500k (or billions upon billions) after tax, I should be able to give that to whomever I want in death. Imo, the govt takes it's share of your money in life and after that it's yours to spend/giveaway as you wish.

Inheritance tax is a form of grave robbery imo!

Anyway, that Messi, eh?

Everyone has an inheritance tax allowance of £325,000 (think that's right), more than enough for most people.

Wouldn't cover my bogs. :tu:

There should be no inheritance tax on one property. What right have the govt got to force peoples children to sell their home and move out if they cannot afford to stump up 40% of any value over the threshold once their parents have died? It can easily be the only home they have ever lived in and cause financial and emotional upset.

Inheritance tax is a voluntary tax - everyone knows with financial planning (not tax avoidance) there are ways round it. You're again showing your ignorance.

Going back to Messi, I'm sure he's above board but if he's found to have been evading tax the offence in Spanish law is punishable with a jail sentence.

A high profile figure like Messi behind bars might a be a good thing and warning to the world's rich that everyone has to pay their taxes.

• Backroom

Inheritance tax is a voluntary tax - everyone knows with financial planning (not tax avoidance) there are ways round it. You're again showing your ignorance.

Going back to Messi, I'm sure he's above board but if he's found to have been evading tax the offence in Spanish law is punishable with a jail sentence.

A high profile figure like Messi behind bars might a be a good thing and warning to the world's rich that everyone has to pay their taxes.

Well clearly not everyone as I don't :P

Re: Messi I agree IF he's done it.

Why have the damn thing in the first place then?

How does IHT arise? Oh, that's right, by someone passing on their house to their kids. And how did they purchase their house? That's right with income. Income that they were already taxed on.

Inheritance tax catches the unwary or those who cannot be bothered to make any arrangements. There's a good case for getting rid of it but govt is unlikely to do so because it brings in billions every year.

If you have an IHT liability because of rising house prices it only seems fair to me because houses are exempt from CGT (which is wrong in my opinion). Why should anyone get rich just by staring at the wallpaper ? Rising house prices do more damage than good and are a principal reason the economy is in unbalanced and in such a mess.

Anyway back to (alleged) tax evader Messi...

Re: 'enough for most people', I don't think that's anyone's right to say. If I save £500k (or billions upon billions) after tax, I should be able to give that to whomever I want in death. Imo, the govt takes it's share of your money in life and after that it's yours to spend/giveaway as you wish.

Inheritance tax is a form of grave robbery imo!

Balls! It just keeps money in the upper classes and hightens the wealth divide. That's how society ends up with spoilt rich kids who contribute and value nothing.

People should earn their money, not be gifted a silver spoon. As Jim said, £325k is more than enough for anyone. That stills gives them a MASSIVE headstart in life that should mean they'll never want for anything. Over that and it's glutony.

Balls! It just keeps money in the upper classes and hightens the wealth divide. That's how society ends up with spoilt rich kids who contribute and value nothing.

People should earn their money, not be gifted a silver spoon. As Jim said, £325k is more than enough for anyone. That stills gives them a MASSIVE headstart in life that should mean they'll never want for anything. Over that and it's glutony.

So employing that logic inheritance tax should be 100% of everything one owns? Are you religious? Job 1:21

Inheritance tax catches the unwary or those who cannot be bothered to make any arrangements. There's a good case for getting rid of it but govt is unlikely to do so because it brings in billions every year.

Has a government ever abolished a tax? I very much doubt it.

It's the same as privatising national utilities. They're already owned by the people, you can't sell them what they already own.

As much as I can't stand public school toffs who don't know what a hard day's work is, you can't tax people twice.

Without a doubt society needs some redistribution of wealth to protect its most vulnerable, I think simplifying the tax system would be a good start. And hammering Amazon, Apple, Google and Starbucks would also be on the list. After that, hit Jimmy @#/? Carr.

Archived