BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Attendances 2014

Interesting subject.

Most regulars at Ewood get a 'feel' for the gate and it isn't difficult to segment the ground and make an estimate of the number of fans in each section.

I only went 4 or 5 times myself last season but my understanding is that there was a fairly widespread view that the reported gates were perhaps 2 to 3 thousand higher than the perception of those on the ground. In addition, it was speculated by some on this MB that the reported gates did not tie-in with police numbers.

Understand your point about counting tickets sold but I would suggest that it's highly unlikely that 2 to 3 thousand season ticket holders out of 7 to 9 thousand season ticket holders didn't turn-up for each match.

I think there are simple ways and means by which any club can 'legitimately' boost its season ticket numbers (eg creation of complimentaries which may or may not be used) and hence its reported gate. There, perhaps, lies the answer if there is such an issue.

Bring back the days when we used to underestimate the gates. For alleged tax purposes

Archived