BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Martin Olsson

what`s worng with looking at an in-form and rated full back from league 1 or 2? will be reasonably priced and eager to do well at a higher level. alan wright from 4th division blackpool back in the day is a good example.

No problem at all. It just depends on who is available and how much they would cost.

I do like the idea of an experienced player on that side though. If we're playing Henley, Dann and Hanley in the back four then Dann is by the far the most senior but still only 26.

No point keeping him if he won't perform to his full potential in the Championship, he'll probably go on and do well for a club he actually wants to play for.

Too many players of this ilk and we don't need them at the club.

Well, I'd argue we do need them. Selling them is a better option than keeping them and them playing badly, but both are a worse option than keeping them and them playing well.

How many 1st team games does a player need to start before he can qualify as being experianced?(hanley for one must be on around the 50 mark)

It's not like there is a set number, but nobody would call a 21 year old centre back "experienced" !

Not having a go at anyone but there seems to be a massive emphasis on "experience" and "inexperience" when we talk about our squad. Should it not be "good enough" and "not good enough"? Keith Andrews and Danny Murphy are experienced but that counts for nowt.

"Good enough" isn't right either. Murphy is good enough just doesn't appear to be motivated.

It's all well and good being "good enough" but experience is what you need to win matches.

what`s worng with looking at an in-form and rated full back from league 1 or 2? will be reasonably priced and eager to do well at a higher level. alan wright from 4th division blackpool back in the day is a good example.

Wasn't that back in the day when dedicated football people ran the club for the good of the club, unlike today where agents dictate, with money being the main objective.

I disagree.

Let's assume for a second that Murphy is really "good enough". If he's not motivated well, for me, that tallies up to "not good enough". What is the point of "good enough" without motivation? You're sort of saying he's a Ford Mustang without any petrol.

To take this to the extreme and, while I think Scott Dann is "good enough" for us, let's stupidly compare him with Phil Jones. OK, I've come to a conclusion. "Experience" can still count for bugger all.

Now imagine the mistakes that a team of 11 Phil Jones would make.

Not having a go at anyone but there seems to be a massive emphasis on "experience" and "inexperience" when we talk about our squad. Should it not be "good enough" and "not good enough"? Keith Andrews and Danny Murphy are experienced but that counts for nowt.

You just need a few experienced players in the team. Or you end up like Villa.

I guess the real question is, how did Kenny and his team buy excellent players at high prices while everybody since then has either not taken that route or just failed?

Simple.... when KMD was around there was only us with big big money to throw around. Now thanks to the Sky deal for Prem clubs (plus a few billionaire foreigners) every club has it.

In this morning's LT Bowyer has said that it would take a big offer for Rovers to sell Olsson. However, his agents are determined to get him out of Rovers this time round. I hope this one doesn't get ugly.

Who's his agents please.

Olsson was a player I expected to be outstanding when we went down but to be honest he has been average so if anyone is daft enough to pay £4M for an average 2nd Division player we need to take the money. Suspect Norwich are going on reputation rather than any knowledge of his recent performances.

I'm sure it will have no effect on what actually happens with this but would Olsson actually get into a full strength Norwich team?

They have already signed Garrido after his loan last season so I don't see him being first choice fullback and Pilkington plays from the left doesn't he?

He was an average player at best during his career, never set the world alight. I seem to remember that he did not have the best reputation as a player. No idea how he is as an agent though.

These are the players in his stable:

http://www.fotbolltransfers.com/site/agent/400

Oh yeah, values in SEK, before you get too excitetd about potential values of Martin... ;)

Archived