BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers looking to appoint Director of Football

Guest Norbert

Hypothetically speaking, Souness would be interesting. He'd probably like the 'father figure' role for Bowyer without the immediate pressure of being a proper manager. Could he be a good influence in the scouting, co-ordiation of coaches etc. that the role may also entail though? Or will he just ring his mate Willie McKay to see if he has any players?

Not sure where Tugay would fit into the coaching structure. We already have first team coaches, so he'd have to be down with the kids.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can just imagine Souness taking orders from the Venkys!!!!!!

Flying out to Pune every month or so to be given his instructions by Madame........Oh to be a fly on the wall at that meeting........yes there would only ever be the one.

That vision has sent me to bed chuckling. :D

That butthole? No thank you. One of those corporate gobshites who got over promoted and made sure everyone knew he was 'the big man'. Classless and pretty much clueless. Not a D of F either.

Saves me posting about Cook. Thanks norbert.

Guest Norbert

You're welcome. I didn't even mention that incident with Micah Richards' mum. Cook was Man City's Shebby Singh.

Guest Norbert

Are you aware that there have been several coaching appointments already? Have you seen that McPhillips is the Assistant manager? That bloke from Carlisle has just come in? That Craig Short has also come in? So where would Tugay fit in? As the 3rd 1st team coach? 2nd Assistant manager? And is he really all that as a coach? How do you know for sure?

Are you aware that there have been several coaching appointments alreaidy? Have you seen that McPhillips is the Assistant manager? That bloke from Carlisle has just come in? That Craig Short has also come in? So where would Tugay fit in? As the 3rd 1st team coach? 2nd Assistant manager? And is he really all that as a coach? How do you know for sure?

I woud take a chance on tugay ahead of the nobody's that are here now.

Guest Norbert

You'd sack someone who has probably only just moved here a couple of weeks ago? Nice to see you would give them a chance. I'd also like Tugay here as it happens, but I would not want to force him onto the manager in such a heavy handed way. McPhillips seems to work well with Bowyer, so that role should be left alone. The other people such as Grant may be 'nobodies' without that star name but they may be very efficient and good at their jobs. If a space did open up, I'd like to see Tugay back, but it is probably best to let this new coaching team settle in. After all, we hardly had anyone last season.

• Backroom

On what basis? Just what explanation do you have that such a move could be of any benefit outside of sentiment.

Everyone from Bowyer downwards is there purely on merit and the fact Bowyer trusts them (maybe Short is a little dubious on that front). Which of McPhillips, Grant, Kinder etc is a 'nobody' re: coaching?

On what basis? Just what explanation do you have that such a move could be of any benefit outside of sentiment.

Everyone from Bowyer downwards is there purely on merit and the fact Bowyer trusts them (maybe Short is a little dubious on that front). Which of McPhillips, Grant, Kinder etc is a 'nobody' re: coaching?

Bowyer's there on merit??? Pull the other one. He's the default manager who just happens to be there...right place at the right time....and only in the job because he did marginally better than the shyte we've had in there.

They are all nobodies and we'll see that when the season starts. We need character and a bit of charisma from our management and I see none of that.

Guest Norbert

Steve Coppell did alright for himself, and he's the most boring man I've seen on TV. And I'd say that Bowyer did more than marginally better than the other 60 managers we had last season. Tell you what Sparky, let's just sack all the coaching team and get in Christopher Biggins, Brian Blessed, Gok Wan, Frankie Dettori and Prof. Brian Cox in. Then we'll walk the league with all the character and charisma the coaching team would have!

Bowyer's there on merit??? Pull the other one. He's the default manager who just happens to be there...right place at the right time....and only in the job because he did marginally better than the shyte we've had in there.

They are all nobodies and we'll see that when the season starts. We need character and a bit of charisma from our management and I see none of that.

Maybe you should have applied then, Mr. Charisma!

• Backroom

Bowyer is the nobody that saved our season. Get some perspective. Or maybe Kean was 'somebody' because a guy he appointed is now Real Madrid coach?

Bowyer proved himself to us last season. Anyone he brings in has my full backing until they prove otherwise.

Bowyer also has to prove himself over a full season and I think he will. We have a hungry young manager who has a bit of something. He appears to have a good relationship with every player in our squad AND has signed players who either have something to prove or are willing to work to try and reach the PL.

The coaches he appoints are people he trusts. When Hughes was here, Niedsewki, Bowen, Hodges etc were all nobodies too. They did alright.

What on earth for? Superb talent that he has and although I've never met him I don't really see him as a dedicated and single minded coach capable of improving and developing players.

that's my understand aswell that Bowyer wants a director of football in place.

what duties will the director of football/technical director have we don't know.

If Bowyer wants a DoF in place then I'm sure that it will be someone he trusts and someone he can work with and knows he not after his job.

what do fans feel if Bowyer wants a Director of Football in place???

Personally I reckon he might need a DOF in place to act as a buffer between himself and Venkys.

With any 'structure' (if that's even the right word with Venkys involved) roles should be defined based on the skill-sets on offer, if Bowyer is saying we need a DOF then fair enough, I guess that means he wants less involvement with certain parts of his job that he simply does not want to do (and more time with the players).

I think one of the main reasons that it has not been a success in the UK in general has been because the DOF has been brought in not at the request of the manager but more by owners trying to replicate foreign systems or gain more control over the team.. simply put if Bowyer wants it, is involved and we get someone who can work with not dictate to the manager then we could be onto a good thing.

Archived