BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Wimbledon 2013

It was him making comments about supporting Portugal before England played them in a World Cup or Euro championship game I was referring to Darren. Anyway I forgave him last year after his Olympics triumph. The line you quote is in the second verse which is never sung and even if it was, I know that no Scot would sing it!

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was Paraguay. And a ridiculous situation which led to thousands of pathetic English sending threats and hate mail to a 19 year old kid.

It was also in 2006. It's extraordinary that it STILL seems to be a lot of people's prevailing memory of him. The year previous, as a complete rookie, he almost took out David Nalbandian despite being barely able to move and Nalbandian being absolutely world class and a previous finalist. And then that year beating an Andy Roddick still somewhere near his prime and arguably the second best grass court player on the tour at the time.

Imagine making a relatively inoffensive quip and being made to pay for it seven years on. And in fact the only way you can make people warm to you is win an Olympic medal or break down in tears in front of a nation. If only it was fashionable to hide behind the word "banter" at the time, he could probably have dodged the bullet.

One of the biggest criticisms that people have about Murray is that "he's boring". That's a situation entirely created by the fact that he's had to shut down around the media in case something like that happens again. One of the real tragedies is that he's actually a very funny guy but feels he has to shut down around the media in case jokes get misconstrued. Can't win.

In a way, I'm actually kinda glad he won the US Open first. It meant the people who genuinely cared enough about him to stay up until 4 in the morning got to enjoy the moment, whereas the people who couldn't give a sh*t about tennis apart from two weeks a year didn't get to revel in any sort of Wimbledon triumph.

Or maybe some of us just enjoy SW19 ?

I hope Murray does it, there's no reason why he can't get past Djokovic. Can't see Laura getting much further despite coming back from match point yesterday, but at least she looks and sounds like a girl !

Grunting and screaming like an idiot every time you play a stroke is just embarrassing, and what about the white dress code getting breeched ever so slightly ?

Laura might get Serena next bit she'll have no chance in mixed singles

• Backroom

It was him making comments about supporting Portugal before England played them in a World Cup or Euro championship game I was referring to Darren. Anyway I forgave him last year after his Olympics triumph. The line you quote is in the second verse which is never sung and even if it was, I know that no Scot would sing it!

Yes, comments directed at Henman, who was equally deriding Scotland. It was banter and the media did their usual crap in turning a British tennis hopeful into a zero.

I'm English but generally support Italy over England. That doesn't make me anti-English because it's only football. Rovers before England for me.

Shame Robson lost, with Serena out she could be forgiven for eyeing up a semi final place at least.

The women's game is wide open, she could be very successful over the coming years.

Fingers crossed for a routine Murray victory.

Horrible feeling he's going to run out of steam and lose in 5.

He's being way too passive in the rallies and his second serve is way below par.

If he does sneak through he'll need to improve massively.

• Backroom

He's done Britain proud there, made hard work of a routine match but got there in the end

Do it for her majesty Andy

Although he didnt play great, that match is what makes him this country's greatest current sportsman. Incredible fight and tenacity, hopefully he plays better on Friday. He'll have to as breaking the Janowicz serve won't be easy.

Guest Norbert

The same Scotland that has been gash at every other sport except Murray and Sir Chris Hoy? No doubting he's better than Henman, but not because he's Scottish is it? More to do with having a single minded pushy mum who was determined to revel in sporting glory through her kids.

• Backroom

The same Scotland that has been gash at every other sport except Murray and Sir Chris Hoy? No doubting he's better than Henman, but not because he's Scottish is it? More to do with having a single minded pushy mum who was determined to revel in sporting glory through her kids.

Both Murray brothers stated in a recent documentary (BBC?) that their mum had nothing to do with pushing them into tennis other than the usual parental support (this despite the fact she could have coached them somewhat, as a former pro).

5 sets and Verdesco's hair didn't move once, thats the real winner today.

BTW anyone see the cringeworthy interview straight after the game finished? "Do you think you'll get the hairdryer treatment from Ivan?" I think he got 3 questions in before Murray walked off.

Guest Norbert

Both Murray brothers stated in a recent documentary (BBC?) that their mum had nothing to do with pushing them into tennis other than the usual parental support (this despite the fact she could have coached them somewhat, as a former pro).

I'll assume that the above is true then if they say it. She does have that look about her though. I don't know what it is.

The same Scotland that has been gash at every other sport except Murray and Sir Chris Hoy?

You seriously think that statement is true? Granted Scottish sporting achievements have been thin on the ground in recent decades but I suggest you check your history. Off the top of my head Alec Ferguson, Kenny Dalglish, Jackie Stewart, Andy Irvine, Jim Clark, Eric Lidell, Matt Busby, Jock Stein, Bill Shankly, Robert Millar, Chay Blyth, Dennis Law for a start. Some real rubbish in there.

There are plenty of sports at which England have been, and arguably still are, rubbish, including football, cricket, tennis and cycling depending on how old you are and which decade(s) you chose to look at.

No doubting he's better than Henman, but not because he's Scottish is it? More to do with having a single minded pushy mum who was determined to revel in sporting glory through her kids.

Many, many sports require strong parental involvement. It's a simple fact, and tennis is a prime example, because parents have to support their children as UK sports funding is historically poor.

One of my sons happened to play tennis in the same group as the young man who runs Hawk-eye at most tournaments. His parents drove him all over the country to tennis tournaments, got him a US tennis scholarship etc. it's not pushy, it's what you do.

This isn't necessarily how it should be but it's how it is.

You may not like the lady's appearance but she is an established tennis coach.

Off topic fact people may not know, Murray was in the classroom during the Dunblane massacre.

Mine was a statement on the same level as the frankly embarrassing British when he wins, Scottish when he loses.

I think Paul gave you enough examples of hugely successful Scots in sport to show you how wrong your comment is.

Archived