BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Wimbledon 2013

• Backroom

It's the same with Djokovic's missus, Fed's missus, was the same with Henman's and Rusedski's.

Irrelevant anyway. Wimbledon is like the holy grail of British sport, for a Brit to win it is absolutely brilliant. I've thought it for a while now, but surely Andy Murray is Britain's greatest current sportsman? Is there anyone else who succeeds week after week against opponents of the class that Murray has to contend with?

I can't think of anyone and certainly no footballers come close and as an aside i'd rather have him and his supposed lack of personality than the likes of John Terry and co anyday.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't think of anyone and certainly no footballers come close and as an aside i'd rather have him and his supposed lack of personality than the likes of John Terry and co anyday.

Mark Cavendish is the greatest road sprinter in history so I'd throw him up there. The Brownlee brothers, Wiggins, Mo Farah and the likes also come close. Murray though will go down as an all time great. Be very interesting to see how many slams he can win. The Australian Open can't be far away considering how close he's come before.

• Backroom

The only downside for Murray is that nothing he does in his career from now on will surpass today. Or at least, I don't see how it can.

Thought Djokovic was out of sorts today, but Murray punished every mistake mercilessly. Played like a champion and fully deserved his victory.

Mark Cavendish is the greatest road sprinter in history so I'd throw him up there. The Brownlee brothers, Wiggins, Mo Farah and the likes also come close. Murray though will go down as an all time great. Be very interesting to see how many slams he can win. The Australian Open can't be far away considering how close he's come before.

Decent examples, but Wiggins and Farah haven't done it with Murray's consistency? It's certainly not a golden era for middle distance running, it may be for cycling I don't know. It certainly is for tennis.

Murray is all set to win more slams now, Nadal may miss the US Open, Federer is more than beatable and he's now beaten Djokovic in as many finals as he's lost to him in. Straight sets will do wonders for his confidence. The mystique is gone, he knows now what those who have followed his career since the beginning already knew - he's as good as anyone in the World right now.

• Backroom

The only downside for Murray is that nothing he does in his career from now on will surpass today. Or at least, I don't see how it can.

Thought Djokovic was out of sorts today, but Murray punished every mistake mercilessly. Played like a champion and fully deserved his victory.

Beating Federer in next year final may top it, he may not be world number one but isn't he still pretty much the man to beat?

• Backroom

Beating Federer in next year final may top it, he may not be world number one but isn't he still pretty much the man to beat?

I still don't think it would eclipse that feeling of finally doing what no man from Britain in 77 years has been able to do at Wimbledon.

No, Djokovic is the man to beat and has been for the last 2 years. Murray has played him in 3 of the last 4 slams, Federer hasn't got to a final since last years Wimbledon, and his last win before that was the Australian Open in 2010.

A Grand Slam might just surpass it, don't you think ?

In pure tennis terms, winning the French Open would be a bigger feat than this. Very unlikely that will ever happen, but I'd be surprised if he didnt win atleast 1 Australian Open.

• Backroom

Sorry showing my lack of knowledge about the sport there

I'm not a big fan and as you could tell never been a huge Murray fan but found myself rooting for him today and chuffed for him

• Backroom

A Grand Slam might just surpass it, don't you think ?

As an overall achievement, of course. But I'm not sure it'll top it on an emotional level. A huge, huge weight was lifted off Murray's shoulders today and the pressure on him will never be as intense again.

Superb achievement, immensely happy and hope it goes some way to dispelling the myth that a. He has no heart, b. He is not as good as the top guys.

Personally think that Rafa is not only the best current player but the Goat too, if his knees hold up, he will be a tough nut to crack at US

Guest Norbert

Decent examples, but Wiggins and Farah haven't done it with Murray's consistency? It's certainly not a golden era for middle distance running, it may be for cycling I don't know. It certainly is for tennis.

Murray is all set to win more slams now, Nadal may miss the US Open, Federer is more than beatable and he's now beaten Djokovic in as many finals as he's lost to him in. Straight sets will do wonders for his confidence. The mystique is gone, he knows now what those who have followed his career since the beginning already knew - he's as good as anyone in the World right now.

Not so sure about Wiggins being in Murray's shadow. 4 Olympic gold medals spread over the last 3 Olympics along with the Tour De France, along with many other cycling events. And track cycling is very different to the road races. Murray isn't the best Scottish sportsman, that is probably Sir Chris Hoy who is another brilliant sportsman who has done it over a long period.

Andrew Murray is thankfully a British winner, who is more than a one hit wonder, and in no way a nearly man like Henman. And most of that is down to Ivan Lendl.

Anyway, I was originally going to post how the politicans are all seeking to bask in his reflected glory by tagging along to centre court. They were all there except Nigel Farage.

It's the same with Djokovic's missus, Fed's missus, was the same with Henman's and Rusedski's.

Irrelevant anyway. Wimbledon is like the holy grail of British sport, for a Brit to win it is absolutely brilliant. I've thought it for a while now, but surely Andy Murray is Britain's greatest current sportsman? Is there anyone else who succeeds week after week against opponents of the class that Murray has to contend with?

Two names of British sportsmen that come straight to mind are Phil Taylor who for me is undoubtedly the greatest sportsman of all time 75 major titles including 16 world titles just a phenomenal competitor over so many years. The other one for me is Kevin Sinfield a fantastic player and leader who hopefully come November 30th will also be a world cup winning captain.

Murray is hardly perfect himself don't forget during the Verdasco game he was shouting all sorts of profanities when the camera was on him, which if a footballer had done he would have been castigated for it but the press and the BBC just made a joke out of it.

No, Djokovic is the man to beat and has been for the last 2 years. Murray has played him in 3 of the last 4 slams, Federer hasn't got to a final since last years Wimbledon, and his last win before that was the Australian Open in 2010.

In pure tennis terms, winning the French Open would be a bigger feat than this. Very unlikely that will ever happen, but I'd be surprised if he didnt win atleast 1 Australian Open.

Agreed Murray will never win a French Open. It is by far the hardest major to win Becker, McEnroe, Sampras, Djockovic, Edberg, Newcombe all have won the US Open, Wimbledon and Aussie Open but never won the French because in my opinion it is a tournament that is won by the best tennis player as there are a lot fewer cheap points on clay than on the grass or hard court. That is why Murray won't win it and why Rafa is so dominant on it and whilst around it is hard to see anyone else winning a French open except in freak result like against Soderling in 2009.

Pathetic how people 'can't stand him' etc

A Brit has just beaten the world number 1 in straight sets, grow up

I can't stand Murray and I most certainly do not need to grow up, in fact when he first started playing in majors I liked the man. The reason I don't like Murray now is that he appears to me to have forgotten his working class roots and has become a part of the British establishment taking he OBE, visiting the like's of Cameron and Brown at Downing Street, sucking up to that pompous self righteous lot in the Wimbledon crowd, spending millions on a mansion in Surrey. And what I dislike most of all about him is how he always used to wear Fred Perry clothing but as soon as he started to do well in Slams he dumped them for Nike and the big money.

I can't stand Murray and I most certainly do not need to grow up, in fact when he first started playing in majors I liked the man. The reason I don't like Murray now is that he appears to me to have forgotten his working class roots and has become a part of the British establishment taking he OBE, visiting the like's of Cameron and Brown at Downing Street, sucking up to that pompous self righteous lot in the Wimbledon crowd, spending millions on a mansion in Surrey. And what I dislike most of all about him is how he always used to wear Fred Perry clothing but as soon as he started to do well in Slams he dumped them for Nike and the big money.

Judging by that post I think you do. 'Forgotten his working class roots by accepting an OBE' ?

You're a clown mate

If he has earned millions should he not be able to spend it on a nice house in a location of his choosing?

Yes he should Tom

Judging by that post I think you do. 'Forgotten his working class roots by accepting an OBE' ?

You're a clown mate

By taking the OBE he joined the establishment that has no thought for the working class that he came from and I also listed other reasons not just that as to why he has forgotten his working class roots and joined the establishment.

Two names of British sportsmen that come straight to mind are Phil Taylor who for me is undoubtedly the greatest sportsman of all time 75 major titles including 16 world titles just a phenomenal competitor over so many years. The other one for me is Kevin Sinfield a fantastic player and leader who hopefully come November 30th will also be a world cup winning captain.

This has to be some sort of joke. Phil Taylor, pygmy darts player in a pub game that is not even a "sport", and Sinfield, hardly a household name in a minor sport played in only a few countries. He's so well known I had to look him up on google.

Did Andy Murray run over your pet cat ?

Murray comes from a middle class home in Dunblane. His parents were well off enough to send him to tennis school in Spain. Hardly working class.

Is someone here seriously trying to say that Murray, who has Worked incredibly hard to get where he is, should not be able to enjoy the fruits of his work and the rewards that come with it? How do you know he's forgotten his roots? The people of dunblane don't appear to think so - they were loving his win. You may not particularly like him - he is by his own admission, difficult at times, but you surely can give him credit for the effort he's put in physically and mentally to get to where he is and allow him to bask a bit in the glory of it.

Guest Norbert

He could have been another gallant loser like Henman, but he brought in Lendl, changed his attitude and won 2 Grand Slam events. That does deserve credit whatever social class you wish to put him in. As for Phil Taylor, it does feel odd calling any fat blomper a sportsman but he is a true great at his chosen sport, and can do stuff I could never do if my life depended on it.

• Backroom

If you watch that documentary about Murray (recently on the beeb) you'll know he'll never forget his roots in Dunblane. For both happy and sad reasons.

He's done himself proud imo and anyone who hasn't liked him in recent years has been a media sheep.

• Backroom

If you watch that documentary about Murray (recently on the beeb) you'll know he'll never forget his roots in Dunblane. For both happy and sad reasons.

He's done himself proud imo and anyone who hasn't liked him in recent years has been a media sheep.

Or they just don't like him maybe?(

I found it much easier to like him when playing that bloke in the semi, what an idiot he came across.

Fantastic performance today from Murray. I'm not a big tennis fan but I've enjoyed watching his progression through the tournament this year as I suspect many others have. If this inspires youngsters to take up the sport then I feel that he has achieved success in more than one way.

Wow. Remind me if I ever get a few million in the bank to not buy a yacht, lest I forget my middle class roots. What a bizarre take on things.

As a few people on here know, I've followed Murray's career relentlessly since he came onto my radar by winning the US Open Juniors. In the early days that meant lots of sitting in front of live score websites or getting updates from forums where there were perhaps about a dozen regular contributors. Now, thankfully, his ascent to elite level means he barely plays a match that isn't televised.

Now that I reflect on things, I have so many memories:

Being a break up in the third set against Nalbandian at Wimbledon, only to run out of steam

Him throwing up at his first US Open

Beating Robin Soderling to get into the top 100

Beating home favourite Srichipan in Thailand to reach his first ATP final, where he gave Fed a decent game (and even broke him in the second set) before losing in straights

Taking Nadal all the way in the Australian Open before losing in 5

Beating Roddick and then Hewitt to win his first title in San Jose

Beating Federer for the first time - and then going on to do it again and again and again

Losing to Verdasco in Australia - I finally thought he was ready to win a Grand Slam and then was reminded how difficult it is to get there

Beasting Nadal to get to his first US Open final

All the heartache of the slam defeats

Jumping up and down on a train platform when he beat Tsonga in last year's Wimbledon semi

And loads more

I think I thought that him winning Wimbledon would be the pinnacle, both emotionally and in terms of achievement. But actually I didn't feel the same as I did when he won the US Open. Perhaps it's because he was never behind. Perhaps it was because it was 5 in the afternoon and not 3 in the morning. I don't know. But I think the US Open was the moment he exorcised any demons he had. Yesterday was simply him proving that he could beat the best, and that he has the ability, the game, and the mindset to be the best in the world.

Watching him mature from being a weedy, talented, headstrong kid into what he is now is pretty inspirational, and highlights how disappointing it is when people waste their talents and accept mediocrity. Footballers especially could learn an awful lot from his hunger. As T4E says - this is a genuine golden era of elite level tennis. It would have been so easy to sit back and think "I'm not as good as those guys, but there's no shame in that, and I'm a millionaire already, so I should be happy with my lot".

It also re-emphasises just how much Rovers have fallen as a source of pride in my life. I get far more from watching a true sporting hero compete than I do from watching our hollow shell of a club. Years ago, us beating Arsenal in the FA Cup would have been a true moment to remember. This year I wasn't even there, I didn't even check the score until half an hour after full time, and the joy disappeared within minutes. It's so sad.

Archived