BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Wimbledon 2013

I think I thought that him winning Wimbledon would be the pinnacle, both emotionally and in terms of achievement. But actually I didn't feel the same as I did when he won the US Open. Perhaps it's because he was never behind. Perhaps it was because it was 5 in the afternoon and not 3 in the morning. I don't know. But I think the US Open was the moment he exorcised any demons he had. Yesterday was simply him proving that he could beat the best, and that he has the ability, the game, and the mindset to be the best in the world.

Watching him mature from being a weedy, talented, headstrong kid into what he is now is pretty inspirational, and highlights how disappointing it is when people waste their talents and accept mediocrity. Footballers especially could learn an awful lot from his hunger. As T4E says - this is a genuine golden era of elite level tennis. It would have been so easy to sit back and think "I'm not as good as those guys, but there's no shame in that, and I'm a millionaire already, so I should be happy with my lot".

That sums up pretty well why I find it so easy to support and take pleasure from the success of Andy Murray. He has a level of drive and fight that is absolutely remarkable, and very rare in British sporting personalities. Even yesterday, he has 3 break points in the first game and lost them. He was a break and 4-1 down in the second set and roared back. He dropped an early break in the third and then got broken again, only to come back. Then he had 3 championship points, lost them all and still fought back! All against the greatest player in the world right now, and one that when he retires will be looked at as being in the top 5 of all time. The mental strength it must take to stay focused under the enormous strain of all of that is incredible, there's a reason why no British man in 77 years has been able to win Wimbledon, even those close to being good enough crumbled under the pressure.

He's a fantastic role model for any young boy or girl looking for a career in elite sport.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By taking the OBE he joined the establishment that has no thought for the working class that he came from and I also listed other reasons not just that as to why he has forgotten his working class roots and joined the establishment.

I take it you are some way off this years Honours list?

My you are an embittered soul. One thing I can guarantee is that Murray will have worked much much harder than you! Probably much harder than 90% of whatever you consider the working class to be too. Just what is wrong with raising yourself to better things? It's what people strive for.

As for Fred Perry / Nike who cares? He lives off his sonsorship deals more than his earnings and maybe if he had stuck with Fred Perry he may not have been in a position to donate his Wimbledon prize money to the cancer charity.

Murray's achievements in the past 12 months have been fantastic. Any personality issues should not even come into it. But even so he is hardly Public Enemy No 1 is he? In fact I was commenting yesterday that the top players all seem to be affable, polite and all round good eggs compared to the aggressive 'big hitters' from the 70's and 80's.

Murray probably isn't the fluffy, nicey nicey image conscious tennis player we're used to - but if he was would be have the guts and temerity to come through what he did yesterday? Being nice only gets you so far, just ask Tim Henman.

Anyway, I was originally going to post how the politicans are all seeking to bask in his reflected glory by tagging along to centre court. They were all there except Nigel Farage.

Wonder who paid for all their tickets?

Anyway, still delighted for Murray. Hope he continues to be himself, not the media personality some seem to want him to be.

Currently hold 2 of the 4 biggies, having missed the French with Injury. Pretty good going for me.

Regarding the cyclists, their achievements were last year, so not currently in the running for SPOTY.

Guest Norbert

Didn't realise it was a debate about SPOTY, no-one seemed to mention that in the posts I read. Murray would get it so far, but I'd give it to Chris Froome if he won the Tour De France unless Murray reaches the US Open final.

little known cyclist??/ hahaha trolling again.

Just laughing at your snide comment over league as well , a sport played by not many countries.As much as I love cricket ,how many countries play ? Going to work soon and not time to check but i would reckon it would be equal.

Back on topic , hahaha i guarantee this board and milions of house wives wont watch tenizzz again until next June . Bandwgon r us. (one or two % exeptions)

Mr Scotland will get his knighthood the tenizzzzzzzz interest will rise again but soon forgot again.

Tennizzzz in UK = 2 week experts.

If you care about a sport it's an all year round care. You get all these sport hating women who suddenly become experts in June . My mum in laws friend came round and said ohhh did you watch the tennis .. Er no I said can't stand it .

Guest Norbert

Good lad Andrew for putting Holly Wibbly in her place. It is none of her (or our) business when or if he gets married. Can't stand her or This Morning as a whole. Vacuous drivel for moronic passive/aggressive Tory housewives.

• Backroom

Abs how about this. I am an avid golf fan and absolutely adore the sport. But I only watch the majors and the Ryder Cup. So 340-odd days of the year I watch no golf.

Yes I realise your point about Wimbledon being our biggie, but most people I know also tend to watch the US and French opens. It's only my take on it ofc but I don't believe tennis is a 2 week wonder.

Abs how about this. I am an avid golf fan and absolutely adore the sport. But I only watch the majors and the Ryder Cup. So 340-odd days of the year I watch no golf.

Yes I realise your point about Wimbledon being our biggie, but most people I know also tend to watch the US and French opens. It's only my take on it ofc but I don't believe tennis is a 2 week wonder.

Why are you rising to him? His brain works only in black and white. I'm a massive Tennis fan, and watch it all year around, but I don't feel aggrieved that most people only watch it for two weeks every year. Does it make their opinions on the sport less educated? Yes. Does it mean that they cannot enjoy it for two weeks and watch it religiously for two weeks without feeling guilty?

Abso-of coursly.

Pees me off when everyone is suddenly tennizz EXPERTS and don't give a crap for the next 50 weeks

I love Wimbledon and have done ever since I was a kid, the All England club competition is the one all the pros secretly want the most. It's as English as fish n chips or giving your dog a name.

Do I prefer sportsmen / Women who are true athletes, who don't cheat, and respect the umpire ? Or do I respect the so called integrity of most mercenary badge kissers in the Premier League ? Or daft Americans running round in circles with crash helmets and body armour ?

No contest.

Good lad Andrew for putting Holly Wibbly in her place. It is none of her (or our) business when or if he gets married. Can't stand her or This Morning as a whole. Vacuous drivel for moronic passive/aggressive Tory housewives.

Yet you obviously watch it! B)

I watch very little of any of them and tbh I find it quite easy cos I've constantly refused to fill Murdochs pockets.

In this respect, Theno, you're a man after my own heart.

I refuse to put money into Murdoch's pocket as well.

Another thing, an avid golfer would rather play than watch, as would many a player of any sport.

99% of the time Dave. I must say this last Ryder Cup was a never to be missed event.

Archived