BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Clearout begins at Rovers

I would love to post a couple of dancing/celebration gif's but the reality is he is going nowhere until his contract runs out. No other club in the world would pay the coin he is currently earning at Rovers.

An unfair scapegoat or a player who has really declined and isn't worth the money he is on? I would go with the latter.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Peds has been a fantastic servant to the club and provided me with lots of fond memories, i think his decline begun at the back end of the MH reign.

He had half a good season under SA in midfield when he had 6 months left on his then contract.

cracking player in his early years though.

Train your eyes to watch the whole game not just the fancy stuff :P

Remember the game near the end of last season when Josh Morris was having a stinker? Pedersen came on at half time and covered him and helped him and he looked twice the player the second half

You've obviously got a man crush

He's not on that kind of money though, thanks to relegation wage drop clauses. Still on more money than we should be paying anyone in the championship, but let's not exaggerate.

You Sir are in for a surprise.

He's not on that kind of money though, thanks to relegation wage drop clauses. Still on more money than we should be paying anyone in the championship, but let's not exaggerate.

Should do everything we can to get rid of Murphy and Etuhu before we start trying to ship MGP out.

Hear Hear. How anyone can criticise mgp bearing in mind the dross in the rest of our squad is mystifying.

I would love to post a couple of dancing/celebration gif's but the reality is he is going nowhere until his contract runs out. No other club in the world would pay the coin he is currently earning at Rovers.

Which is? Lots of people refer to his remuneration without stating how much it is. Not only that but if he is still under contract he'd need paying up so we may as well keep him. Not like he's useless is it cos although he may not be what he was the midfield always functions better when he is part of it.

• Backroom

, compare to the likes of Givet who people love due to his warrior image but when the chips are down sulks and doesn't want to be here

agree 100% I still can't work out how people view Givet as a warrior with his antics over the last few years maybe peds should grow a beard?

Yep, I'm with you two. Why anyone wants this surrender monkey anywhere near our team is mystifying.

Givet was an excellent player for us, but that is the past, and that player clearly "left" the club a long while ago. I will not be sorry to see the physical carcass that is left heading out the exit door soon.

Couldn't care less how good he was a few seasons ago, he currently is everything we don't want at the club - stroppy, disruptive, and lacking commitment - not what I want around these younger, hungry players we have in the squad.

As for Peds, he is pretty average player nowadays, but IMO still has something to offer the club in some role or another, and his time served should have bought him a little bit more respect from our fanbase I think.

• Backroom

Should do everything we can to get rid of Murphy and Etuhu before we start trying to ship MGP out.

I agree with the latter part of your post, but believe me when I say I'm not exaggerating his wages. He didn't have a drop clause in his most recent contract (I believe that was from either Cryer or possibly Neild at the LET at the time it was signed).

Train your eyes to watch the whole game not just the fancy stuff :P

Remember the game near the end of last season when Josh Morris was having a stinker? Pedersen came on at half time and covered him and helped him and he looked twice the player the second half

MGP is a good player and I would be sorry to see him go. Works hard tracks back and keeps everything ticking over.

I'd also keep Givet and sort his head out as he's the best CB in this division when right as proven in his first match back.

Pedersen often trains with other clubs or personal coaches in summer to keep fit

People think he isn't committed because he doesn't fly into tackles all over the shop but I'd guess he's one of our most committed players and seems an all round good egg, compare to the likes of Givet who people love due to his warrior image but when the chips are down sulks and doesn't want to be here

His wages are a problem but I would like him to still be here next season

Mike - that comment IMO is a bit daft, his set pieces aren't perfect but there's a solid reason he's been our main taker of them for years under various managers and its not because he has nice hair. People have always made him a scapegoat though and it will never change

Excellent post. I don't really understand the commitment criticisms either. Flying into challenges is pretty idiotic considering how the game is reffed these days, and makes even less sense for an ageing player with declining pace who can't recover if he misses the tackle. Pedersen mostly seems to take up the correct position and rather than tackle anyone he just forces the opposition to probe elsewhere for weakness. As you stated in a later post the effect he had on tightening up Morris against Palace at home was massive.

The Givet thing is also a very good point and to me illustrates the superficial opinions of many fans. As for the free kick/corner thing, I find it baffling at times. I've watched fans go ballistic at a poor Pedersen corner and then develop instant amnesia when he takes a good one and not utter a word of credit. And it surely must be apparent to people how few players in general score from free kicks these days, simple reason being the wall is never 10 yards. Occasionally other players do take them for us with not a shred of success that I can recall. At least there is clear evidence of some absolute belters from Pedersen.

MGP peaked some years ago and has been living off former glories throughout that time. However, due in part to the halo effect and some niceties he expresses on his blog, the scathing criticism towards him has generated an apologist faction within the fanbase for what has been one of Rovers biggest underperformers in recent years. People argue that if truly declined after Hughes left, then how come he was a cog in Allardyce's team? I thought that would be self-explanatory. Allardyce had limited options at Rovers and a certain "style" of play which encouraged playing for set-pieces. Nine times out of ten Pedersen's set-pieces were poor but he always has the potential to pull a cracker from time to time. That was enough to keep him in an inflexible side that was working the percentages. Let it be said that Allardyce also rated Pedersen on long-throw duty despite the fact 99.99% of them found the head of the opposition. As someone on the higher end of the wage bill who was once one of our more inventive midfielders, it is not unreasonable at all to place a certain expectation on him that unfortunately not been met for several years now.

Yep, I'm with you two. Why anyone wants this surrender monkey anywhere near our team is mystifying.

Givet was an excellent player for us, but that is the past, and that player clearly "left" the club a long while ago. I will not be sorry to see the physical carcass that is left heading out the exit door soon.

Couldn't care less how good he was a few seasons ago, he currently is everything we don't want at the club - stroppy, disruptive, and lacking commitment - not what I want around these younger, hungry players we have in the squad.

As for Peds, he is pretty average player nowadays, but IMO still has something to offer the club in some role or another, and his time served should have bought him a little bit more respect from our fanbase I think.

I agree too. The age old theme of appearance and reality. We know that it takes more than a bald head and tracksuit to make a manager and more than a beard to make a warrior. Good in the past is no use now...Anyway, there seems to be something pretty fragile with Givet, the man, as far as I can see.

There is a helluva lot of primadonna victim centric crap about footballers these days. It seems to be part of the culture. We never hear any of that from Pedersen.We certainly did from Samba...another so called warrior...discuss!

The big problem for MGP over the past few years has been the type of players around him and the complete lack of a striker willing or capable of heading a ball time and time again. Yakubu wasnt that type of player, Hoilett wasnt either, Rhodes isnt, CKR wasnt neither was Gomes to name a few recent strikers.

If MGP had been playing with a Peter Withe, Andy Gray or Bob Latchford type centre forward then things would have been far more suitable for him one would think.

For me Id like to think that MGP still has far more to offer the team than some of the dross that we've had to witness over the past season or so.

Just one quality corner, or set piece for me would be the equivalent of a full seasons contribution from many of the midfielders that we've had the misfortune to watch over the past couple of seasons.

The big problem for MGP over the past few years has been the type of players around him and the complete lack of a striker willing or capable of heading a ball time and time again. Yakubu wasnt that type of player, Hoilett wasnt either, Rhodes isnt, CKR wasnt neither was Gomes to name a few recent strikers.

If MGP had been playing with a Peter Withe, Andy Gray or Bob Latchford type centre forward then things would have been far more suitable for him one would think.

For me Id like to think that MGP still has far more to offer the team than some of the dross that we've had to witness over the past season or so.

Just one quality corner, or set piece for me would be the equivalent of a full seasons contribution from many of the midfielders that we've had the misfortune to watch over the past couple of seasons.

Good points.

Also, I understand that Withe, Gray and Latchford are current available on frees. Food for thought there, Venkys?

Morten showed in his cameo appearances at the end of the season for the 1st time in years that he can still be effective, its up to him though to prove he can do it for 90 minutes week in week out, he's (I imagine)on to high of a salary just to be a bit part player.

I find it baffling at times. I've watched fans go ballistic at a poor Pedersen corner and then develop instant amnesia when he takes a good one and not utter a word of credit.

One such sat behind me before I binned my ST two years ago. I've had to rollock him for that a few times.

I had one behind me who did similar with Carsley when I used to sit on the Riverside. Every time he made a rick a stream of abuse was hurled down in his direction but when he made a good tackle / won a header / played an excellent pass nothing but silence.

I've noticed that irrational hatred of certain players does not appear to follow any logical thought in fact more usually no thought at all.

MGP peaked some years ago and has been living off former glories throughout that time. However, due in part to the halo effect and some niceties he expresses on his blog, the scathing criticism towards him has generated an apologist faction within the fanbase for what has been one of Rovers biggest underperformers in recent years. People argue that if truly declined after Hughes left, then how come he was a cog in Allardyce's team? I thought that would be self-explanatory. Allardyce had limited options at Rovers and a certain "style" of play which encouraged playing for set-pieces. Nine times out of ten Pedersen's set-pieces were poor but he always has the potential to pull a cracker from time to time. That was enough to keep him in an inflexible side that was working the percentages. Let it be said that Allardyce also rated Pedersen on long-throw duty despite the fact 99.99% of them found the head of the opposition. As someone on the higher end of the wage bill who was once one of our more inventive midfielders, it is not unreasonable at all to place a certain expectation on him that unfortunately not been met for several years now.

We all know that praise and adulation has a positive effect on certain players, and some more than others so do you think criticism from the terraces might have a negative effect and destroy confidence therefore resulting in worse performances?

I don't dislike Pedersen but he's been poor for 3 or 4 seasons now. In fact I think his rovers career nosedived pretty much after missing the simple header in the FA cup semi.

I think your expectations are too high now we are out of the Prem. If we had still been in the Prem I might agree with you. MGP might now be at an age where Prem football is beyond him (like every other member of our squad these days) but he is still easily good enough for this level. I'm sure any manager in the Championship would be glad to take him if we were to pay up his contract and give him a free.

Apart from no longer scoring long range blockbuster goals, MGP is pretty much the same player he was when he arrived. He's never had the ability to beat a man, has never been quick. The same people who dislike him now, are probably the same who used to mysteriously vote him man of the match way back when.

Theres far worse footballers at our club than MGP.

If you were to pick a squad of our top 16 players, he'd be in there. You want to concentrate on those who are picking up wages for zero contribution, and those who have signed them.

Almost a decade at the club and still we are having a debate over MGP. He is a nice lad a seems to really care about the club. He does take dangerous corners. He was never pacey. He is not a winger as he is slow. He is not central midfielder either, especially in English football. Getting him out of wage structure would be best solution for Rovers.

We all know that praise and adulation has a positive effect on certain players, and some more than others so do you think criticism from the terraces might have a negative effect and destroy confidence therefore resulting in worse performances?

Putting the cart before the horse there, Gord. If Pedersen has received flak from the terraces then it's likely due to him not pulling his weight. Even his own team-mates (i.e. Bellamy) used to give him a rough time for it, and that was the Hughes era.

Theres far worse footballers at our club than MGP.

Perhaps, but how many of them are on circa £30k a week? With our wage bill going through the roof, we should be looking to cut loose as many of the high-earners as possible.

• Backroom

One such sat behind me before I binned my ST two years ago. I've had to rollock him for that a few times.

I had one behind me who did similar with Carsley when I used to sit on the Riverside. Every time he made a rick a stream of abuse was hurled down in his direction but when he made a good tackle / won a header / played an excellent pass nothing but silence.

I've noticed that irrational hatred of certain players does not appear to follow any logical thought in fact more usually no thought at all.

I've noticed sometimes he can deliver a few good corners in a row then as soon as one is cleared some numpties will scream 'FIRST MAN EVERY BLOODY TIME'

I've realised some football fans are just a bit thick

Putting the cart before the horse there, Gord. If Pedersen has received flak from the terraces then it's likely due to him not pulling his weight. Even his own team-mates (i.e. Bellamy) used to give him a rough time for it, and that was the Hughes era. Perhaps, but how many of them are on circa £30k a week? With our wage bill going through the roof, we should be looking to cut loose as many of the high-earners as possible.

There is enough money to pay those who contribute. Its the ones who dont you need to get rid of (not easy).

Under "The one who should not be named" advisory, we were paying 80% of contracts upfront as a severance deal (listen to the phonecall), those who think Gomes has walked away for nothing are naive.

Almost a decade at the club and still we are having a debate over MGP. He is a nice lad a seems to really care about the club. He does take dangerous corners. He was never pacey. He is not a winger as he is slow. He is not central midfielder either, especially in English football. Getting him out of wage structure would be best solution for Rovers.

Putting the cart before the horse there, Gord. If Pedersen has received flak from the terraces then it's likely due to him not pulling his weight. Even his own team-mates (i.e. Bellamy) used to give him a rough time for it, and that was the Hughes era.

Perhaps, but how many of them are on circa £30k a week? With our wage bill going through the roof, we should be looking to cut loose as many of the high-earners as possible.

Go on then you two... tell us how you would go about that if it was your responsibility.

I've noticed sometimes he can deliver a few good corners in a row then as soon as one is cleared some numpties will scream 'FIRST MAN EVERY BLOODY TIME'

I've realised some football fans are just a bit thick

Too right.

I cringe everytime I hear someone moaning about the cross not beating the first man. It's as though they don't realise that every player in the football league can beat the first man every time if that's all they were tryig to do.

Archived