BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Glastonbury

I don't fancy Glasto much any more- the distance, (imagine the drive back after a festival....), the sheer size- and the fact that IMO it's really sold its soul.

What on earth are Rita Ora and Little Mix doing playing there? Not to mention Beyonce the other year.

Smaller festivals are where it's at IMO.

What makes you say that Glastonbury has sold it's soul? If you mean that you can no longer just rock up and walk in for nothing, meaning there are double the number of people that the site can cope with, then you're right, it has changed. But inside the new wall, the same old Glastonbury spirit is still very much alive.

I think anyone who just watches the BBC coverage, good though it is, isn't really getting any clue as to what it's like to go there. There are plenty of people who just go to watch the big bands on the big stages but if you just do that you're really missing the point of the festival. There is just so much more to do and see, that you can't find together in one place anywhere else.

This year I managed to see just 9 acts over 4 days - Lloyd Grossman (yes that one), Kate Tempest, Oysterband, a bit of Stornoway, Portishead, Elvis Costello, The Stones, Bassekou Kouyate and Lucinda Williams, plus bits and pieces of lots of bands I'd never heard of some of the more obscure of the 100 festival stages. I was volunteering for WaterAid, as I have done for the last 7 festivals, so was working 4 hours a day which meant that I didn't see some other bands I would have liked to but even so I spent more time talking with friends, meeting all sorts of random people and wandering the green fields and theatre and circus fields and drinking a bit too much.

And what's wrong with Rita Ora and Little Mix being on? They might be of no interest to you (or me), but I'm sure there were plenty of young kids who went along and enjoyed them. Or do you mean by selling it's soul that Glastonbury should just be playing music that you like? It's big enough that there will always be something interesting on for those open to hearing different things, so it doesn't matter who's on when you buy your ticket.

Although you're right that small festivals can be very good too. I'm currently contemplating going to Cloudspotting at Slaidburn at the end of the month. Line-up looks very good and it does matter at a small festival when that's all there is.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I go to this every year, and this time was particularly excellent - good weather, loads of amazing bands, interesting stuff to see, top quality cider (fourth Glastonbury in a row with no price rise at the cider bus, so hardly a rip-off) and great food. It's my favourite place on earth.

Highlight for me were Evan Dando rattling through his back catalogue on the Avalon stage (and the reaction from the audience at the end), Rufus and Martha Wainwright's duets in William's Green, Chic's array of disco hits, a deafening set from Dinosaur Jr, and the Biggles Wartime Band's singing fish.

Caught a bit of the Rolling Stones, just so I could say I'd seen them, then some of Public Enemy (without Flavor Flav, which was a bit rubbish - I don't think he was allowed to leave the US because of his upcoming trial) and then Chase & Status. Not many events where you can do that in the space of a couple of hours and still have about 100 other options for different entertainment.

The down side - it's barely 20 miles from where I live but it took five hours to get home on the train.

The down side - it's barely 20 miles from where I live but it took five hours to get home on the train.

Wouldn't it be quicker to bike it, using the festival's bag delivery service? It only took me 5 hours to get back to Preston!

Wouldn't it be quicker to bike it, using the festival's bag delivery service? It only took me 5 hours to get back to Preston!

How did you manage that? I've never heard of bag delivery.

Two hours queuing for the bus to get to the station, another hour and a half waiting for a train which then took almost an hour because it stops everywhere, then a taxi from the train station to my house.

I've done that before when it's been raining, so I had to stand the whole time with my rucksack on rather than drop it in the mud.

How did you manage that? I've never heard of bag delivery.

Two hours queuing for the bus to get to the station, another hour and a half waiting for a train which then took almost an hour because it stops everywhere, then a taxi from the train station to my house.

I've done that before when it's been raining, so I had to stand the whole time with my rucksack on rather than drop it in the mud.

I didn't do it as I live in Preston but I know about it as I researched options in 2011 when I cycled to the festival from London.

You can drop your bags off at a designated point in a large number of towns around the site and have them delivered and then returned to you for £15. Then you just cycle to the site and pick them up. Have a look at the festival website - the list of towns covered is still there.

I didn't do it as I live in Preston but I know about it as I researched options in 2011 when I cycled to the festival from London.

You can drop your bags off at a designated point in a large number of towns around the site and have them delivered and then returned to you for £15. Then you just cycle to the site and pick them up. Have a look at the festival website - the list of towns covered is still there.

Well, that's news to me. They actually do drop-offs in my town (Bath).

I think getting there by bike would be fine but I'm not so sure I could manage it on the way back - I barely have any energy left at the end.

Talking of smaller festival, is anyone doing Kendal this year? There are quiet a few BRFCS members there last year.

Public Enemy, Primal Scream, Basement Jaxx, Charlatans, Johnny Marr, Seasick Steve, 808 State, Ash, Ronnie Size, Kodaline, I am Kloot, Lightning Seeds, DJ Yoda ... and some amazing countryside .... all for £120!

Managed to get cheap weekend tickets to Shrewsbury Fields Forever. Tickets were only £29 for the weekend. Only a small festival but a couple of bands I quite like are playing, Athlete, Maximo Park, The 1975, Starsailor, and then in the dance tent it's Sister Bliss and K-Klass. Comedy on the Sunday provided by the excellent Dylan Moran.

Managed to get cheap weekend tickets to Shrewsbury Fields Forever. Tickets were only £29 for the weekend. Only a small festival but a couple of bands I quite like are playing, Athlete, Maximo Park, The 1975, Starsailor, and then in the dance tent it's Sister Bliss and K-Klass. Comedy on the Sunday provided by the excellent Dylan Moran.

Is there a festival this summer that The 1975 aren't playing?

To be fair Norbert it's not really Starsailor, just the lead singer doing an acoustic set.

He was supporting Bon Jovi the other week. Was sat there thinking it sounded kind of familiar.

My thoughts exactly Nick :)

I bet your car is scrapped before mine and mines already got 30 years on yours. The Essex engine just keeps on going. After 8 years your Audi will cost more to service than its worth.

Those warning lights will cost you thousands to get rid of.

Archived