BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers songs of 70s and 80s

Just sorting through a load of boxes and came across a vinyl 45rpm single, song title 'Never give in go out to win' by the Rovers squad and Blackburn End Choir' ! The flip side was 'Come on The Rovers!' I think it was released '73 to '75 and was at a similar time to when 'Blue is the colour' (Chelsea), Marching on together, we wanna see you win (Leeds) and Everton's song (name escapes me) were all released and are all pretty much their club anthems even now.

Our rendition could probably have won Eurovision: 'Never give in, go out to win, forever will be our aim. Blackburn Rovers the good old blue and whites, for our names sake to play is our delight. We'll never be failing in giving our best to test the rest at home and away...............(lyrical genius!)

May have been done before, so apologies if it has, it set the nostalgia bug going regarding old Rovers songs from 70s and 80s. Some wont be viewed as PC these days but reflect the era nonetheless. No offence intended but to the young 'uns these days, that's how it was.

To start it off:

'I was born in The Blackburn End, I was born in The Blackburn End.

Knives are made for stabbing, guns are meant to shoot,

If you come in The Blackburn End we'll all stick in the boot'

(To the tune of 'Wandering Star' - Dean Martin)

Repeat

There were lots of others .................................

Could never understand why that Frenzy track never charted.

What a tune, I had 3 copies, 1 that I won in a penalty comp in an Ewood open day during the summer in 86 I think. All 3 scored past Vince O'Keefe. Not that I'm derailing the thread in anyway but just thought I'd get that in.

They were cracking pens though.

I know the club are looking for something new to play pre-match, maybe this could be it!

I remember my Dad had this record, would love to hear it again!

Ben, with respect don't let Singh hear that, he'd probably implement it as it's that bad!

No harm in giving it a go. Can't be any worse than that version of wild rover we have at present!

'Search for a hero inside yourself' (M People) is probably more appropriate. I think we ran out to that once during one of Tony Parkes' temporary tenures.

Agreed regarding 'Wild Rover' , it's even more annoying when you're on hold for twenty minutes waiting for the ticket office!

Could never understand why that Frenzy track never charted.

What a tune, I had 3 copies, 1 that I won in a penalty comp in an Ewood open day during the summer in 86 I think. All 3 scored past Vince O'Keefe. Not that I'm derailing the thread in anyway but just thought I'd get that in.

They were cracking pens though.

Not knocking your pens but i bet Terry G would have stopped atleast one ^_^

Was that record not called "By Gum We'll Make it a Day"? Sure I've got in some where. The B side went something like

No matter where we're playing, no matter who we play

Good old Blackburn Rovers, we'll cheer them all the way

We get satisfaction, from watching the game we like

Seeing our team in action, the good old blue and whites

COME ON THE ROVERS

We should start a campaign to get them to run out to this.

Was that record not called "By Gum We'll Make it a Day"? Sure I've got in some where. The B side went something like

COME ON THE ROVERS

We should start a campaign to get them to run out to this.

Spot on with record title McClarky.

Regarding running out to it, good idea but it'll need a remix!

I remember Come on the Rovers being played more than Never Give In - is it just my memory playing tricks or maybe it was just more of a catchy tune? (controversial!!!)

One of my favourites from back then was

You are my Rovers, my only Rovers

You make me happy whrn skies are grey

You'll never know dear

How much I love you

Please don't take my Rovers away

Na na na na

Na na na na

etc to same tune

I also remember one

When the red red robin

Comes bob bob bobbin along

Shoot the c**t shoot the c**t

Bit vague on the why where and when of that one but sure somebody out there will know the history

I know this a bit off topic but this thread reminded me of 'burnleys going down forever' pre match rendition at the turf in 2010. For those who aren't aware, burnley's pre match anthem and cheesy attempt at galvanising the turf faithful was Altogether Now by The Farm. 3000 Rovers fans tweaked the lyrics a little and gave our own roaring rendition for the sky tv cameras!

COME ON THE ROVERS

We shoueld start a campaign to get them to run out to this.

I remember it as starting with ...no matter what the weather ..

You sure it was altogether now? I remember 'this is how it feels' by Inspiral Carpets being 'tweaked'.

Altogether Now was definitely played over the tannoy a few minutes before kick off, there was an impromptu tweaking of the lyrics from Rovers fans, and we drowned out the actual song.

Your right about This is how it feels by Inspiral Carpets. Good band by the way! We do have our own anti burnley version although it seldom gets sung these days. I won't post the lyrics on here!

Done a bit of googling on this.

It was recorded on a Carnforth based label called Deroy. The A side was recorded with the Rovers squad and a brass band called the Eagley Prize Band!

The b side 'Come on the Rovers' was the Blackburn End Choir.

By gum we'll make it a day was also featured on a compilation called Memorable Cup Finals (The official FA Souvenir album 1981) to celebrate their centenary.

No recording is on You Tube or any other service that I can see.

Can somebody who owns a copy get it online?

It was recorded on a Carnforth based label called Deroy. The A side was recorded with the Rovers squad and a brass band called the Eagley Prize Band!

By gum we'll make it a day was also featured on a compilation called Memorable Cup Finals (The official FA Souvenir album 1981) to celebrate their centenary.

I've got the disc, I'll get it up on YouTube in next few days.

It needs to be doctored for the modern age!

Over to you David Brent, DJPhillmac and Cheese!......

i have no idea where mine is.

i have no idea where mine is.

I don't know where my copy went to but I still remember the words.

Never give in, go out to win, forever will be our aim, and here's a song to help us along the way.

Blackburn Rovers good old blue and white, for our namesakes ,to play is our delight.

Whoever were playing, we'll never be failing, in giving our best to test the rest at home or away.

Our name is ranked among the all-time greats, we'll never say die, where here to try, and then to celebrate.

For we are the Rovers, were proud of our colours, on and on we'll carry to victory,

For the rovers we'll be scoring, for the Rovers they'll be roaring,

We'll never give in, by gum we'll make it our day.

That's how I remember it, but it was forty years since I last heard it, so I cannot give a 100% guarantee.

You sure it was altogether now? I remember 'this is how it feels' by Inspiral Carpets being 'tweaked'.

It was at halftime when 'Altogether now' was played, and the Rovers fans that day downed it out so much they turned the music off

Archived