BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Has this community lost its community spirit?

Cant a simple daily post limit be applied as a 1st strike(2nd strike being a short term ban)

The problem for me with saxo and braddock for example wasnt so much what they where saying, its was that they where repeating themselves excessively throughout the day.

Limiting daily post allowance could also make people put more tgought into what there saying and reduce the quick fire few word responces(which are usually just snidey or/and sarcastic)

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let me put it another way. Is the tolerance set at proper abuse like calling someone a **** or just set at a silly wishy washy soft lad level like calling someone an idiot?

Sorry, B&WA, I was being a bit flippant.

New members and existing members:

Should be emailed the guidelines and asked if they understood them, To which they must reply, and then be allowed to post.

Then:

Maybe it's as little as "three strikes and you're out" or maybe a little bit more, maybe less.

If they overstep those guidelines, then they've no one to blame but themselves.

It maybe onerous initially to the staff of BRFCS, but would lessen the workload over time.

I think we could really do with a really simple set of posting guidelines. Think the current ones are a bit lengthy.

How about these for short.

1. Don't be a dick

2. See 1.

... sadly for some posters we need a little more specific. :(

Cant a simple daily post limit be applied as a 1st strike(2nd strike being a short term ban)

The problem for me with saxo and braddock for example wasnt so much what they where saying, its was that they where repeating themselves excessively throughout the day.

Limiting daily post allowance could also make people put more tgought into what there saying and reduce the quick fire few word responses(which are usually just snidey or/and sarcastic)

Not only do we have that, we use it when we think it's needed. We just don't humiliate people by telling everyone when it's applied.

1. Don't be a dick

2. See 1.

Not only do we have that, we use it when we think it's needed. We just don't humiliate people by telling everyone when it's applied.

That's a pity, name and shame might just work

Really, i was completely unaware of it(it does answer something ive been wandering about though)

Maybe it would be a good preventative measure for people to not get carried away when arguing(myself included) if it was more known about and used more often.

I find the threat of bans has the side effect of people sometimes seemingly antagonizing others in an attempt to get them to flip(and thus receive a ban)

Al, I hold no sway in that regard I was just voicing my own opinion, for what it's worth I said earlier I beleive a probation period for new members with a zero tolerance policy would be beneficial

I'd be happy with that Tom. It's just that when we get a WUM or a troll on it seems to take for ever to get rid of them.

1. Don't be a dick

2. See 1.

Everyones level of dick and dickishness is different though.

Judging by the liberalism of the board as a whole I am surprised that anyone can not say anything they desire besides for mentioning God positively, Mohammad negatively, or agree that people should defend themselves from physical attack or robbery.

Besides that everything should be kosher.

:D

• Backroom

Open the floor and decide by majority rule... if a poster is being a blatant bellend and annoying everyone, stick up a poll asking if the person should be banned, and if so to what length... for example...

• No
  • No, should be made a mod/admin
  • Yes, week ban
  • Yes, month ban
  • Yes, 3 month ban
  • Yes, 6 month ban
  • Yes, and burn down his/her house too

Option with the most votes wins! Mods no longer have to worry about being criticised for overuse of power as they take the Egyptian army stance of "we're doing what the people demand" ...

... what could go wrong? :tu:

This is where moderation becomes amusing.

Abbey feels that we are overly harsh on him and others feel we let him get away with too much.

The more tickets you buy the more chance of winning the lottery.

That's what I am getting at. Surely a zero tolerance approach may mean the board will be left with just few non-banned members if the tolerance bar is set to a stupidly low level. After all most of us are idiots at one time or another and need telling.

A zero tolerance policy would simply be suicide for this mboard.

Seeing as the thread topic says 'community', having a interview/seconder system would be counterproductive, and more like a gentleman's private club. Two suggestions, take as seriously as you want:

1. Have a pinned thread where the mods/admin say who was banned, why and for how long.

2. Make Al a mod and see how board membership increases, or not. :P

Lots of interesting posts here and I'd like to concur with a number of repeated points

(1) that the fortune of Rovers may have affected the quality of the posts - after all when everyone is cheesed off with supporting
Rovers then the irritation & aggravation is going to be reflected here.

(2) I don't have a smart phone & I'm far too old and smart to think that any opinion I have carries any weight anywhere. I suppose a problem is that
too many people think that they can just bob in, leave an insult and disappear without trace.

(3) As has been suggested, perhaps there might be a "probation" period in which new users can have a month or two to post something worthwhile.

(4) I too have met a few people via this web site & without exception they have all been pleasant occurrences

(4) I too have met a few people via this web site & without exception they have all been pleasant occurrences

Inadvertently (I think) you've hit on a key issue.

People posting on mbs forget that they are speaking to real human beings. People who, in "real life", they wouldn't dream of insulting.

This is why real names can be a good thing.

Inadvertently (I think) you've hit on a key issue.

People posting on mbs forget that they are speaking to real human beings. People who, in "real life", they wouldn't dream of insulting.

This is why real names can be a good thing.

What about people who wouldnt post under their real names i.e policemen, insiders, etc?

I think the sentiment about its another person is right, just not sure making people reveal their real name is the right way to do this..

I think the posting limit and restrictions on new members, until they have proven themselves are good ideas (except possibly matchday chat threads)

Continued feuds and grudges played out over pages of threads do no-one any favours.

I suggest at the first sign of any such feud, a forum meet between the two persons involved, in the style of Gladiator.

Last man standing gets to continue posting on the forum.

Continued feuds and grudges played out over pages of threads do no-one any favours.

I suggest at the first sign of any such feud, a forum meet between the two persons involved, in the style of Gladiator.

Last man standing gets to continue posting on the forum.

That would weed out the keyboard warriors for sure.

The board was definitely better 10 years ago. These days its like the Python Argument Sketch on here.

There have been similar posts every summer for at least the last decade. The quality of posts always declines in the summer, kids are off school and there is little to actually talk about, so bickering ensues. Things will improve with the new season, as it ALWAYS has.

However, the site never really recovered from when it bizarrely became Nicko´s mouthpiece and fan club. It went from being a board for Rovers fans to being the play thing of a red-top hack. All that mattered was his titillating, yet inevitably anti-climatic, 11-o´clockers, and anybody daring to challenge him, including respected and long-standing posters, were rounded on and chased from the site. It happened insidiously, but it ruined what had always been a board for Rovers fans by Rovers fans. Nicko was neither a Rovers fan nor posting for the benefit of them.

The site can´t go back to what it was, so it is best not to try but instead enjoy it for what it is now.

Nicko provided a split in the membership when anybody who criticised him was lambasted by hordes of nickoteens. Similar splits have been caused by other footballing events. Ince / Allardyce / Kean /Venkys / Trust have all driven wedges into the membership ..... and that without taking into account the intellectually derelict pinko's on the ICBINF . ^_^

Events at the football club with Allardyce's sacking and Kean's recruitment split the fanbase right down the centre. Poor results, relegation, protests, plus a myriad of ridiculous and damaging decisions cemented the split. Comments on here, behaviour at matches and the general interaction between our supporters has reflected that divide ever since. To be expected really and hardly a major suprise.

Equally, it is unfair of members to expect over-burdened moderators to monitor every contribution and act accordingly. I feel it would be far better if members could self-police and regulate themselves by acting with some decency and respect to others using the platform provided. Although I am relatively new as a contributor on here, I was a reader and follower from afar for quite a while and would like to the forum to return to the standards set previously. Individuals should take more responsibility for their comments and posts and I would be in favour of anything that 1) helped the moderators and kept work loads to a minimum and 2) forced members to act more responsibly.

Good walk spoilt ;)

Try another one. That old potato has hair on it.

Whilst I have no intention of being a mod it is entirely possible that I will never play golf again due to a broken elbow. The surgeon told me it's the worst break he has ever operated on and at my age it will probably never be the same.

Archived