BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Looking Back

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good grief. Just looked myself up on the members list and found I joined in March 02! Didn't realise it had been that long. Doesn't time fly when you're enjoying yourself?

I think it'll be longer- I remember there was a changeover with the forum around that time when we all had to re-register and a lot of people's start date was March 2002, when in actual fact we'd already been members before this.

I joined in 1995 or 1996. I was the first person, after Lee Grooby, in the chat room! I don't post much any more because I don't go any more. I loathe the Venkys with a poison. I stopped going just after Kean got made up. I knew exactly from the day he was what would happen. For those who wanted Big Sam gone i say- Karma's a bitch, isn't it? personally, I sat too near the home dugout for safety as i would have taken a very large knife to use on Kean had I kept going.

I still watch for our results, but have fallen out of love with football, mainly due to the comparison with the events i attended at the Olympics and Paralympics which were wonderful. Not a multi-millionaire rolling around on the ground in sight.

I will go back when the Venkys go, if I haven't been soured too much by then. Maybe if they come out and say that they've been stupid, have taken bad advice, will sit back and let football people manage the club and never attend again, I might go back while they're still there.

We are a perfect example of why overseas owners are disastrous.

What a crying shame Jan. As far as I am concerned you were right up there as one of the best and most intelligent posters. Come back soon please.

Good grief. Just looked myself up on the members list and found I joined in March 02! Didn't realise it had been that long. Doesn't time fly when you're enjoying yourself?

I looked myself up after reading that and it states that I joined in March 2001. I know for a fact that I was a member before Dalglish was manager. What has gone wrong with the dates?

I looked myself up after reading that and it states that I joined in March 2001. I know for a fact that I was a member before Dalglish was manager. What has gone wrong with the dates?

Are you sure about that?

I was around in the mid-90's when Mr Grooby ran things instead of doing his job at the LT. :D Most of the communication was done via the previously mentioned and still functioning Rovers mailing list.

Here's how the original website looked on 30th December, 1996, pre-forums.

Eventually things went through a redesign and Lee left for pastures new. Here's how the current site looked on 1st March, 2001.

It was possibly a predecessor (I believe there was one called in 7:15 from Glasgow or something, named after the train the site's owner caught to Ewood) as brfc-supporters (as it was originally known) was created by Lee on 13 April 1996.

As mentioned above, a botched site upgrade did mess with a large number of people's joining dates in the early 2000s.

I was around in the mid-90's when Mr Grooby ran things instead of doing his job at the LT. :D Most of the communication was done via the previously mentioned and still functioning Rovers mailing list.

Here's how the original website looked on 30th December, 1996, pre-forums.

Eventually things went through a redesign and Lee left for pastures new. Here's how the current site looked on 1st March, 2001.

Interesting that most people were posting under their 'real' first names...

Yup, you're right. We had a botched software upgrade that reset a lot of people's joining dates. 2002 would be about right for when that happened.

Is that why nobody knows when I joined, I know it was in the 90's

Interesting that most people were posting under their 'real' first names...

yes, tried that until some dingles took exception to FACTS

:lol::lol::lol:

Hmmmm.

I remember reading a website that I thought was the predecessor to this one - using dial-up to look up information about this young kid called James Beattie who was going to be amazing. From that I joined a mailing list in about 95, I think. I remember logging into a school computer each lunchtime to read emails and had a chat with another user because I noticed his/her sig was made up of quotes from the Dune novels.

After that I was posting occasionally on the forum in about 98/99, ranting about how rubbish Darren Peacock was. I remember posts from Dave Birch, Spenny, Dave Farnsworth (?) and a few others. I wiled away hours of Uni 'study time' reading and sharing views and, am I remembering this right, a prediction league?

It's been a useful and entertaining thing for me through my adult life and I still take a lot from it now.

The prediction league you're probably remembering was run by a member of the mailing list (Mick Shephard??) - that was until he was warned off using the Premier League's copyrighted fixture list unless he paid a small fortune for a license. :angry2:

Are you sure about that?

Absolutely certain and I celebrated with the rest when we won the championship.

Al ... I'm not trying to be funny here ... but I'm pretty sure this website was not around in October '91.

Sometimes I swear half this site has me on ignore :)

.... as I mentioned above.

Lee started the site on 13 April 1996

and

People who joined before 2003 *may* have an incorrect joining date (and we no longer know what the real joining date is) due to a botched updated.

All we need know is some somebody to come along and ask if it's on Eurosport and Where's Freddy Adu! (Just to return this to 'looking back' :) ).

That's about right, Glenn, I first got on the web in April 1996 and found BRFCS almost right away.

It was at the point that Lee was taking over from Rob Ivison.

Looking back at the pages and the posters provided by Pabby, brings back some great memories of late late nights, sustainance provided by many a Hahn lager!

Archived