BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Is Ruben back?

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Means nothing.

I don't see teams queuing up to buy the likes of Maloney or McManaman.

But then maybe that's because I'm not an agent and I have no clue what's going on.

It means everything. Rochina has plenty of talent but no idea how to use it. He might go on to be a very good footballer. But most managers realise they have maybe 6-12 months in the job and they would rather some other sucker takes time to nurture this talent. He might create more than most but he concedes a lot too. I truly wish him all the best and enjoyed some fleeting moments of brilliance. But, and I don't say this lightly, I hold higher hopes for King than Rochina at this stage and in our position.

If we're gonna bring in creative central players then yea, he won't be this massive loss.

But I don't think we are, and instead will have to rely on Dunn who obviously can't play 50 odd games.

As it stands, they'll be plenty of times people will bemoan losing Rochina in this coming season imo. Just like after January.

Actually not many people did bemoan the lack of Rochina. He seems to be one of those players who is better when he doesn't play than when he's actually here on the pitch. Looking at someone else who had talent, Matt Jansen. when he came to us hewwas a head down show pony who scored spectacular goals, but he soon learnt to play others in, work hard and pass the ball. whilst i appreciate that Rochina did not come in at an auspicious time for the club with Kean in charge, if he'd had anything about him, he'd have worked out what he needed to do and done it. As it is, I saw little or no sign of improvement in his team play.

If we're gonna bring in creative central players then yea, he won't be this massive loss.

But I don't think we are, and instead will have to rely on Dunn who obviously can't play 50 odd games.

As it stands, they'll be plenty of times people will bemoan losing Rochina in this coming season imo. Just like after January.

Of course there will. Absence makes the heart grow fonder.

I dont profess to be an expert on championship seasons gone by, but I don't really remember too many sides getting promoted with a classic number 10 sitting in the hole. Most sides who manage it have a tight back four and pace on the break.

Everyone seems to love the midfield playmaker but there aren't too many who are really good at it.

There are fewer still who recognise they need to contribute to the team as a whole. Rochina is technically brilliant but I just dont see how a side so short on quality can afford to carry one who can turn it on every ten games or so.

I do remember a fair few comments criticising Appleton for letting him leave. Jansen had a decent manager. When Rochina played under Bowyer, almost everyone remarked at how much better he looked. This is my point, he needs a bit of time. Do we have that time? Can we afford a player like that? Well my other point is, we're not really gonna replace him I don't think and our team will lack creativity if Dunn isn't playing.

He's far from the finished article but I think he could do really well for us this year under Bowyer. We probably won't get to see it so it will remain hypothetical but that's my opinion at least.

If we sign a decent creative midfielder or if Judge can play that role effectively enough, then we won't really miss him so I guess we'll just have to see what happens.

• Backroom

I don't disagree with any of pv's comments however I'd still like to see Rochina stay. He offers something different and is a unique player in the overall make-up of our squad. He might be a liability but a flash of his brilliance can lead to a potentially vital goal - our biggest problem last season was that due to a void of creativity we weren't able to create any chances and had to rely on Rhodes to pretty much set himself up to score. If Ruben can become more of a team player he will be a huge asset to the club IMO, and if I was in charge I'd at least give him the next six months to see if he's able to do that.

Me too DE. I'd love to see Rovers give a talent like that a chance. I'm not some old school kick n rush merchant. Its great to see players who can produce magic. Especially whem its in the blue & white. But can we afford a passenger while he maybe learns his trade?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of the happy clapping brigade applauding all the ex youth team recruits. But I just dont see how we can carry Rochina when he doesn't wanna be here and rarely performs even when he does.

Anyway, having declared that bobs post ended the discussion I have gone on to make about five posts. That tells you all you need to know about me. Gobshite!

• Backroom

Me too DE. I'd love to see Rovers give a talent like that a chance. I'm not some old school kick n rush merchant. Its great to see players who can produce magic. Especially whem its in the blue & white. But can we afford a passenger while he maybe learns his trade?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of the happy clapping brigade applauding all the ex youth team recruits. But I just dont see how we can carry Rochina when he doesn't wanna be here and rarely performs even when he does.

Anyway, having declared that bobs post ended the discussion I have gone on to make about five posts. That tells you all you need to know about me. Gobshite!

:lol: the debate ain't over until the thread is locked...

you're right tbf, we can't afford to carry a passenger in the team. My preference would be to have Rochina on the bench and bring him on in the second half at some point to have a go at tiring defenders, which I think he'd be very effective at. Problem is Rochina likely has much higher ambitions than being on our bench and as a result he'd probably become unsettled very very quickly and end up useless anyway. It's a difficult one.

You say Rochina doesn't want to be here, has he actually said that? I may have missed it tbh but the last comments I read from him suggested he still wanted to try and prove himself here - this was back when he was loaned out in Jan though, so something else may have been said/tweeted since then.

Ha ha. Unlucky PV!

Don't get me wrong, I'd ship out plenty of others before RR. However I don't quite get the love in for him, as gumboots eloquently states.

He was no good for us first season as for some strange reason he and Formica didn't play, second season he was a bit player and we were relegated, third season we struggled and avoided relegation late on. He went to Spain and he was a bit part player and the team he played for went down I seem to recall.

For me, if he did leave (and I will reiterate - he does have some talent) my overriding memory will be of a player who would score a cracker every 20+ shots, take a crap free kick and do three step overs before making the wrong pass. But would I keep him? Probably yes, then again with the financial situation we're surely in it might be more prudent to let him go out on loan again at the moment and let him iron out his game at that Spanish club who are interested in him who I've never heard of.

Ironically, could have been our best player in years had he been allowed to play with more freedom with BS in charge and us the tenth best team in the country...perhaps that extra bit of quality to get us to 7th or 6th....like a djorkaeff type role a la notlob.

Best for all if he @#/? off now though.

A player with buckets of potential been developed in the worst environment IMO. What was SK ever going to do for his career? Bowyer got the best out of him in his first spell, players like him can be the difference in this league.

I'll be very disappointed to see him leave, if he does.

CAnt belive he is leaving....personally think our team shuoud have been accomodating for him as in this league you can afford to "carry him"..... Im starting to wonder why frm a month ago when bowyer said he was in his plans it has lead to him being shipped out...not happy at all

I can see what Bowyer is trying to do. The heart and soul has been ripped out of the club so he's getting 11 players on the pitch who will give 110% week in week out. However. I still think there is room for Ruben. Yes he's frustrating as hell, yes he's a show boater, but he is a match winner. Who else have we got that could create a moment out of nothing? I think we're going to be very workmanlike next season, but where the chances are going to come for Rhodes, I have no idea.

Who says it's us shipping him out? He's been homesick for Spain by all accounts since coming here in the first place. presumably, like Olsson, he would be in the manager's plans but the club is not in his. If he's that desperate to go then he needs to go. Not wishing him out, but the sooner it happens, the sooner we can all move on and find someone who wants to play for us. I don't like the way flair players are going from our team but if that's the way it is then we'll just have to get on with things because there's absolutely nowt we can do about it

• Backroom

A lot of people fawning over Rochina unnecessarily imo. The lad has potential ofc but if we're playing a system with wingers and 2 defensive midfielders (or one box-to-box) and 2 strikers, then I see little room for someone like him.

Regardless of that, if you look at Bowyer's statement last month, it looks like Rochina has asked to leave rather than being forced out. Do we really want players who don't want to be here? Been there, done that last season.

• Backroom

Looks like we're to be all labour and no skill.

Great....

It'll basically be like Jan-May last season, except the whole season this time. Bowyer's a good sort though and unlike his predecessors will get the results to keep us hovering around mid-table IMO.

A lot of people fawning over Rochina unnecessarily imo. The lad has potential ofc but if we're playing a system with wingers and 2 defensive midfielders (or one box-to-box) and 2 strikers, then I see little room for someone like him.

Regardless of that, if you look at Bowyer's statement last month, it looks like Rochina has asked to leave rather than being forced out. Do we really want players who don't want to be here? Been there, done that last season.

It doesn't mean people can't be disappointed if he leaves. I'll be disappointed.

Why send him out on loan again though? Shouldn't we just sell him and raise some cash to use this window?

It doesn't mean people can't be disappointed if he leaves. I'll be disappointed.

Why send him out on loan again though? Shouldn't we just sell him and raise some cash to use this window?

The only cash going anywhere in this deal will be to his agent.

Im just disappointed that rochina seemingly has no fight in him at all and would prefer a comfy life at a small insignificant club in spain(where hell likely just spend most of his time on the bench, bar the odd cameo appearance), cant see him amounting to much if he chooses to leave, just shows a serious lack of character.

Archived