BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

No it wasnt..

Watched every ball of the Ashes 2005 actually..plus attending 3 full days Cricket. You cant take those memories away. Great days with friends and families

You'll never see another series like for pure excitement. Some sessions of play were almost unwatchable with the tension.

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

You'll never see another series like for pure excitement. Some sessions of play were almost unwatchable with the tension.

Agreed

Just now, jim mk2 said:

Waste of money in my book. £1,800 is a big chunk from your family finances and would be better spent on education, kids activities such as actually playing sport, and travel, which broadens the mind. Anything's better than lounging around watching TV and lining Rupert Murdoch's pockets.

Thats your life not mine. 

My kids enjoying doing what they. We have day outs aswell just for record

I enjoying watching sport on tv like football, cricket, rugby, F1. etc. 

We have a holiday every year thanks Jim. 

• Like 1

Just now, jim mk2 said:

I feel sorry for them. 

Why? 

Cos I think you are damn right cheeky and bang out of order Jim. You have no idea of our life or the things my kids and me and the missus are into apart from what ive mention

I dont see what right you got telling anybody what to do in their life. 

Edited by chaddyrovers
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

I watched both, had 2 screens on but put audio commentary on the Cricket and I did follow that more closely.

I could sit and watch cricket all day but the passion for footy has decreased.

Over paid and pampered players, too much football on tv, too much playacting/ cheating, too much blatant corruption have all taken their toll.

With Cricket I can enjoy great performances by all players.

It's exciting yet oddly soothing.

Exactly that. And even though there are far more foreign players and Kolpaks then there's ever been. There is still a big local aspect to cricket - Davies from Darwen etc. etc. - that you don't really get with football any more.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

When Channel 4 had the Ashes series on in 2005 the whole nation was drawn in. Nearly every TV screen you saw as you were walking down the street was tuned to the cricket. I've never known anything like it. People who in April had never watched a game of cricket became fanatics in a few months. It was on everybody's lips at work. Radios were secretly tuned under desks.

Cricket has gone from the national summer game to a niche sport in a decade.

The amount of Lancashire folk that can now name a load of English Rugby Union players but wouldn't even know the England cricket captain is a sad indicement of what going behind the paywall has done to cricket.

Why? Because the RFU/IRB were never shortsighted enough to sell the whole game to pay TV. Yes, the Lions and most domestic matches are on Sky/BT, however the 6 Nations is on free to air prime time year in year out - as is the World Cup. Best of both worlds.

Total lack of foresight from the ECB for short term financial gain.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

People can easily watch Cricket on tv if they want. 

All my family have Sky or Virgin and most of my friends do aswell. 

Like I said yesterday, Sky is a must in our. 

I will be watching the cricket today. 

Channel 4 coverage were getting worse slowly with them keep wanting play to start at 10.30 so that They come show Hollyoaks at 6.30. 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

People can easily watch Cricket on tv if they want. 

All my family have Sky or Virgin and most of my friends do aswell. 

Like I said yesterday, Sky is a must in our. 

I will be watching the cricket today. 

Channel 4 coverage were getting worse slowly with them keep wanting play to start at 10.30 so that They come show Hollyoaks at 6.30. 

I have Sky, however the majority of people don't, very simple, if you want to grow the game you need people to see it.

Rugby Union was nowhere in the north of England 20 years ago, now I would wager it has the second highest profile up here. Why? Because 9 million people are watching the 6 Nations. 900 thousand are watching England cricket matches. 

Just now, Mattyblue said:

I have Sky, however the majority of people don't, very simple, if you want to grow the game you need people to see it.

Rugby Union was nowhere in the north of England 20 years ago, now I would wager it has the second highest profile up here. Why? Because 9 million people are watching the 6 Nations. 900 thousand are watching England cricket matches. 

If want to watch cricket they will find a way.

Cricket is a day sport when most ppl are working when Rugby is played on weekend. 

6 nations was good this year granted but I missed of it by being at Rovers games. 

This winter Ashes series will be on bt sport and I dont have BT sport so I have decision to make. But with working nights I wouldnt be able to watch alot of it. I dont know who has the highlights package either..

Most people don't 'want to find a way', they aren't avid sport fans like me and you, that's why they aren't paying £80 a month for Sky. However, if you put a sport on free to air TV, they may watch it - or their kids might and get hooked. Just like Rugby Union is witnessing.

Chaddy, if you don't believe that cricket now has its lowest ever profile in this country then that's up to you, but I and many others would argue differently.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Cricket has gone from the national summer game to a niche sport in a decade.

The amount of Lancashire folk that can now name a load of English Rugby Union players but wouldn't even know the England cricket captain is a sad indicement of what going behind the paywall has done to cricket.

Why? Because the RFU/IRB were never shortsighted enough to sell the whole game to pay TV. Yes, the Lions and most domestic matches are on Sky/BT, however the 6 Nations is on free to air prime time year in year out - as is the World Cup. Best of both worlds.

Total lack of foresight from the ECB for short term financial gain.

I'm one of them. I don't have sky so I haven't got a clue who plays anymore. Used to love coming home to watch the cricket after a day at work when it was on the Beeb.

I look forward to the day Sky collapses

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Most people don't 'want to find a way', they aren't avid sport fans like me and you, that's why they aren't paying £80 a month for Sky. However, if you put a sport on free to air TV, they may watch it - or their kids might and get hooked. Just like Rugby Union is witnessing.

Chaddy, if you don't believe that cricket now has its lowest ever profile in this country then that's up to you, but I and many others would argue differently.

Different times but when I was a kid I grew up watching cricket on the BBC.

If Sky had been around my parents could not have afforded it.

During summer school hols I would watch a full days play in  a Test match and then play it for hours with mates until it got too dark.

That was when I was young, later from about 14 had to work in the hols.

I've not been impressed with the crowds at the ICC ODIs so far, England apart. Lack of interest, too expensive and on tv factors no doubt but if a 15,000 crowd can't be achieved it's a poor do.

At one game at the SWALEC the crowd as embarassingly small.

WC 2019 are talking of filling London Stadium twice, it will have to be an England game or India v Palistan to achieve that.

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 1

I used to be a big cricket fan in the day. I played a bit at works team level.  I still know most of the current England players but as far as the Lancashire  side go I haven't a clue.

However just out of the top of my head -

Barry Wood 

David Loyd

Harry Pilling

Frank Hayes

Clive Lloyd

Jackie Bond

Farokh Engineer

Jack Simmons

David Hughes

Peter Lever

Ken Shuttleworth

Regarding Rugby Union- the 6 nations has been on TV for eons going back to the 5 nations. It never really took off because lots of games were boring kick fests with very few tries scored.

In the professional era they've adopted several Rugby League ideas and concepts, as a result it is a more watchable game than it was in the past.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Different times but when I was a kid I grew up watching cricket on the BBC.

If Sky had been around my parents could not have afforded it.

During summer school hols I would watch a full days play in  a Test match and then play it for hours with mates until it got too dark.

That was when I was young, later from about 14 had to work in the hols.

I've not been impressed with the crowds at the ICC ODIs so far, England apart. Lack of interest, too expensive and on tv factors no doubt but if a 15,000 crowd can't be achieved it's a poor do.

At one game at the SWALEC the crowd as embarassingly small.

WC 2019 are talking of filling London Stadium twice, it will have to be an England game or India v Palistan to achieve that.

People will watch England games. India and Pakistan games will be popular. But some games wont attracted people to watch.

But these games are being played when Children are still at Schools. not ideal for high turnout

9 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

my step son isn't interested in sport full stop, he more interested in drama, computer games, tv series, Comics and Photography.

My step daughter will watch Rovers game with me, but isn't interested in sport. She prefer Dancing, art and Tv shows

On ‎11‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 18:20, jim mk2 said:

I feel sorry for them. 

still no response? WHY NOT?

I'm really interested in knowing how you can judge me and my family when you don't have a clue about a life or what we do apart from what I mention on here.

so what gets you the right to tell me what to do with my money that I work hard for?

On 6/11/2017 at 18:20, jim mk2 said:

I feel sorry for them. 

On 6/11/2017 at 18:30, chaddyrovers said:

Why? 

Cos I think you are damn right cheeky and bang out of order Jim. You have no idea of our life or the things my kids and me and the missus are into apart from what ive mention

I dont see what right you got telling anybody what to do in their life. 

still no response? WHY NOT?

I'm really interested in knowing how you can judge me and my family when you don't have a clue about a life or what we do apart from what I mention on here.

so what gets you the right to tell me what to do with my money that I work hard for?

Any responses to these questions since you insulted me and my family? 

An apologise would be nice from you!!!

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Can anyone tell me about Lancashire season so far and which players have performed this season?

Very grateful in advance

Lancashire's season has been that of fight backs from dreadful starts to the point they find themselves 2nd place. (Wouldn't crack open the champers just yet as after 7 games last season we were top and only avoided relegation curtesy of other results).

Vs Essex drew but found themselves 160/6. Fought back and had Lancs enforced the follow on could/should have won. A big knock from Davies.

Vs Surrey 1st innings 65/5 fought back to draw. Chiv/Clark tons.

Vs Somerset 1st innings 109 all out. Well behind massive 2nd innings Davies/livi tons won the game.

Vs Yarkshite 1st innings 68/4 fought back for a draw. Chiv/mclaren big knocks.

Vs Yarkshite. I went to Day 1 headingley in the am-raining, overcast, on a pitch known to swing in said conditions we had the right to put them into bat but went for the toss "won" stick ourselves in 123 all out. Totally thrashed.

Vs Middlesex at southport skittled them. But 74/4 fight back from mclaren. We won their first defeat in nearly 18 months. Great result to say they stuffed Yorkshire other day. 

Vs Hampshire they put on nearly 400. Lancs found themselves 69/3 so not as bad as normal. Start of day 3 120 ish behind 5 wickets down by the end of the day 200 ahead with them 4 or 5 down. Won. 244 from vilas a record for a Lancs no 6.  

In the RL cup dreadful start losing 3 games. Did quite well after that but the damage was done and failed to make the quarters

In general Hameed woefully out of touch most recently a 0 and 1 for lions which was billed as a fight between him stoneman, Jennings and Gubbins for places in the test side (all others got big scores). Livi/Davies/Clark look to be decent batsmen and saqib Mahmood is highly thought of as a bowler but most consistent performers have been the overseas lads

Next up Warwickshire away in first day/night county championship game presumably practice run for test one. 

The lions play again Thursday and Livingstone and Mahmood called up so both unavailable for next week. Once Jimmy goes to test side was hoping Mahmood would get a run  of games. If not it will be tom "crowd better bring your crash hat" bailey.

I also wish we were playing Warwickshire in normal conditions and not this day/night affair. They're on their knees but a change of environment and loss of players worries me a bit. 

Thanks for that Matt. really apprenticed that alot

Is Ryan McLaren the overseas player for Lancashire?

Any reason why Hammed been so poor this season?

Livingstone a good player? I haven't seen him play and hopefully today I will see him play for England.

Alex Davies is the wicketkeeper is this correct? Jordan Clark is all rounder aswell?