BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Another example of the brain deads thinking they’re invincible on social media, hiding in the shadows, it’s disgusting behaviour and something many of us in here would never have posted in a million years, he should be dropped. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/57335528

The players lined up this morning and the slogan was very clear: cricket is for everyone. On day one of the campaign it is an awful look......

Edited by Gav

• Moderation Lead

Michael Vaughan had a point (for a change). Saying the ECB are at least a bit responsible for this. 
Why, oh why, do people not clean up their social media accounts before they start getting famous? Or, why do people not go through them and then alert the user?

Its turning into some game for Lancashire at Cardiff. 19 wickets falling on the first day and as it stands pretty much even stevens.

Let's wrap up the Glamorgan innings quickly and try and set them something in the region of 275/300.

I suppose Lancs were due to lose one. Unless I’m mistaken the way the system works in terms of the championship title play-off group we don’t yet know who we want to qualify alongside us (assuming we do) but as things stand the Yorkies would be the best outcome for us?

Didn’t realise until other day that the ECB are reverting back to the two division structure next season.

Due to an unforeseen crisis they’ve actually stumbled across a far better set up, so a big mistake to me, but what do I know 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

2 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

I suppose Lancs were due to lose one. Unless I’m mistaken the way the system works in terms of the championship title play-off group we don’t yet know who we want to qualify alongside us (assuming we do) but as things stand the Yorkies would be the best outcome for us?

I'm not quite sure why Yorkshire would be better than anyone else to go through with us to Div 1? Except that it would give us another Roses game later in the Summer.

As I understand it the top 2 from each group go through to Div 1, the next 2 to Div 2 and the bottom 2 to Div 3, but you carry your points over. So scoring as many points as possible is what you want to do and that's why today's loss wasn't great. Every other team has lost at least one game so it's not that surprising. Lancs are still in a strong position.

24 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Didn’t realise until other day that the ECB are reverting back to the two division structure next season.

Due to an unforeseen crisis they’ve actually stumbled across a far better set up, so a big mistake to me, but what do I know 🤷‍♂️

The plan is to revert to the 2 division model but there's lots of chatter including on TMS the other day that staying with what we have this year might be better, so i don't think it's a done deal yet.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

I didn’t know they plan to revert back. This new system seems to be getting the backing of pretty much everyone as far as I know.

I can’t imagine why they would want to revert back. 
Div2 is a league for the also rans.

17 hours ago, only2garners said:

I'm not quite sure why Yorkshire would be better than anyone else to go through with us to Div 1? Except that it would give us another Roses game later in the Summer.

As I understand it the top 2 from each group go through to Div 1, the next 2 to Div 2 and the bottom 2 to Div 3, but you carry your points over. So scoring as many points as possible is what you want to do and that's why today's loss wasn't great. Every other team has lost at least one game so it's not that surprising. Lancs are still in a strong position.

Maybe I’ve misunderstood but I thought the only points the teams carry forward into the play off group are the ones earned against the other qualifying team (who you don’t play again so there wouldn’t be another roses match) not the total from the ten group games?

Edit: I’ve checked now and I was almost right. You carry forward half of the points earned against the other qualifying side, so as things stand it would be in Lancashire’s interests to beat the Yorkies again but them still to qualify alongside us. Or indeed have a good record against the other qualifying team. Basically we don’t want Glamorgan to qualify alongside us. So, disappointing though it was, yesterday’s defeat might not really matter. 

Edited by oldjamfan1

12 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Maybe I’ve misunderstood but I thought the only points the teams carry forward into the play off group are the ones earned against the other qualifying team (who you don’t play again so there wouldn’t be another roses match) not the total from the ten group games?

Edit: I’ve checked now and I was almost right. You carry forward half of the points earned against the other qualifying side, so as things stand it would be in Lancashire’s interests to beat the Yorkies again but them still to qualify alongside us. Or indeed have a good record against the other qualifying team. Basically we don’t want Glamorgan to qualify alongside us. So, disappointing though it was, yesterday’s defeat might not really matter. 

Fair enough. I had only heard that points carried over and I was assuming it was all of them but that makes more sense. I guess maybe then Lancs won't play whoever else qualifies in the next round?

Northants are very much still in the hunt too and they would be good for Lancs as we beat them once and the other game was rained off.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, only2garners said:

Fair enough. I had only heard that points carried over and I was assuming it was all of them but that makes more sense. I guess maybe then Lancs won't play whoever else qualifies in the next round?

Northants are very much still in the hunt too and they would be good for Lancs as we beat them once and the other game was rained off.

Yeah exactly mate so anyone but Glamorgan really. 
As you said, Lancs are still in a really strong position.

England haven't batted in the spirit that the declaration was made. New Zealand wanted to win and risked the draw. England want the draw. That’s not to say England should bat recklessly but surely can muster a run rate of at least above 2.

5 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Yeah exactly mate so anyone but Glamorgan really. 
As you said, Lancs are still in a really strong position.

Sadly Yorkshire just beat Sussex and are now only 4 points behind Lancs with Northants another 12 behind.

One advantage Lancs have is that Yorks and Northants play each other next whilst Lancs have Kent at home. If Lancs win that they should qualify even if they lose to Yorks in the last game at Scarborough.

I would imagine Yorks at Scarborough will be tougher than they they were at OT. They had Malan, Ballance and Wiley in the side this week who didn’t play last week. Mind you none of them are Yorkshiremen.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, matt83 said:

England haven't batted in the spirit that the declaration was made. New Zealand wanted to win and risked the draw. England want the draw. That’s not to say England should bat recklessly but surely can muster a run rate of at least above 2.

In truth these two games are not a big priority for either side. England have rested their IPL players and are using the games to try out a few fringe players. Their priorities are the series against India and then the Ashes. New Zealand are using these games as warm-ups for the world Test Championship game against India later this month.

2 minutes ago, only2garners said:

In truth these two games are not a big priority for either side. England have rested their IPL players and are using the games to try out a few fringe players. Their priorities are the series against India and then the Ashes. New Zealand are using these games as warm-ups for the world Test Championship game against India later this month.

Agreed but there’s still a paying public to consider. Even if we limped along at 3 an over for 60 overs then all we’d need to do is go at a run a ball for 15 overs to win. If got 4-5 down then shut up shop. We shut up shop as we came out.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, matt83 said:

Agreed but there’s still a paying public to consider. Even if we limped along at 3 an over for 60 overs then all we’d need to do is go at a run a ball for 15 overs to win. If got 4-5 down then shut up shop. We shut up shop as we came out.

Exactly Matt

6 minutes ago, matt83 said:

I wasn’t suggesting it was right, just that’s how both teams are looking at the games.

On 02/06/2021 at 22:40, Gav said:

Another example of the brain deads thinking they’re invincible on social media, hiding in the shadows, it’s disgusting behaviour and something many of us in here would never have posted in a million years, he should be dropped. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/57335528

The players lined up this morning and the slogan was very clear: cricket is for everyone. On day one of the campaign it is an awful look......

It is, but I'd love to know which petty bastard waited until the biggest day of Robinson's career to highlight a few tweets he made as a teenager.

They say revenge is a dish best served cold, but good lord. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, matt83 said:

Sorry, what?

The Kiwis set us 270+ where we'd need to score at 3.7 an over to win (something nobody had done on that pitch). That's not a 'sporting' declaration. That's a carrot to tempt stupid teams to try and chase the game. They'd batted us out of the game by that point. 

Instead they couldn't get us out in 70 overs and we move on to next week. That's Test cricket. 

4 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Sorry, what?

The Kiwis set us 270+ where we'd need to score at 3.7 an over to win (something nobody had done on that pitch). That's not a 'sporting' declaration. That's a carrot to tempt stupid teams to try and chase the game. They'd batted us out of the game by that point. 

Instead they couldn't get us out in 70 overs and we move on to next week. That's Test cricket. 

Probably did but would have been nice to see us at least try. In a way I understand why we didn’t we have Root who can bat and 5 others that show glimpses of potential but aren’t good enough and to a man won’t average much over 30. 

Edited by matt83