BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

42 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Sorry, what?

The Kiwis set us 270+ where we'd need to score at 3.7 an over to win (something nobody had done on that pitch). That's not a 'sporting' declaration. That's a carrot to tempt stupid teams to try and chase the game. They'd batted us out of the game by that point. 

Instead they couldn't get us out in 70 overs and we move on to next week. That's Test cricket. 

I bet they wouldn't have declared at that point if Stokes and Buttler had been in the side.

It was a joy to get back to Old Trafford today for the first Blast game. I suspect that the crowd was about the same as they would have got in more normal times given it was a Wednesday afternoon, although obviously well spread out.

Finn Allen's cameo 29 from 13 balls was also impressive - he was really annoyed to have got out. If he can continue in that vein he will get a lot of runs in the Blast.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Anderson become England's most capped player ever. What a great bowler he has been

The extra finger gives him a slight advantage but yeah, he's been brilliant. England win the toss and bat - I'd have been tempted to have a bowl and get Jimmy swinging it.

• Like 2

Good piece by Scyld Berry in the Telegraph, saying the most successful Test teams (especially away from home) generally have older batsmen and young bowlers. England have the exact opposite at present. 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2021/06/05/england-batting-line-up-exposed-naivety-youth/

Have to say I've never seen so many England batsmen with dodgy techniques. Sibley, Crawley and Lawrence all have serious flaws and in Sibley's case I don't understand how he became a professional cricketer never mind a Test player. 

Rory Burns is quite unorthodox too. He moves a lot on the crease and gets tucked up because of it. But whilst he is getting runs it doesn’t matter. 

Lawrence has had a good few knocks too. I quite like the look of him. This team is desperately missing Stokes and Butler because that middle order is terrifyingly bad.

I have tickets for England v India at Headingley and im hoping for a bit better than what we are being served up here .....

• Like 2

Another great night out last night watching Lancashire win again.

Apart from Finn Allen's excellent knock the batting performance wasn't great, with a good few players getting in and out quickly, but 172 seemed a par total at the interval.

But Lancashire do what they do best, controlling and squeezing a chasing team and Leicestershire were never quite in it at any time and definitely once the 3 spinners got going. Hartley was the pick of them this time although Parkinson picked up aother couple of wickets.

• Like 1

I can't understand the logic of not picking a front line spinner on a pitch that is offering turn already and what I understand even less is going with an all seam attack and deciding to bat first. It seems like very muddled thinking from England which is what we've seen all year when it comes to selection. Silverwood was out of his depth solely as a coach he is even further out of it now as the main selector.

3 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

England are missing Ben Stokes from our line up and gives us a balance team. 

Surprised Sam Curran isnt selected currently meaning we could play Leach as main spinner. 

We still lack an England type quality spinner like Shane Warne. 

Curran isn't selected because he went to the IPL. As for lacking a quality spinner like Shane Warne so is every single country in test match cricket. You are talking about one of the games greatest ever players. Also we don't promote spin bowling in this country if a side prepares turning wickets the ECB sanction them and then they wonder why we don't produce spinners and consistently struggle in the sub continent. 

England's batting is poor and has been for years. So many players have been given a chance and few have looked Test quality. Silverwood doesn't inspire confidence and frankly I don't think he's up to he job; we're a million miles from looking capable of competing in the next Ashes series.

• Like 2

I wonder if Jimmy will retire from test cricket this summer. Will soon go past kumble as the 3rd highest test wicket taker, already most capped England player the last game of the summer is at OT so could bow out at the ground with an end named after you. He’s still our best bowler by a mile for my money but Australia will be a long old slog for him particularly if still have to do this quarantine stuff. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Another poor session from England

We would have lost the 1st Test but for the rain and this one is going to be difficult to save

Innings defeat looming?

It was tongue on cheek but as it stands we need 24 runs to avoid an innings defeat with 5 wickets standing

It;s embarrassing. Silverwood isn't the man for the job IMO