BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Respective averages:

England - Burns 33, sibley 31, Crawley 31, root 49, Lawrence 29, Pope 32, even the absentees Buttler 34, stokes 37, Bairstow 34.

New Zealand - Williamson 53, Conway 111, Taylor 45, Nicholls 43, blundell 38, Mitchell 75.

Clearly NZ have some early doors ones which will come down but it’s truly pathetic England can’t produce more than one test quality batsman capable of averaging over 40 or even near 40. 

• Like 1

Still a bit annoyed about today.

All the wickets were pathetic. Pope’s on the face of it looked a decent delivery but he has form for standing across his stumps and getting out lbw. Batting on his off stump means he’s a walking wicket.

Even this morning Root’s reaction to dropping a simple catch at first slip was telling. He had a laugh with the bowler at the end of the over. I was disgusted at that. I wouldn't care if he was captain - I'd give him both barrels. It's symptomatic of the culture in the dressing room having a laugh and not wanting it enough. Go and play village cricket if you want that sort of atmosphere.

Nasser’s rant at the end was spot on. Broad has a test match 150 but he doesn’t try. Either club it or nothing.

At the moment it is embarrassing. Silverwood will be gone after the ashes I’m sure but already it’s shaping up to be a debacle.

• Like 3

Guys, you can keep blaming Sliverwood or the coaching staff but these players are the best players in the country and some of the best averages in the county game this season. You got Graham Thorpe as Batting coach there who is one of English best test batsman in the last 25 years. 

Pope and Burns both average 61 in this season in the county championship, Lawrence 55 this season, Bracey 47.90 this season, 

Is Bracey the best batsman wicketkeeper in the county game after Buttler and Foakes? 

Why are Buttler, Woakes and Curran not playing in this second test? Curran is playing for Surrey in the 20twenty competition.  

But Its comes down to the quality of the county game and the pitches we play the 4 day game on as Simon Doull said after the days play. They don't allow Batsman to play on good quality wickets and build a inning. 

To the people who want Sliverwood out as head coach is who do you replace him with? I would suggest Alex Stewart, former England player and Surrey director of cricket but didn't he withdraw from the head coach process when the ECB was replacing Bayliss for unknown reasons? 

Averages in county cricket are meaningless. Flawed techniques get found out at Test level and I've never seen an England team containing batsmen with so many obvious weaknesses. I've said it before but I don't understand how Sibley made it as a pro - a decent club bowler would soon work him out. Prresumably he's been at Warwickshire since he was a young boy so why have the coaches there not taught him to play in the classic, orthodox manner?

As for a replacement for Silverwood, I'd always go for a foreign coach. They understand the game better. 

12 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Guys, you can keep blaming Sliverwood or the coaching staff but these players are the best players in the country and some of the best averages in the county game this season. You got Graham Thorpe as Batting coach there who is one of English best test batsman in the last 25 years. 

Pope and Burns both average 61 in this season in the county championship, Lawrence 55 this season, Bracey 47.90 this season, 

Is Bracey the best batsman wicketkeeper in the county game after Buttler and Foakes? 

Why are Buttler, Woakes and Curran not playing in this second test? Curran is playing for Surrey in the 20twenty competition.  

But Its comes down to the quality of the county game and the pitches we play the 4 day game on as Simon Doull said after the days play. They don't allow Batsman to play on good quality wickets and build a inning. 

To the people who want Sliverwood out as head coach is who do you replace him with? I would suggest Alex Stewart, former England player and Surrey director of cricket but didn't he withdraw from the head coach process when the ECB was replacing Bayliss for unknown reasons? 

That Doull did make a good point about the pitches. There the blame lies mostly with the ECB rendering the county championship a spring and autumn sport in favour of prime months going to the McCricket. Plus some counties like Somerset actively produce pitches to break up on day 2/3 but little sanctions from the governing body. So it is probably too simplistic to lie the blame solely with Silverwood.

With buttler, Curran, bairstow I believe they were initially rested for IPL stuff now being allowed to play t20. Another demonstration of how the ECB have their priorities totally backwards. God forbid what will become of red ball cricket if this 16.4 nonsense takes off as unlikely as I think that is.  

I’d also put bracey behind Foakes, Buttler, Bairstow and billings so he won’t be around much longer I’m sure.

Then as for replacing Silverwood with whom the buck stops like any football manager. I wouldn’t touch Stewart with a barge pole he’s a company man (would make Southgate look a renegade) who would turn England into Surrey on tour. He gave his reasons at the time as family and not wanting to tour which may be nonsense as would have known that’s the deal at the outset. So for me the usual name Kirsten (who they should have appointed over Silverwood initially), stead from this lot.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Thrope isn't batting coach anymore. Trescothick is the batting coach but I don't know what he's doing for this game as he was down Taunton watching Somerset on Friday evening.

He hasn't even been a regular keeper until this season. There are a lot of better keepers in county cricket than him.

The reason given is because they played in the IPL but so did Boult and he has also been back to New Zealand, quarantined back there and travelled from NZ to the UK and he is playing this game. The simple fact is England don't put any value on test cricket they are only interested in White Ball Cricket.

If you are playing first class cricket mainly in April, May & September then you aren't going to get good quality wickets.  At the peak of the summer when the weather is dry and the wickets are at their best it is practically all White Ball Cricket in this country because that is all the ECB are interested in. They have no interest in First Class Cricket which is why it is cast to the fringes of the season. And now we have the ECB bringing in  another format of the game that doesn't even resemble cricket.

12 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Prresumably he's been at Warwickshire since he was a young boy so why have the coaches there not taught him to play in the classic, orthodox manner?

Sibley came through the system at Surrey

2 hours ago, matt83 said:

Plus some counties like Somerset actively produce pitches to break up on day 2/3 but little sanctions from the governing body. 

What's wrong with preparing pitches that turn? This is the problem in this country if a pitch turns early then we hear plenty of moaning  about it (whereas not a word if it seams) and then when we go to the Sub Continent and look like Rabbit's in the headlights (like in India this winter) people seem surprised.

Edited by Ewood Ace

That Doull did make a good point about the pitches. There the blame lies mostly with the ECB rendering the county championship a spring and autumn sport in favour of prime months going to the McCricket. Plus some counties like Somerset actively produce pitches to break up on day 2/3 but little sanctions from the governing body.

The county championship needs to be played during the week with 2 twenty20 games between Friday to Sunday at the weekend. I don't see why this cannot be done. 

What is wrong with pitches on day 3 breaking up and allowing Spinners to come to the fore. This is another problem with the ECB and allowing players to face conditions they will face in other countries

With buttler, Curran, bairstow I believe they were initially rested for IPL stuff now being allowed to play t20. Another demonstration of how the ECB have their priorities totally backwards.

Bairstow wouldn't be in my starting 11 at all. He had enough chances and not performed enough now. 

Buttler and Curran should have be in this second test squad at least. 

I would be looking at bringing Hameed in for Sibley and Stokes in Crawley allowing Pope or Lawrence to bat at 3 then. Buttler replacing Bracey and bringing in a spinner like Leach for Stone. 

The test format need to be the number 1 priority now but with 2 different captains and the squad being very different do see why we can't have dual priorities over the past years. 

God forbid what will become of red ball cricket if this 16.4 nonsense takes off as unlikely as I think that is.  

No interested in the hundred one bit and the ECB is wrong for bringing this format of the game. 

Then as for replacing Silverwood with whom the buck stops like any football manager. I wouldn’t touch Stewart with a barge pole he’s a company man (would make Southgate look a renegade) who would turn England into Surrey on tour. He gave his reasons at the time as family and not wanting to tour which may be nonsense as would have known that’s the deal at the outset. So for me the usual name Kirsten (who they should have appointed over Silverwood initially), stead from this lot.

I wouldn't replacing Sliverwood at this stage as we are rebuilding the batting line up and at some point replacing Anderson and Board in the near future. Judge is 15 months for me. if a change is needed then thats the time to do it. But don't forget we aren't an awful team but according to the rankings we are fourth best team. 

Kirsten wouldn't committed to tours full time and wanted time off which ECB and Giles didn't want. I wouldn't be in favour of that at all. 

For me, its Alec Stewart or Paul Farbrace as Sliverwood replace. But with Thorpe, Collingwood, Trescothick, Lewis and Foster all on the coaching staff aswell We have experience former cricketers on the staff. Its about the current players readjusting their game and bat time and plays to the strengths. No need to rush as you have 5 days to win the game. 

Wasn't in favour of Giles replacing Strauss or in scraping the national selector role which has happened now. What does Giles do daily now? 

1 hour ago, Ewood Ace said:

Thrope isn't batting coach anymore. Trescothick is the batting coach but I don't know what he's doing for this game as he was down Taunton watching Somerset on Friday evening.

Thorpe is assistant head coach with Collingwood under Sliverwood. Probably scouting for Sliverwood now that he is head of selection aswell for the 20twenty team. 

• 2 weeks later...

On 13/06/2021 at 11:11, oldjamfan1 said:

England’s cricketers will definitely be home in time to watch England’s footballers now!

They could end this in time to watch the footballers again, but this time for a good reason! Quite the collapse from Sri Lanka

13 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

The ECB's complete disdain for County Cricket once again on show today for all to see today.

Taking players out of county teams that are currently mid game? 

Loud and clear, county games are not important are they.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

The ECB's complete disdain for County Cricket once again on show today for all to see today.

I miss the days of Truman and Statham playing front of a 30,000 Old Trafford crowd. County cricket has gone the way of the FA cup. A real shame.

Whilst it was very frustrating to see Lancashire deprived of the services of Matt Parkinson for the last day of the game against Kent on a turning wicket and the game ending in a draw, they have qualified for the top group in the second stage today anyway. And whilst Lancs are now behind Yorkshire in the table by 2 points, when they move into the next stage they will take half the points in the Roses matches with them. After winning the first they are 22-1 ahead. Even losing the second Roses game should see them start slightly ahead unless they get really thumped.

• Like 1

We looked at the T20 squad last night deprived of Livingstone, Parkinson and Mahmood, who had all been excellent in previous games, and worried, but the team absolutely thumped Northants to move Lancs up the table to 4th. The victory was even more emphatic than the scoreline might suggest. Nice to see James Anderson there watching too

• Like 1