BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

excellent win by England. 

Livingstone's six was crucial for England. 

Still don't think Malan gets into my starting 11 as he isn't good enough against Spin for me. 

My starting 11 for the 20twenty competition would be

Roy, Buttler, Bairstow, Stokes, Morgan, Livingstone, Ali, Sam Curran, Jordan, Archer, Rashid

then Malan, Parkinson, Willey, Mahmood as squad players

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

excellent win by England. 

Livingstone's six was crucial for England. 

Still don't think Malan gets into my starting 11 as he isn't good enough against Spin for me. 

My starting 11 for the 20twenty competition would be

Roy, Buttler, Bairstow, Stokes, Morgan, Livingstone, Ali, Sam Curran, Jordan, Archer, Rashid

then Malan, Parkinson, Willey, Mahmood as squad players

Yeah lets leave out the #1 ranked ICC T20 batsman.Chaddys weird logic strikes again.

In last nights game I was not unhappy to see the back of Malan, 31 from 33, who struggles with good spin.

I did though think Liam would hit a second 6.

Good to see a useful knock by Morgan including a great 6.

Now on to 'The Hundred' to see what all the fuss is about

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

In last nights game I was not unhappy to see the back of Malan, 31 from 33, who struggles with good spin.

I did though think Liam would hit a second 6.

Good to see a useful knock by Morgan including a great 6.

Now on to 'The Hundred' to see what all the fuss is about

It was tortuous watching Malan, I thought he was going to cost us the game. Alternatively, as Broad said, with him sticking around he prevented the lower order from being exposed sooner than they were.…and yes, I was sure Livi was going to knock that second six. That would have been some finish.

T20 has really taken off though. Some of the techniques these guys have developed are extraordinary, but that pitch wasn’t conducive to this format of cricket.

Edited by den

On 19/07/2021 at 16:50, matt83 said:

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/alex-davies-to-trade-lancashire-for-warwickshire-at-season-s-end-1270250

“Warwickshire are a massive club with a proud tradition of winning," Davies said. "The Bears squad have potential to win trophies and I want to contribute to future success.” Ouch. He’s not wrong though. Over the past couple of decades lancs have been unsuccessful and unambitious to match.

Whichever way look at it I reckon this is one of the biggest kicks in the teeth had for a while. Those quotes must hit hard and so they should. 

It's an odd move for him, but he's not a worldie so we'll recover. 

As I understand it he's had an injury on his left hand, which is why Vilas has kept for most of the season. It can't just be that Warwickshire have offered him the gloves. 

As for Lancs being one of the richest counties in the game - absolutely. We've also invested the money wisely. It's great to see Lancastrians in the team from our fantastic academy, rather than a bunch of mercenaries. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Exiled_Rover said:

It's an odd move for him, but he's not a worldie so we'll recover. 

I hope the move goes better for Al Davies than it did for the last local sports star that decided he'd be better off joining Birmingham rather than remaining with his home club.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oldjamfan1 said:

I hope the move goes better for Al Davies than it did for the last local sports star that decided he'd be better off joining Birmingham rather than remaining with his home club.

Genuinely took me the best part of a minute to work out who you were talking about. I'm blaming the weather!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, den said:

It was tortuous watching Malan, I thought he was going to cost us the game. Alternatively, as Broad said, with him sticking around he prevented the lower order from being exposed sooner than they were.…and yes, I was sure Livi was going to knock that second six. That would have been some finish.

T20 has really taken off though. Some of the techniques these guys have developed are extraordinary, but that pitch wasn’t conducive to this format of cricket.

I think England would have won the game early cos Ali, Morgan and Livingstone won't have had gone for it from ball 1. 

Malan is great against Pace but his game isn't good enough against Quality spin or spinning wickets. Thats why I would play him cos in the 20twenty world cup those wickets will spin. 

England players's techniques have got better cos they are playing in 20twenty competitions around the world whether its the IPL or PSL or the big bash. 

4 hours ago, den said:

, but that pitch wasn’t conducive to this format of cricket.

I disagree Den. I think it's good to see pitches that are a good balance between bat and ball, rather than some of the pitches you see these days which are flat tracks combined with short boundaries. It then becomes just a matter of how many sixes each side can get away. Rizwan and Roy seemed to manage to get runs last night OK.

Lancashire do seem to have depth in their squad right now. Despite 8 players off at The Hundred (9 if you count Finn Allen)  they could still field a team with 8 regular starters for the friendly warm-up 50 over game with Cumberland yesterday

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Fantastic piece on those short sighted fools at the ECB…

https://www.thefulltoss.com/england-cricket-blog/love-minus-a-hundred/

Indeed, a thought provoking look at what is happening within cricket at the moment. I watched The Hundred last night, mainly to see what all the fuss was about. I am an avid fan of the T20 format, especially the IPL and Big Bash competitions and I thought this latest “innovation” would grab my attention in the same way.

Sadly, I just see it as just a watered down version of T20 with too many gimmicky changes for the sake of it  - 5 bowl overs, two overs bowled from the same end etc. I am also a passionate Lancastrian, but I find it difficult to support a team called Manchester Originals, even if they are based at the home of Lancashire cricket. The ECB assume that throwing a shed load of money at this pantomime, more young people will become interested in cricket. Bollocks. I was involved in Junior Cricket long before these shorter versions came along. All the clubs in the area had very healthy groups of Under 11,13,15 and 18 players. But on top of that there were many youngsters, boys AND girls who turned up on a Friday evening just to have a knock about and a game of Kwik cricket. They didn’t need disco music or fireworks to entice them there, they came because they liked it, whatever their capabilities.

So, instead of ploughing millions of pounds into a pointless competition which only benefits players bank accounts, channel that money into the local clubs around the country so they can provide better facilities for the local youngsters, the professional cricketers of the future.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Riversider28 said:

I am also a passionate Lancastrian, but I find it difficult to support a team called Manchester Originals, even if they are based at the home of Lancashire cricket.

This 100% I am a proud Lancastrian and  want Lancs to win every game they play.A team called Manchester does nothing for me.

• Like 3

I will give The Hundred a chance and will watch most games. The format is a money grab by the ECB that may succeed ... or may not, certainly the broadcasters are trying their best to convince me that grounds are full to the brim.

IF the format is to secure a new audience well, going off last night's men's game, it will introduce them to very poor batting and bowlers trying to bowl as wide as possible, sometimes in a hilarious fashion. The kids meanwhile will get to see grown-ups getting drunk in daylight.

It's baseball where you run up and down and not around. Pop music, bands and fireworks do not a cricket match make. I was expecting circus animals and clowns but may have missed them.

Meanwhile, via YouTube I'm enjoying Lancs v Sussex at the lovely Sedbergh ground on a fantastic English summers day. That is more to my taste.

• Like 1

I watched last nights hundred game on tv. Not sure what to make of it to be honest. On the one hand you have some quality players on show, on the other hand it looks just like a watered down, kids version of t20 cricket. 

5 ball spells of bowling, ten ball spells of bowling. Who’s coming through the tunnel to bat next?  Umpires waving huge white cards around.  What’s all that about and what does it bring to the game?

Obviously it’s an English version of the IPL, but will it work - is there room for this to sit next to the t20 comps - or is it meant to replace it?

2 hours ago, den said:

I watched last nights hundred game on tv. Not sure what to make of it to be honest. On the one hand you have some quality players on show, on the other hand it looks just like a watered down, kids version of t20 cricket. 

5 ball spells of bowling, ten ball spells of bowling. Who’s coming through the tunnel to bat next?  Umpires waving huge white cards around.  What’s all that about and what does it bring to the game?

Obviously it’s an English version of the IPL, but will it work - is there room for this to sit next to the t20 comps - or is it meant to replace it?

The Hundred is definitely not an English version of the IPL. The IPL is a full on T20 competition, with an array of International and local cricketing talent that runs with the same rules as other T20 franchises around the world.

I watched the men’s match last night also, and though there was more action than the women’s game previously, it still is a poor alternative to T20. Unfortunately, the ECB thinks this is the way forward in encouraging future generations of youngsters to pick up a cricket bat. As I said in my previous post...Bollocks.

• Like 2

Cracking game at Sedbergh, Lancs after a great recovery get home with an over to spare. Excellent cricket commentary! ..... radio people.

Now on to the men's TH after giving the ladies a miss.

Nice way to spend a Friday.

Edited by AllRoverAsia

I’d definitely given that up. 42 off the last 3 (1 over left). 👏 👏👏. Shame lancs see it fit to have us playing home games in modern Cumbria historical Yorkshire but as nice as sedburgh is with Paul Allott no longer in control I imagine it’ll be the last there. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, lsp82 said:

Great win for Lancs! Dead and buried at 115 for 7 won by 2 wickets. 

Absolutely. Brilliant knock of 86 by Lamb with support from Bailey(45). Lancs have good strength in depth which is necessary when players are called up for International duties. Let’s hope we can collect some silverware this season.

I’m reserving the right to hate The Hundred.

I love cricket in any form, at any level, but Johnny Baitstow playing for a Welsh side at Headingley is nonsense, Livingston the same and many more, just doesn’t sit right for me. 

• Like 2

On 24/07/2021 at 19:43, Gav said:

I’m reserving the right to hate The Hundred.

I love cricket in any form, at any level, but Johnny Baitstow playing for a Welsh side at Headingley is nonsense, Livingston the same and many more, just doesn’t sit right for me. 

It was funny when Nassar says " the northern fans are all coming out now.." and it cut to about five 7 year olds dancing...

I didn’t even want to be included in the viewing figures let alone attend the 16.4 but I stumbled onto the cricket channel yesterday. The quality of cricket, the graphics, bloody awful.

On the graphics, I don’t understand why they don’t have the score on half the time, but cycle between that and runs needed, with wickets on the other side of the screen. I struggled to work out the state of the game when I initially turned it on and it’s not exactly new to me! Simply cricket 😂😂😂

In hosting this the ECB have tried to totally destroy the 50 overs competition. But more gallingly they’ve given it prime cricket months resulting in the final county championship game being played in October. Could literally play this crap, t20 included, in December. Clear the snow away and crack on.

The ecb have had some money to throw about. They’ll never compete financially with the IPL so given this a go. With the money wasted if they’d just given it to counties in the blast to attract better calibre of player we would have at a minimum surpassed the big bash.

Ultimately what’s the 16.4s usp 20 less deliveries. 🤷‍♂️. Tradition and history matters to me for teams I support so the Manchester mercenaries playing it’s a big no from me. 

• Like 2