BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

They kept claiming full house the other night. Mentioned every other breath. Turns out there was 18,000 at the oval, so that’s 1/3 empty. Albeit 18,000 more than I’d hope for. Goebbels would be proud of the propaganda aimed at this 100. I think lancs have sent me double the amount of automatic emails promoting the hundred than anything else. 

• Like 2

On 25/07/2021 at 09:37, matt83 said:

D6638B8C-1303-4856-BEB8-A60699A1EC75.thumb.png.101ba18ae5147cd317bcb12d560213b4.png
😡

I can’t believe what I am reading. The Captain of Lancashire deserting his duties to sign up to the sheep worrying Tyke outfit. Loyalty, my arse. This type of mercenary behaviour is the thin edge of the wedge for the longer versions of cricket as we know it. The management of Lancashire  C.C. should be hauled over the coals for allowing this situation to happen. It’s also a kick in the teeth to the loyal Lancs supporters too. Not only that, what sort of message does this send out to youngsters, who the E.C.B. purport to be wanting to engage in the sport? They will think that this type of money grabbing behaviour is part of the game. I’ve previously had my say about The Hundred, and this latest episode is another example of what is wrong in cricket, and sport in general in this day and age. 😡

• Like 5

On 25/07/2021 at 10:16, Riversider28 said:

I can’t believe what I am reading. The Captain of Lancashire deserting his duties to sign up to the sheep worrying Tyke outfit. Loyalty, my arse. This type of mercenary behaviour is the thin edge of the wedge for the longer versions of cricket as we know it. The management of Lancashire  C.C. should be hauled over the coals for allowing this situation to happen. It’s also a kick in the teeth to the loyal Lancs supporters too. Not only that, what sort of message does this send out to youngsters, who the E.C.B. purport to be wanting to engage in the sport? They will think that this type of money grabbing behaviour is part of the game. I’ve previously had my say about The Hundred, and this latest episode is another example of what is wrong in cricket, and sport in general in this day and age. 😡

I’d love it if just one Lancashire player or any high profile player had said I’m not pimping myself out to this nonsense and I’d rather play proper cricket for a proper county instead. Even if it was a player unlikely to be ‘drafted’ anyway. I view the 16.4 not so much as another format of cricket but something in direct competition with real cricket.

George Dobell hits the nail on the head:

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/want-the-truth-about-the-hundred-it-s-smoke-mirrors-and-gimmickry-1270805?platform=amp&__twitter_impression=true&platform=amp&__twitter_impression=true

• Like 1

On 25/07/2021 at 10:29, matt83 said:

I’d love it if just one Lancashire player or any high profile player had said I’m not pimping myself out to this nonsense and I’d rather play proper cricket for a proper county instead. Even if it was a player unlikely to be ‘drafted’ anyway. I view the 16.4 not so much as another format of cricket but something in direct competition with real cricket.

George Dobell hits the nail on the head:

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/want-the-truth-about-the-hundred-it-s-smoke-mirrors-and-gimmickry-1270805?platform=amp&__twitter_impression=true&platform=amp&__twitter_impression=true

Excellent report. That is exactly how I see it. 

Interestingly, I caught a bit of last night's match when my husband left it on, and I was very surprised to hear the commentator using the word overs.  There isn't another word for it but an over is 6 balls, not 5. They were explaining that if you score more runs than the other team, you win. Never!!!!!! 🤪

• Like 1

On 24/07/2021 at 19:43, Gav said:

I’m reserving the right to hate The Hundred.

I love cricket in any form, at any level, but Johnny Baitstow playing for a Welsh side at Headingley is nonsense, Livingston the same and many more, just doesn’t sit right for me. 

It's a marketer's wet dream - just look at the team mottos: “Spark the Welsh Fire. Burning bright with intense passion and relentless energy, their hunger will prove the haters wrong. Get ready to feel the heat.” 🤮

The ECB have evidently greased a lot of palms as the coverage is suffocating and overwhelmingly positive in the way that can only happen when it's bought and paid for. 

To compensate each County for having devastated the Royal London Cup (it's essentially a Second XI competition now - in a format that we're World Champions in) and the T20 Blast, they've been bought off with £1.3m. That's incredibly short sighted - albeit after two COVID hit years I'm sure their coffers are running low. 

The ECB hate that they didn't patent T20 and also hate that Counties bank most of the money from the T20 Blast. This is their attempt to rectify that mistake - but the horse has bolted. All it does is hamstring the Counties and devalue the product. In the 5 best weeks of the summer there's a great number of cricket fans that can't watch live First XI cricket. 

I haven't watched a second of it, nor will I. 

• Like 4

On 25/07/2021 at 15:06, Exiled_Rover said:

I haven't watched a second of it, nor will I. 

I’ve just turned it off, Flintoff on commentary, he’s bloody awful, it’s like a lads locker room…..

• Like 1

Watching the intro to the lancs game. Total oversell. It’s being forced fed as to how good it’s going to be, how great the players are, are wonderful the fireworks will be, what a fantastic crowd and what a great game it’s going to be.

It demeans Flintoff and Keys. It’s like listening to a couple of used car salesmen selling an old banger to an uninterested teenager.

• Like 3

On 26/07/2021 at 21:48, oldjamfan1 said:

They should delay the Ashes for at least a year mate. 

Under the current circumstances that would be the most sensible decision. The way that the Australian government quickly closes down not just towns or cities, but entire States really puts the  whole Ashes tour under threat even if the players families are allowed in. If both countries can rearrange their 2022 schedules then that would be the way to go. I’m just as gutted as anyone about this as I had arranged to visit my son and family in Oz, taking in the Adelaide and Melbourne Tests. But, more importantly, I won’t be able to give my 6 year old identical twin granddaughters lots of hugs and kisses. 😩

Edited by Riversider28
  • Like 1

On 26/07/2021 at 21:48, oldjamfan1 said:

They should delay the Ashes for at least a year mate. 

I'm certainly not against doing that on Covid grounds ojf, but the article refences being away from home and not having the family on tour with them, that doesn't seem like a reason to cancel a tour for me, this is professional sport after all, these are the sacrifices you make, harsh though that is.

We have players from across the globe playing in The Hundred currently, the IPL resumes in September, the cynic in me says is more than just Covid and being away from home £$£$£$.

Riversider, It isn't the Federal government that have closed down anything, other than people coming from abroad*. The States have been closing their own borders, and they've been doing it at the drop of hat, when covid cases increase.

*The Federal government have been facilitating the rich and famous, sporting teams and movie stars to come here with allowances to isolate in their hotels or holiday homes. Everyone else has to go into mandated places for isolation.

And that is what's pissing a lot of people here.There are some 300000 aussies worldwide that have been trying to come home since the start of the pandemic, and the federal government has paid lip-service to their plight.

Our Prime Minister (AKA Scottie from Marketing) casually ignores these people.

The other thing here is a little matter of delta stopping crowds at games. Our State Premiers are bricking themselves should an outbreak occur, look at NSW at the moment.

There'll certainly be no UK supporters allowed into the country,though local  UK supporters will watch on TV if they can't get into the grounds.

If it goes ahead, I'll be at the front of the queue at Morrisons office (he's my local MP) giving it to him large, for not helping those stuck overseas.

• Like 1

On 27/07/2021 at 08:03, Gav said:

I'm certainly not against doing that on Covid grounds ojf, but the article refences being away from home and not having the family on tour with them, that doesn't seem like a reason to cancel a tour for me, this is professional sport after all, these are the sacrifices you make, harsh though that is.

We have players from across the globe playing in The Hundred currently, the IPL resumes in September, the cynic in me says is more than just Covid and being away from home £$£$£$.

Yeah I meant on covid grounds mate - crikey when you think how long the players were away from their families in the old days this lot don't know they are born.

• Like 2

Just flicked on to the cricket channel lovely to see the ground about 4/5ths empty. Do they not know that “every ball counts” and “it’s cricket as you’ve never seen it.” 🤣🤣🤣 

Another thing that annoys me about this 16.4 is that every other format is compromised by the ecb scheduling internationals during every single county competition (not least of all the quarter finals of the t20). Lancs/Yorkshire, for eg, never ever play any game in any format with a full strength side. With this shite no clash whatsoever. So there’s no real cricket or international cricket during the prime weeks of summer. 

Edited by matt83

1 hour ago, Exiled_Rover said:

I reckon we had a chance of winning the Royal London Cup with a full team this year.

Sadly t'Hundred has put paid to that. We can't chase down any reasonable score with the batsmen we have left. 

To be fair most other teams are equally affected. Jennings’ foot injury probably did for us today as much as anything. That and our failure to finish Middlesex’s innings off when we had them 7 down.

Still it was an entertaining game on a lovely day with a decent crowd.

It’s a good job there are some Preston lads in the team. Bailey and Hurt took 5 of the wickets and Danny Lamb took two wonderful catches and a run out and nearly finished off the run chase.

I hope it swings all over the shop in this series bit of payback for the conditions in India.

I see there’s no spinner. That’s definitely been done because have zero confidence in the batsmen. Not that we have a test quality spinner anyway. 

Also a hat tip to the ecb who’s McCricket obsession means going into a test series with no red ball cricket in over a month. Most back when played in Chennai.