BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

I would agree with this in most sports. But not cricket. The best captains anticipate and the rest simply react. Jimmy Anderson was setting his own field this morning, simply to make sure he didn't concede too many boundaries and that should never happen when you insert the opposition, Cook needed to be stronger. Coaches don't decide bowling changes as the game progresses or fielding changes on gut feelings. Only captains can do that.

To a certain degree, but you have lunch, tea, drinks breaks, players leaving the field left right and centre these days for an over or two and coming back on. Plenty opportunities for coaches to get info out to the middle.

Not trying to say its not a job that needs doing well, its just not as important a roll in modern day cricket as it used to be in my opinion

He was setting his own field for the 10 overs, Cook should have brought a man in catching but never did, maybe he didn't want to undermine a senior player....

I'm banging my head against a wall, why didn't Cook stand up to him.

It was Cook's call to put Australia in, a somewhat strange decision, he should've backed himself and told Anderson what field he'd be bowling to.

I'm banging my head against a wall, why didn't Cook stand up to him.

It was Cook's call to put Australia in, a somewhat strange decision, he should've backed himself and told Anderson what field he'd be bowling to.

Yes agreed about the field Bryan, but I think I'd have batted in those conditions though, taylor made for swing. Broad also sets his own field more often than not, senior player and all that.

Why would you drop Warner he's the top runs scorer in the series, Rogers and Watson have both had good series. Bailey I agree needs dropping I'd bring Joe Burns from Queensland in to replace him at 6, either that or put Watson to 6 and play Hughes particularly for the SA series a country where Hughes has fond memories.

Steven Smith looks to me like a future Australian captain, two very mature centuries when under pressure from the 24 year old.

Australia's average first 5 wicket partnership this series = 28.36, England = 29.80.

Just don't believe we can afford to have a hit and miss opener like Warner.

Really enjoying watching this Stokes lad play. Good luck to him.

Australia's average first 5 wicket partnership this series = 28.36, England = 29.80.

Just don't believe we can afford to have a hit and miss opener like Warner.

Really enjoying watching this Stokes lad play. Good luck to him.

Who would you bring in to replace the top 3 and Bailey then ? Maddison at NSW seems the only other alternative to open but I don't think that he is currently a better player than Warner or Rogers. Rogers and Warner are the 1st and 4th highest run scorers in the series respectively, Rogers also scored a match winning century in the last test. As for Watson he is a vital part of this team in the all-rounder role. Your winning games and appear to have a good team spirit neither of which could be said before the series. So no need for changes Bailey aside, you changed your team every game over here and got well beaten and same would apply to England in regards to both of those in this series.

Wicket for Lyon who's bowling beautifully at the moment, looks absolutely full of confidence. The decision to drop him for Agar in England really was an absurd one.

Edited by somersetrover

Discard Bailey as hes not up to it.

Bring back Hughes and bat him at 3.

Move Watson down to 6.

I like Hughes I've always thought he was a good player but he has never been given a consistent run in the team they seem to drop him if he has two or three low scores in a row, the last two Ashes over here have been a prime example of that where he has started the series and been dropped by the third test. If they do bring Hughes back they need to stick with him for at least 10 games and I think he would flourish.

Lyon getting some lovely turn and bounce now.

Edited by somersetrover

I disagree, broad has done ok

and it's not just the management, it's their represetative on the pitch. he's not a leader of men. let's have someone in who's actually got a pair and has a good cricketing brain

and it's not just the management, it's their represetative on the pitch. he's not a leader of men. let's have someone in who's actually got a pair and has a good cricketing brain

Guest Norbert

Well it has been the batting that has really let us down. It makes you wonder what they do in the nets. The other issues is the lack of ability to finish off the tail, which has been an increasing issue over the last few years.

As I have said, many senior players need to be moved on or rested, and the management needs to consider whether they have the talent to continue. No-one should be allowed to think they are immune from the axe.

There needs to be a thorough search for a new leader, and for young players who can grow into a team in time for the next Ashes, as that is the only test series that matters nowadays.