BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

It's weird in this day and age how entire teams still have (at least partly) psychological problems stretching back years. Most of the time we come up against a spinner it's as if he immediately morphs into a Shane Warne or similar.

I bet even Ali looks like MurAli in the England nets :blush:

Edited by Husky

All a bit last minute, but I've finally secured my ticket and accommodation for Finals Day. :tu:

I'm also planning to go down Brum on Friday to save the hassle of a stupid a.m. start on Saturday. For anyone that knows Birmingham; Any recommendations for a decent sports pub/bar to watch Rovers v Bolton on Friday? :brfcsmilie: And not a cricket pub, as they'll be showing the Women's Ashes T20 won't they :closedeyes:

Edited by Husky

I agree with Jim that Ballance will return to the squad for UAE with Pakistan.

My squad for that trip would be:-

Batsmen:-

Cook, Hales, Bell, Root, Ballance, Bairstow(back up wk), J.Taylor

All rounders:-

Stokes, Ali

Wicketkeeper:-

Buttler

Fast Bowlers:-

Board, Anderson, Wood, Finn, Plunkett

Spinners:-

Rashid, Riley

My favourite Brum pub is The old joint stock on Temple Row, up the hill from New Street, won't have footy on though.

But you'll not struggle for great places to eat and drink, with footy on everywhere.

Its interesting listening to Boycott on TMS, he's always talking about batting for time, which he did very well during his career, some would say to well it became a bore.

But these days we don't really see players occupying the crease, its about making shots, Butler being a prime example of someone who simply cannot leave the ball alone.

Is it 20:20 influenced?

Of course it is. 20/20 is an abomination and is ruining the sport. It's all about money.
  • Like 1

I would agree about bringing back Ballance and put him in at 5 where he seems to be more comfortable.

We struggled against the spin of Lyon which does not bode well for having to face Pakistan's spin duo of Ajmal and leg spinner Yasir Shah on spinner friendly surfaces.

Arent England/Bayliss bringing in Mahela Jayawardene in for test series to help our batsmen with spin?

Theres a lot of pubs on broad street, the Brasshouse is nice and central for other places if they aren't showing the game, theres a couple of wetherspoons nearby too.

Are Wetherspoons allowed to show footy these days? I was always under the impression that they didn't have a licence for any entertainment other than fighting.

All a bit last minute, but I've finally secured my ticket and accommodation for Finals Day. :tu:

I'm also planning to go down Brum on Friday to save the hassle of a stupid a.m. start on Saturday. For anyone that knows Birmingham; Any recommendations for a decent sports pub/bar to watch Rovers v Bolton on Friday? :brfcsmilie: And not a cricket pub, as they'll be showing the Women's Ashes T20 won't they :closedeyes:

You could try the White Swan, Harborne Road, Birmingham, B15 3TT.

Gladstone Small used to drink there when he played for England.

Of course it is. 20/20 is an abomination and is ruining the sport. It's all about money.

Its all about money, thats why the Ashes are being played more frequently.

However, in my opinion 20:20 is replacing the ODI format.

Attendances at 20:20 are 20 odd percent up this year, and I'd imagine a similar if not higher decline in 40 overs cricket attendance over the past few seasons. If the ECB really had the future of the game at heart, they'd get one of the formats on terrestrial tv. Sky do good coverage, but theres masses who don't have access.

• Moderation Lead

Spoils test cricket when they try stupid paddle shots

I can't remember who it was that brought the point up about batsmen not building an innings as well as they used to and it being because of the shorter formats of the game, I'd say they were on point!

I've just done the reverse. Just come home from Birmingham for the game tonight then back on an early train in the morning for the cricket.

I think Saturday will be my 6th finals day watching Lancs I've lost track. All ended badly. So I live in hope our fortunes will change.

I must have been to 5 then, as I've only missed one (when we've made it).

It must be our year. As you said it's always ended badly - usually hungover in the cold (apart from summer 2004) :glare:

Jarvis has broken his hand so won't play. I presume Livingstone has recovered from being glassed as he's also in the squad.