BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Training Pics from Portugal/training in Portugal

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

Someone won't be happy with his McClaren-like nicknames for the players.

Its fair enough that we are cautious though, the stench of Kean still lingers around the place and anything that sounds slightly Keanesque will be a worry until things are proven otherwise

Have to say Am'o, hearing use those nicknames makes me worry a bit.

I guess the fact that we are getting rid of anyone with an ego (with the quality/experience to back it up) may make it less of a problem but I want to hear the manager talk like a manager and leave the Smashy and Nicey stuff to the coaches. They need to have that distance because they are the ones who need to be ruthless when it comes to picking the team, dropping people and selling players.

Kidd, McClaren, Sbragia are all coaches again now. For a reason.

We are still lacking experience/pedigree at all levels (including the boardroom) but because Bowyer is likeable he is getting the benefit of the doubt - "Get behind him, FFS" could well be the September mantra. However, we are still pretty much in the Kean position only without the green haze and overbearing stink.

Which is fair. I'm trying to keep an open mind.

Overall I'm happy with Bowyer being in charge but want to see some positives, not just hear them.

We live in hope.

Good point Stuart, in that we want to see the positives, not hear them.

Bowyer:-

We'll do the same as what we did last week, where they'll all get 45 minutes, but they'll be going into the game tired because they will have had a hard week.

Read more at http://www.rovers.co.uk/news/article/working-well-breeds-feel-good-factor-909788.aspx#RlPAoj25ohrMYpcD.99

So, after a weeks hard training. doing 2 & 3 sessions a day, the players are going into the first couple of pre-season games tired. Therefore, the matches are not as 'intense'. It's obvious really.

So when the lads are tired we should expect less? They'll be tired during the season so they should be demanding they dig in and still try and maintain a high intensity as they'll have to do it in season. Build good habits change habits and set the tone.

So when the lads are tired we should expect less? They'll be tired during the season so they should be demanding they dig in and still try and maintain a high intensity as they'll have to do it in season. Build good habits change habits and set the tone.

Are you for real? Doing pre-season is nothing like the training during the season. For a start they don't do 2-3 sessions a week in the baking heat once the season gets under way. Pre-season is vastly different to training during the season and you should know that if you're as qualified as you say you are. As for the tired bit, of course they'll get tired during the season but a lot of it will be managed differently as they play Tuesday/Saturday, therefore less training.

If you think there's something wrong at Rovers just because you think there wasn't enough intensity at Wrexham in a meaningless pre-season workout then you should put your real name on here and call the Rovers fitness guys out on it, on here, in public. Otherwise you just look like you're having cowardly digs at people in the same profession for no reason.

I'll ignore the last bit, it sounds like some meaningless management-speak, the kind Kean probably stuck up in the changing rooms.

As a qualified person in this area you must also be aware that tiredness can contribute to injuries? Matches at this stage are about getting used to the ball again and the training in between should contribute to progressively better fitness by the time the season kicks off, no?

Surely playing during the season and being tired from that is different too from when you start training again after a break. Yes, i know they have fitness schedules and need to keep up basic good habits, but we all know that when we stop doing an activity even for a week or so we find it much more tiring when we take it up again. Fitness would seem to be hard won but easily lost. I accept that Maj is an expert in his field, but sometimes he does come across as overly critical of those who are working for Rovers. A fitness guy, even one less qualified than Maj, has to be a step in the right direction when we see how far our fitness levels fell over the last few seasons.

Are you for real? Doing pre-season is nothing like the training during the season. For a start they don't do 2-3 sessions a week in the baking heat once the season gets under way. Pre-season is vastly different to training during the season and you should know that if you're as qualified as you say you are. As for the tired bit, of course they'll get tired during the season but a lot of it will be managed differently as they play Tuesday/Saturday, therefore less training.

If you think there's something wrong at Rovers just because you think there wasn't enough intensity at Wrexham in a meaningless pre-season workout then you should put your real name on here and call the Rovers fitness guys out on it, on here, in public. Otherwise you just look like you're having cowardly digs at people in the same profession for no reason.

I'll ignore the last bit, it sounds like some meaningless management-speak, the kind Kean probably stuck up in the changing rooms.

If the suns out in season it will be hot and most teams don't have the joy of indoor pitches and so hot or not two sessions will occur. Read me. http://www.mensfitness.com/training/endurance/the-heat-wave-workout-how-to-train-in-hot-weather. Take advantage of the weather when you can.

Recovery isn't just about less training or a lower intensity, nutrition, timing, supplements, environment all contribute to it as fatigue isn't just limited to a physiological construct. When all aspects are considered and adhered to by the players (they must buy into it), then fitness can be developed and maintained when match frequency allows. Humans are habitual creatures and not each individual shares the same beliefs, motivations, life experiences etc etc, however certain traits are required for sporting success. Hard-work, determination, team player are some that have been shown to be very strongly linked to success in sport. This will do: http://www.ittf.com/ittf_science/SSCenter/docs/01-05%20Lopez.pdf. Not all team members will possess these psychological attributes and so knowing how to motivate (IE keep working hard in the sessions) someone when in situations of adversity IE hard training will allow for these to be improved. Not all footballers train hard, not all footballers eat properly, poor recovery habits and so on, but all need them. The best way to off set fatigue, promote a stronger recovery, is to get fitter. We are endurance animals and physiological haven't really evolved much in the lastgod knows how long. As such we are capable of developing much further than football, in the grand scale of things footballers are not that fit. Look at rugby league, they are athletes, do you see teams like that in football? No. And before you respond no I don't mean make athletes footballers in mean the reverse. Look at Ronaldo he is an athlete and his athletisum is a strong factor in his game, so imagine if your whole team could enhance these aspects? Each of us can achieve our physical potential with a holistic approach as described, just look at Andy Murray. Crack on: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/andymurray/10172446/Andy-Murrays-success-proves-that-the-scientific-approach-will-only-work-if-the-talent-is-good-enough.html

That type of approach IE psychological, physiological, and nutritional has reaps him rewards and you can have the same in football.

No they won't undergo the same trainings in season IE % double sessions in a week but matches should be incorporated into the loading for the periodisation. The best way to cope with a more demanding load is to get fitter, not rest. Coping with the demands of football across the season can best be served by improving the overall approach to their physical training and development. The physical fitness & psychological attributes required for elite sporting success are well documented and when all are enhanced then performance improves from all aspects as do results.

As a qualified person in this area you must also be aware that tiredness can contribute to injuries? Matches at this stage are about getting used to the ball again and the training in between should contribute to progressively better fitness by the time the season kicks off, no?

Please read above. The best way to off set all of those factors is to make them more tolerant of them or get fitter.

If the suns out in season it will be hot and most teams don't have the joy of indoor pitches and so hot or not two sessions will occur. Read me. http://www.mensfitness.com/training/endurance/the-heat-wave-workout-how-to-train-in-hot-weather. Take advantage of the weather when you can.

Recovery isn't just about less training or a lower intensity, nutrition, timing, supplements, environment all contribute to it as fatigue isn't just limited to a physiological construct. When all aspects are considered and adhered to by the players (they must buy into it), then fitness can be developed and maintained when match frequency allows. Humans are habitual creatures and not each individual shares the same beliefs, motivations, life experiences etc etc, however certain traits are required for sporting success. Hard-work, determination, team player are some that have been shown to be very strongly linked to success in sport. This will do: http://www.ittf.com/ittf_science/SSCenter/docs/01-05%20Lopez.pdf. Not all team members will possess these psychological attributes and so knowing how to motivate (IE keep working hard in the sessions) someone when in situations of adversity IE hard training will allow for these to be improved. Not all footballers train hard, not all footballers eat properly, poor recovery habits and so on, but all need them. The best way to off set fatigue, promote a stronger recovery, is to get fitter. We are endurance animals and physiological haven't really evolved much in the lastgod knows how long. As such we are capable of developing much further than football, in the grand scale of things footballers are not that fit. Look at rugby league, they are athletes, do you see teams like that in football? No. And before you respond no I don't mean make athletes footballers in mean the reverse. Look at Ronaldo he is an athlete and his athletisum is a strong factor in his game, so imagine if your whole team could enhance these aspects? Each of us can achieve our physical potential with a holistic approach as described, just look at Andy Murray. Crack on: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/andymurray/10172446/Andy-Murrays-success-proves-that-the-scientific-approach-will-only-work-if-the-talent-is-good-enough.html

That type of approach IE psychological, physiological, and nutritional has reaps him rewards and you can have the same in football.

No they won't undergo the same trainings in season IE % double sessions in a week but matches should be incorporated into the loading for the periodisation. The best way to cope with a more demanding load is to get fitter, not rest. Coping with the demands of football across the season can best be served by improving the overall approach to their physical training and development. The physical fitness & psychological attributes required for elite sporting success are well documented and when all are enhanced then performance improves from all aspects as do results.

Please read above. The best way to off set all of those factors is to make them more tolerant of them or get fitter.

That's not what you said originally though is it. You bemoaned the lack of 'intensity' in the match against Wrexham and criticised the fitness coaches. Bowyer pointed out that there was never going to be any 'intensity' (in so many words) as they'd just begun pre-season training and had been training like dogs all week. No point playing a high intensity match a week into training, as you now seem to agree. Like you say, injuries will probably occur.

He's not going to say that on here and potentially jeopardise his career is he?

but he's happy to criticise fellow professionals in the same field? Complete double standards, and a bit cowardly.

• Backroom

Possibly I over egged the pudding there and jeapordising his job may be a bit dramatic but I enjoy having some insight into it from someone who genuinely knows his stuff

If he revealed who he works for and his name his employers may not be too happy with his continued posting if word got out

That's not what you said originally though is it. You bemoaned the lack of 'intensity' in the match against Wrexham and criticised the fitness coaches. Bowyer pointed out that there was never going to be any 'intensity' (in so many words) as they'd just begun pre-season training and had been training like dogs all week. No point playing a high intensity match a week into training, as you now seem to agree. Like you say, injuries will probably occur.

but he's happy to criticise fellow professionals in the same field? Complete double standards, and a bit cowardly.

It was a two line post and you actually think that will explain my whole approach? How insight full. At no stage in this conversation have I said I wouldn't play a HIT match 8 days in? Neither have I said I would, have I? All I have said is that if it was a 'fitness' exercise as described then why didn't it display the required characteristics off one?

It would have been better as a 45 min HIT session. If it's a training session then 45 mins volume is hardly high in the grand scale of things for a whole days periodisation, even on day 8 if they have maintained fitness over the off-season. So low volume. What other aspects can we consider? Intensity, hence my comment as it was labeled a fitness exercise. But there wasn't any, the press was slow, no encouragement, it almost lacked desire, low intensity as well. Why put players in a competitive situation against a team that will want to beat them and not use it as a real fitness exercise IE enhancement. The fact it's competitively opposed will force the intensity up and who knows how the football situation could also influence matters. As such it makes sense to take advantage of the situation and make it HIT. A true representation of a football match isn't easy in a Small Sided training Game. So since there is one in the calendar take advantage of it. But we used it as a recovery/low intensity session?

So if there was no point in the HIT session the game was really a waste of time and if you want me to be really pendantic then it would have increased the risk of injury due to it's competitive nature again scientific fact, google it.

At no stage have I said anything detrimental about Chris Neville or anyone else. I have criticised the science, the method taken, whilst being more than happy to offer an alternative approach. Every scientists work gets criticised all the time. You make one discovery only to find out more people confirm the negative, they then critique your work. But oh lord let us not critique a method used at football club. Double standards on my part indeed. I wonder if people come on here and critique players without revealing their name saying they should have done this and that. Are they in the wrong as well? Cause if it's wrong for me to critique not taking advantage of a situation from a training perspective then surely the double standards on your part for criticising everyone on this board? I believe that's the very essence of the concept?

At no stage have I made any personal comment about any of them, I'd ask you to show me the post??? Any information I have posted could have been found through google by anyone with half a brain.

When I'm as big as Raymond Verhijen I'll quite happily reveal my name but at the same time I believe even Raymond was anonymous for a time. However all they need to do is PM me isn't it I'll respond.

Archived