BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Crewe Alexandra - 16th July

I thought it was 30 seconds added per substitution?

Same as at Wrexham, we had about 20 substitutions and two minutes added.

Oh and I'm not optimistic about this season anymore

Why, what changed?

I'm always optimistic before a new season starts but it's having seen two friendlies and the obvious lack of quality in the squad.

It depends on your expectations Aggy. After the past few years I'll settle for a season of mid-table football and I think we will achieve that without any problems. Last night the game ended with the Rovers fielding virtually their Under-21 team. It's very early days for Gary and it's going to take time - certainly more than a season - to rebuild what has been destroyed over the past few years. I just hope the owners are prepared to give Gary a season or two to build a squad capable of a promotion challenge.

Aggy: please take into consideration that we fielded a strong team against Fleetwood in a behind closed doors as well.

If possible I would like a short sunmary on how the different players did against Crewe.

From another forum

Kean - excellent keeper & looks a real confident figure now which the defence will love. Made a couple of terrific stops until replaced by Urwin.
Kane - no wonder Chelsea won't let him go. Got forward very well indeed.
Markus - only lasted 30 mins. Got forward well too & put in a couple of dangerous balls but very suspect defensively
Hanley - solid, dependable & great headed goal from a Rochina corner.
Dann - cool, calm & collected. Thought he played really well.
Lowe - works hard but still not convinced & feel we'll struggle if he's the best we can muster in the centre of the park.
Marrow - even more defensive than Lowe (if that's possible). A couple of decent long balls over the top but not sure what extra he adds.
Taylor - I really do like this lad. Great engine, works hard, gets involved. Looked excellent in the middle of the park & might just be the solution. Him & Williamson in there (or Spearing!!), yes please.
Judge - threatening to do something special but not there yet. Playing it a little too safe but can see some potential.
Rochina - for all his critics, still a class player. Greedy? Yes, but thought his decision making was much better tonight despite one wayward pass to Jordan when in a threatening position. Good effort first half saved by keeper.
Rhodes - worked hard as usual but quiet overall. Is making the runs though. One great chance in the 2nd half, lobbed the keeper but drifted agonisingly wide.
Subs:
O'Connell - came on in first half to replace Olsson at full back. Looks a real prospect & even better when moved to centre half later on.
Fabio Nunes - I was concerned at Wrexham but totally changed my view tonight. Looked a real threat & more performances like that will see him in the starting XI come Derby. Some terrific balls into the box that a fully fit & on fire Rhodes will bury for fun. Provided the funniest moment of the night when managing to find the railway track from a wayward shot. High, wide & not very handsome.
Rest - all did ok with Payne &, surprisingly, Jorge being the stand outs for me.

I would agree with much of that. Nunes was always looking to use his tricks and pace to beat his full back and always looked to get in a cross.

Taylor really grew into the game, whilst Judge showed he has the work rate to contribute even if his attacking play wasn't 100% spot on. Todd Kane looked excellent at right back, always wanted to overlap and got in 1 or 2 good crosses.

Robbie cotton would struggle to get in the u21s side at the minute. Steve kean made him out to be something he's not. Few positives from last night tho, although we're still short of 3 or 4 players in my opinion.

Archived