BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rochdale away - 20th July

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Best and Rhodes cant play together.

As good as he is Rhodes is difficult to find a suitable partner for because of his style, even though he isn't your classic target man he does tend to play better up top on his own with someone in the withdrawn role.

No Songo'o? Wonder if we ended his trial

Songo'o travelled to the game on the team coach. Spoke to him as they arrived.

I'm guessing, therefore, we're still interested in him.

Well I decided to temporarily end my self imposed post Venkies/Kean exile for this one. Given the fact I can walk it to Spotland in 20 minutes I thought I ought to. I came away totally depressed. On that showing there's not one player in the Rovers team I'd pay money to see. It's going to be another long hard season this time. Whatever you need to play football we didn't have today. Enthusiasm, pace, aggression, cohesion, team shape, a pattern of play. Every ingredient was missing. The number of missing placed passes was embarrassing. Our centre midfield hadn't one ounce of creativity, both were constantly forced to turn little pirouettes whilst looking to place a pass.

None of the little combined units that make up team play worked. The full back with centre halves, centre halves with central midfield, fullbacks with wide players, wide players with strikers. None of these groups functioned.

The score flattered us really, Rochdale were busier, neater in possesion, firmer in the tackle. And won most of the contested headers and 50/50 balls.

Scores

Kean, 6 , not a lot to do apart from pick the ball out of the back of the net twice.

Kane, 5 , this lad is supposed to be a player,I didn't think that today. A bit on the small side for me

Dann, 5, didn't dominate as a centre half should.

Hanley, 5, same as Dann, these two don't look like a partnership to me.

Morris, 3 , really poor, not big enough and not hard enough to play fullback in this league. Subbed at half time.

Judge, 6, not bad, he looked lively in parts. Unlucky with a free kick that hit the angle. The new Johnny Price.

Morrow, 5, just a big lad chasing shadows in centre mid. Not a creative bone in his body.

Lowe, 5, just a little lad chasing shadows in centre mid. Not a creative bone in his body.

Taylor ? The ginger winger ? 6, looked like he might be a player with better support.

Best, 4 , we might has well pay him off now. This guy can't play. I've seen some bad number nines at Rovers but he must be one of the worst. His first touch is usually a pass. Him and Rhodes up front won't work.

Rhodes , 4, totally anonymous. He may as well come and sat with me in the stand.

One or two of the subs looked livelier but after that first half anything would be an improvement.

Bottom line - we badly need creativity in centre midfield or we're facing a worst season than the last one. For most of the match we were truly awful today.

just got back. marrow is a big aggressive lad. i would start with him in place of lowe who is showing no development. kilgallon slightly out of place at left back but ok. his replacement (black lad, not sure of his name) looked lively! nunes looked confident and ruben esque ( i mean like rochina not a fat, painted 16th century bird!). orr was his usual poor self in his short cameo. i liked the industry of taylor who strongly resembles kevin stonehouse for those with a good memory).

all in all, an enjoyable game, great looking new away kit and it was good to be back watching the rovers!

Well I decided to temporarily end my self imposed post Venkies/Kean exile for this one. Given the fact I can walk it to Spotland in 20 minutes I thought I ought to. I came away totally depressed. On that showing there's not one player in the Rovers team I'd pay money to see. It's going to be another long hard season this time. Whatever you need to play football we didn't have today. Enthusiasm, pace, aggression, cohesion, team shape, a pattern of play. Every ingredient was missing. The number of missing placed passes was embarrassing. Our centre midfield hadn't one ounce of creativity, both were constantly forced to turn little pirouettes whilst looking to place a pass.

None of the little combined units that make up team play worked. The full back with centre halves, centre halves with central midfield, fullbacks with wide players, wide players with strikers. None of these groups functioned.

The score flattered us really, Rochdale were busier, neater in possesion, firmer in the tackle. And won most of the contested headers and 50/50 balls.

Scores

Kean, 6 , not a lot to do apart from pick the ball out of the back of the net twice.

Kane, 5 , this lad is supposed to be a player,I didn't think that today. A bit on the small side for me

Dann, 5, didn't dominate as a centre half should.

Hanley, 5, same as Dann, these two don't look like a partnership to me.

Morris, 3 , really poor, not big enough and not hard enough to play fullback in this league. Subbed at half time.

Judge, 6, not bad, he looked lively in parts. Unlucky with a free kick that hit the angle. The new Johnny Price.

Morrow, 5, just a big lad chasing shadows in centre mid. Not a creative bone in his body.

Lowe, 5, just a little lad chasing shadows in centre mid. Not a creative bone in his body.

Taylor ? The ginger winger ? 6, looked like he might be a player with better support.

Best, 4 , we might has well pay him off now. This guy can't play. I've seen some bad number nines at Rovers but he must be one of the worst. His first touch is usually a pass. Him and Rhodes up front won't work.

Rhodes , 4, totally anonymous. He may as well come and sat with me in the stand.

One or two of the subs looked livelier but after that first half anything would be an improvement.

Bottom line - we badly need creativity in centre midfield or we're facing a worst season than the last one. For most of the match we were truly awful today.

Did you try the chippy near the away end ?

Any good ?

Can anyone who went to the game summarise who played well and not so well.

Heard that Marrow and Judge looked good.

Kean - couple of decent saves again, can't be faulted for the goals.

Kane - looked a little out of sorts, like all the defence. As usual though, gets forward well.

Dann - almost scored but looked shaky at the back

Hanley - doesn't look fully fit to me. Probably the best of the back line but not terrific.

Morris - defensively poor. I'm more at ease when he's going forward.

Lowe - oh no, Jason Lowe. Added nothing but did lose a ball out of the ground.

Marrow - not sure he's the answer but definitely grew into the game. Above Lowe in the pecking order based on today.

Taylor - didn't get the breaks but worked really hard again, great energy. Would prefer to see him in central midfield rather than wide.

Judge - frustrates the hell out of me. Has talent but looks too tentative. When he goes forward, he looks ok. Hit post with a great free kick.

Best - maybe by name, but that's all. Doesn't look good enough. When he got the ball, it was head down & run before losing it. Like watching a sh1t Rochina.

Rhodes - working hard as usual but not getting the chances. Should have scored with a header but quiet overall.

Subs:

Eastwood - not much to do but did flap at a cross.

Orr - errr, no thanks.

O'Connell - little to do but solid again.

Kilgallon - solid if unspectacular. Will do a job, for sure.

R.Hanley - played well when he came on. Not sure he's ready but we really are light of options at left back.

Pedersen - don't let the goal mask his overall performance. Great free kick but poor from open play.

Rosado - time to move on Diogo. Another sh1t Rochina impersonator.

Nunes - lively, again. Is making a real push for a starting spot.

Formica - forgot about him, unsuprisingly. Didn't do much.

DJ - always a threat, scored almost instantly. Lightweight but sure he has plenty of goals in him.

King - played well when he came on but is lacking that end product.

Yes it is and I bet Lowe and Marrow will be much more creative when the season starts. No need for new faces there.

Where you there today ? They both passed the ball back more than they passed it forward. Anyway that's my view of the game. We'll see what the story is at the end of the season. Any Burnley fans there would be rubbing their hands. Somebody else mentioned the black left back that came on later. He looked a good little player , quick into the tackle and confident on the ball.

The goals, one was a goalmouth scramble and the other was a Peds free kick. Rochdale's goalie made a balls of the wall and Peds just chipped it into an unguarded bit of the net.

The ' dales two both came from the left side of our back four still being out to lunch. Their right winger just gathered the ball in acres of room and beat Kean from about 15 yards both times.

Archived