BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Derby County vs Blackburn Rovers Sunday 04/08 4pm kick off (Live on Sky)

We need a creative midfielder, not somebody who's only creativity from open play is chipping the ball over players heads straight to the keeper.

Actually in fairness Pedersen does create quite a few attacks, it's just most are for the opposition.

I suspect due to contractual and financial reasons, a legacy of the previous regime, Pederson won't play another game for Rovers first team.

Unless there is a change, I think he can be discounted from any future starting lineup.

• Replies 728
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd like to see a team like this:-

--------------------Keane

-----Kane---Hanley---Dann----Henley

Judge----Pedersen----Lowe----Taylor

--------------Rhodes----Best

If we are honest with ourselves and ask if the squad looks much worse than it was this time last season, you have to say it does. It really really does. Then we were optimistic due to the liikes of Murphy, Ettuhu, Rhodes coming in. Admittedly many of the signings turned out to be poor but there was a feeling we could make a dent in the league last summer.

This time round we are really hoping for much less established players to make the grade. Recognise that this does sometimes work out in the Championship (look at Southampton a couple of seasons back for example), and Judge particularly has impressed in the pre-season, however when all is said and done I would say reasons for optimism in the coming season have decreased not increased over the summer. Sad really.

If we are honest with ourselves and ask if the squad looks much worse than it was this time last season, you have to say it does. It really really does. Then we were optimistic due to the liikes of Murphy, Ettuhu, Rhodes coming in. Admittedly many of the signings turned out to be poor but there was a feeling we could make a dent in the league last summer.

This time round we are really hoping for much less established players to make the grade. Recognise that this does sometimes work out in the Championship (look at Southampton a couple of seasons back for example), and Judge particularly has impressed in the pre-season, however when all is said and done I would say reasons for optimism in the coming season have decreased not increased over the summer. Sad really.

Which is odd, considering that we haven't sold/released any players who made a significant contribution to last season.

Sandomierski, Jones & Goodwillie aside, we could field the same team that started against Birmingham on the final day of last season. Jones probably being the only one of the 3 that would retain their place for the Derby game.

Big fault. No Rochina!

Think Derby usually start campaigns well but fade away mid season, but I'm hoping we get something here. Would take a draw but ideally 3 points to settle GB in. Head says 1 - 1, heart wants 2-0 Rovers with Rhodes and Campbell getting off the mark.

Think Derby usually start campaigns well but fade away mid season, but I'm hoping we get something here. Would take a draw but ideally 3 points to settle GB in. Head says 1 - 1, heart wants 2-0 Rovers with Rhodes and Campbell getting off the mark.

Will struggle with your heart prediction, Campbell out for 2 months?

No idea what will happen, haven't really seen any pre-season.

I'll go with 1-0 to us, optimistic I know.

After the Everton game cant for the life of me think why anyone would pick Lowe or Taylor in their team. Both offer nothing at all for the team. But if you want to play with nine men, then fine, go ahead, just dont complain about the result when you hear it.

I'd swap Best for Rochina to give us more creativity. Derby aren't that physical a team so think we could get away with that as a team. Think that's a hard working midfield with 3 of the 4 able to contribute to the attack. Other than the 1 change that'd be my pick of a team. Like you say though, it still looks a bit weak.

However I think Bowyer will go with both Marrow and Lowe. If this were the case I'd go for a 4-2-3-1 with the 2 as Lowe and Marrow and the 3 as Judge, Taylor and Rochina. In this formation the 3 would really have to focus on attacking duties, as Lowe and Marrow offer little creativity, but that as a team would have the advantage of letting Judge and Rochina do what they do best, and hopefully give us a lot of protection for the back 4.

Realistically we should get at least a point from this. Derby are a bang average championship side. A draw should not be beyond us. A team with promotion aspirations would see this as a chance of getting 3 points, but I'm not sure we're there yet. Also we've had a decent record against Derby last year, and they haven't massively strengthened which gives me cause for optimism.

A positive performance (and ideally result!) is vital. Fan confidence and support is fragile at the moment. A bad or indifferent start could be the breaking point for many fans, and could be the start of a negative atmosphere in the team and in the stands, which could shape our season.

After the Everton game cant for the life of me think why anyone would pick Lowe or Taylor in their team. Both offer nothing at all for the team. But if you want to play with nine men, then fine, go ahead, just dont complain about the result when you hear it.

Or then again people may realise that it was a friendly against a team which narrowly missed out on a Champions League spot last season, and that writing off a player before he's kicked a ball in a competitive game for us is laughable.

Lowe should never be picked, unless it's a league cup game or something. Taylor we need to give a chance fella as he was Millwall best player last season according to their fans.

0-0

• Moderation Lead

Or then again people may realise that it was a friendly against a team which narrowly missed out on a Champions League spot last season, and that writing off a player before he's kicked a ball in a competitive game for us is laughable.

You have seen jal's posts before haven't you?

I agree though- dismissing Taylor before playing a full competitive 90 minutes for us is ridiculous!

The criticism of Lowe though, that is justified!

You have seen jal's posts before haven't you?

I agree though- dismissing Taylor before playing a full competitive 90 minutes for us is ridiculous!

The criticism of Lowe though, that is justified!

I did get some stick for criticising Lowe in the beginning, though for me he needs to try and carve out a career at full back and forget midfield for now.

I did get some stick for criticising Lowe in the beginning, though for me he needs to try and carve out a career at full back and forget midfield for now.

I still think it's a little early to be totally writing off Lowe. The way that we played last year would make it pretty difficult for any defensive minded midfielder to prove his worth, I even think someone like Savage would've struggled to make an impact given the dross that was around him. It was his first full season in that position and still put the vastly experienced Murphy and Etuhu to shame imo (although that isn't really saying much)

If we're still having this conversation in a years time then fine, but it wouldn't surprise me if Lowe proves a few wrong this season.

• Backroom

I still think it's a little early to be totally writing off Lowe. The way that we played last year would make it pretty difficult for any defensive minded midfielder to prove his worth, I even think someone like Savage would've struggled to make an impact given the dross that was around him. It was his first full season in that position and still put the vastly experienced Murphy and Etuhu to shame imo (although that isn't really saying much)

If we're still having this conversation in a years time then fine, but it wouldn't surprise me if Lowe proves a few wrong this season.

Etuhu when he played was far more effective than Lowe IMO, I'd bet we had a better record when he was in the team as well, he got stick because he tended to make some obvious errors with his passing but wasn't nearly as bad as made out for me

Etuhu when he played was far more effective than Lowe IMO, I'd bet we had a better record when he was in the team as well, he got stick because he tended to make some obvious errors with his passing but wasn't nearly as bad as made out for me

I remember Etuhu starting off quite well, tailed off pretty drastically after the first 4 or 5 matches for me.

After those first few weeks he seemed to have all the negatives of Lowe without the benefits of his workrate or mobility. Although I suppose having just said that Lowe suffered from playing in a bad team, the same has to apply to Etuhu.

I think this will be a close game of not so many chances and quite a scrap. I could easily be wrong though and it end 4-4 :) But i think 1-0 either way but just think derby will grab it with being at home - Probably through Jonny Russell who I think is a decent player...

I would start with:

Kean

Kane Dann Hanley Spurr (If signed)

Judge Lowe Pederson Taylor

Rochina

Rhodes

*Bring Best and Nunes or King on when/if required

If the manager rates him that highly then why doesnt he make Lowe the captain.

I'll go for a hard fought 2-2 draw. Still think the same people will make the same mistakes in defence and we'll concede early and late. In between Rhodes and Hanley will score for us.

2-2 (Rhodes,Hanley)

21,071 (989 Rovers)

Archived