BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Derby County vs Blackburn Rovers Sunday 04/08 4pm kick off (Live on Sky)

• Replies 728
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was going to reply to this post fully yesterday but didn't get chance. It goes without saying that the art of full blooded tackling is a dying dying art these days. The likes of Tommy Smith and Chopper Harris used to cheerfully admit they'd boot their opponent for the day into row 3 or 4 to let them know they were there and in a game. Even skillful players but X rated tacklers like Souness and Jimmy Case would struggle to make it to half rime these days.

Even now though I still feel a top midfielder needs to possess the ability and timing to stick in a toe or foot without necessarily going to ground to break up an opposition attack. I don't feel Lowe possesses that ability.

I also disagree about Savage. He wasn't the best tackler you've ever seen but at his physical peak especially when he was at Leicester he was exceptionally good at pressurising and harrassing the opposition to the point where they lost the ball. I think he'd have adapted fine today if he had to. I don't think Lowe is particularly good at that either at this stage.

The other big problem to Lowes game is that he slows the pace of the game down for Rovers.

Derby highlights didn't show the bit of argy bargy handbags stuff that went on just before Best scored.

Good to be able to see it in the context of the game. We rattled them and pounced while they were unsettled. Nice.

I was a big fan of that. Derby a few cretins who tried to bully us, the guy Marrow was marking was trying to throw him all over the place just before the handball. Then the cynical tackles started mounting and mounting as Best started to influence the game, and it was a very dirty tackle around the halfway line that eventually led to our goal. What I loved is as the guy who made it was running back, first Best gave him some grief and then Hanley shoved into the back of him. Sticking up for team-mates and giving the opposition what they gave to us, and a bit more besides if possible. Reminded me a little bit of the Hughes days.

I was a big fan of that. Derby a few cretins who tried to bully us, the guy Marrow was marking was trying to throw him all over the place just before the handball. Then the cynical tackles started mounting and mounting as Best started to influence the game, and it was a very dirty tackle around the halfway line that eventually led to our goal. What I loved is as the guy who made it was running back, first Best gave him some grief and then Hanley shoved into the back of him. Sticking up for team-mates and giving the opposition what they gave to us, and a bit more besides if possible. Reminded me a little bit of the Hughes days.

they`ll have to stick up for themselves, but also try not to react to wind ups either verbally or physically, as with us having an inexperienced team, we will be prone to teams trying that on with us..

Archived