BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Carlisle United, Away, League Cup

To be honest not a surprising result. Lots of new/squad players.

No point getting carried away with any early season results we need time to bed in new players and for GB to put his stamp on the setup.

But I am happier than this time last season, we are playing football and the manager seems to be building a team.

12 months ago we won a few early matches but only god knows how. Lets just wait and see where we are in a month or so.

• Replies 638
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lol been awake since 4am so in 5th gear now...so your sayind after watching the Derby game you think we wont even challenge for playoffs?

Yes that's it. It's nothing to do with last season and the fact that we have not improved that same squad enough.

As Parsonblue says a mid-table finish is what we will most likely acheived and whilst that is some improvement to the shambles of the last two years a cup distraction would have broken the humdrum. Sadly the manager doesn't have the same priorities and used the 'Steve Kean' manual

I think we learned a few things last night if nothing else.

Josh King is not a centre forward,

the defence still needs to be strengthened because songoo and givet weren't solid enough, the 4 at the back couldn't deal with Amoo at all.

Morris and Kane aren't fully ready for the rigours of first team football and

referees can be terrible!!

How he sent Cairney off for that 2nd "foul" is a disgrace.

Taylor seemed to go out of the game after his goal but was good before that and a real centre forward would have converted some of the crosses he put in. Olsson was shocking, never got in to the match, Judge is a good signing though.

we kept the ball well at times but I think we rushed possession alot and tried to play too high a tempo, possession would have killed that Carlisle team off!

good to see other squad members getting a run though and I think it gives us an idea of where we are as a squad. a lot of work to do!!

I think you are right in that GB should have expected a team made up of the first team squad to be able to beat Carlisle. However, as we saw in pre-season, Crewe, Rochdale and Preston all caused us problems and it is clear that many of our "squad" players are simply not that good. If we had a squad capable of challenging for promotion you might just be able to understand why the Cups are being ignored, but does anyone seriously believe that this squad is a promotion chasing one? Personally, if Gary can halt the slide and get us into a respectable mid-table position he will have done exceptionally well with what he has to work with at the moment.

Realistically though this game could very easily have gone our way.

1. If Dunn scores the penalty, fortunately we have Rhodes most of the time to take them.

2. If King clears the ball rather than trying to dribble his way out of the box!

3. If Cairney stays on the pitch I still think we would have won in extra time.

The positives for me are that the strongest performers from last night were the players who are likely to be involved on Saturday, Cairney (will he be banned for this sat or the following game?) Taylor, Judge, Lowe.

I actually have growing confidence in Bowyer as the more we see the new signings the more confidence I have in Bowyer spotting a decent player for the Championship. If Evans performs when fit (on paper to my mind he is the player most likely to perform considering how good he was last year). We may actually have a decent strong team.

For all his faults last night also confirmed to me that Dann is much better than the alternatives waiting on the bench at the moment. I know some rate Kilgallon (I actually think he is a good defender) but his injury problems do worry me.

The other positive is funnily how well Cairney and Lowe seem to compliment each other. Lowe definitely plays better with Cairney on the pitch. (Will be interesting to see if Evans and Lowe can combine well in midfield - we already know that Cairney and Evans can).

I wont go on about the negatives from last night - certain players really did disappoint.

• Backroom

On of the 1000 fans who ventured North last night along with Preston Blue.

We were never going to win on the penalty lottery.

Rovers at time played some good stuff, some bad stuff, some truly awful stuff and then some better stuff. It was a mixed old bag of a match.

I have read a number of interesting points and for what its worth heres mine.

Morris is NOT a left back.

Dunn looks fitter than ever however he took a lazy penalty that ultimately played the biggest part of our downfall.

Olsson was poor especially against players of Carliles level.

Givet has his head elsewhere.

Cairney looked a class apart.

Still no service to Rhodes ( I know we were on 10 men but still he never got a sniff).

Kane had little support in front of him caused by Taylors marauding. Together they caused havoc both in carlisles defence and ours !

Songo looked ok and settled well.

King is the rolls Royce who doesn't know how to be driven correctly. His speed is Ferrari like but his finishing is fiat style !

Rovers tried the Barca route without a forward up front. It wont work unless you have quality on the ball. Rovers learned last night that they need a link player behind the forward if they play 1 up front.

If Olsson continues to play it should be as a left back.

Other than that, kean ground but a good meat and tata pie !"

*** Forgot to mention the moronic element following Rovers who set the flare off. We don't want you following our team you are a complete set of KEANS***

Reading the last set of fans forum minutes Stuart Caley is concerned that it may lead to an injury and bans will be handed out, people need to report folk for it

The referee seemed to be a bit useless, but on the whole I'm not to worried. It only makes sense that GB fielded a weaker team as the fixtures in the championship come thick and fast as it is. League Cup 1st round often produces some weird and wacky results, Brighton getting stuffed to Newport for instance.

The sending off cost us in extra time, and I'm not entirely sure why Cairney did get sent off. I'm more disappointed about him missing the Forest game than I am us going out of this competition.

Reading the last set of fans forum minutes Stuart Caley is concerned that it may lead to an injury and bans will be handed out, people need to report folk for it

I got told by a Wigan fan at work who travelled to Barnsley that one of their fans got injured by a flare that had been thrown.

• Backroom

I got told by a Wigan fan at work who travelled to Barnsley that one of their fans got injured by a flare that had been thrown.

Are they actually flares or more the stuff that plumbers use to check for blockages?

Either way I doubt people want their kids around them

losing a cup game against lower league opposition should be upsetting, even if we did field a weakened team. I for one would have liked a stronger team out but we should have won with the starting XI anyway.

Sounds like we were undone by individual errors at the back and a second string back four while our new signings did reasonably well (Taylor, Judge, Cairney). For me King needs to step up soon as most of the times I've seen him he's been atrocious - he may have talent but its not been apparent so far and his on-field attitude is dreadful.

• Moderation Lead

losing a cup game against lower league opposition should be upsetting, even if we did field a weakened team. I for one would have liked a stronger team out but we should have won with the starting XI anyway.

Sounds like we were undone by individual errors at the back and a second string back four while our new signings did reasonably well (Taylor, Judge, Cairney). For me King needs to step up soon as most of the times I've seen him he's been atrocious - he may have talent but its not been apparent so far and his on-field attitude is dreadful.

King has raw pace, but not much else. I remember when we signed him, and at Barnsley away he picked up the ball on the left hand side, burned a defender for pace, took it on and scored.

Not seen that replicated since!!!!

Things evident so far from our first 2 games:

The new signings Bowyer has made look like a step up from what we already have. Spurr, Judge, Taylor and Cairney have all impressed. Marrow has done ok. Kilgallon and Corey Evans will be good when they are fit.

We are playing very good football. The best since Mark Hughes I would say. Actually really enjoyed watching us last night as we played some nice stuff and looked threatening every time we went forward.

Really positive signs despite the results. No idea how we didn't beat Derby and no idea how we didn't win last night. My concern is the quality of players our rivals are bringing - Wigan, QPR and Forest look very strong indeed on paper. As we know from last season though, it's not about who has the best team on paper.

One to forget for me, 8 changes highlights the fact that Bowyer either didn't care of the competition. The substitutions show that too, Judge on a little earlier or Rhodes & Best on could have won it late on.

I think 11 v 11 we would of won the game in ET.

Time will tell if Bowyer was correct to dismiss this game, if we are mixing with the play-off's come the tail end of the season it could be a great decision.

Looking forward to Saturday will the 'first' team, if we lose I dread to think what will happen on this, often bipolar, forum.

After years of watching international players in Rovers colours to now, are you surprised.

So far its played two won NONE! (against very ordinary opposition)

Keep the faith!

• Moderation Lead

After years of watching international players in Rovers colours to now, are you surprised.

So far its played two won NONE! (against very ordinary opposition)

Keep the faith!

Or be a miserable c**t like you and write off new players and manager after two games? Nah, I'll remember what it is to be a 'supporter' of BRFC thanks.

Lots of positives last night. I was very impressed with our passing, movement and general attacking play. Really liking Bowyer's style of football. Thankfully, we have no more hoofball.

Cairney, Taylor and Dunn were our 3 best players. Cairney was man of the match for me. Exactly the player we have been missing for many years. Hope we can sign this lad up permanently in Jan. Top player.

Also thought Morris was very impressive throughout. Lowe was good when he came on.

The central defence looked weak, barely won a header against Beck.

Lacked a cutting edge up front and need to sign another striker to cover for DJ and Rochina injuries. King is not the answer. King showede flashes of ability but loses the ball too often and doesn't have any end product. Also cost us two goals - was supposed to be marking Amoo for the first goal and did a silly dribble for the second goal.

Wow you though Dunn was one of our best players? i thought he was awful, so many misplaced passes, crossing was very poor, offered nothing defensively and to top it all he missed a peno, not berating him for missing it but the manor in which he did...

Positives were Taylor and Cairney...Kane was a very mixed bag last night, bit all over the shop, dangerous going forward though. 8 changes said it all, would of liked the win but the league really is where we need to concentrate and now as a result of last nights display thats one less distraction for the players..

Or be a miserable c**t like you and write off new players and manager after two games? Nah, I'll remember what it is to be a 'supporter' of BRFC thanks.

Stating simple facts K-Hod if you dont like it simply dont reply.

You'll find putting him on ignore makes this forum a much better read.

Wow you though Dunn was one of our best players? i thought he was awful, so many misplaced passes, crossing was very poor, offered nothing defensively and to top it all he missed a peno, not berating him for missing it but the manor in which he did...

Positives were Taylor and Cairney...Kane was a very mixed bag last night, bit all over the shop, dangerous going forward though. 8 changes said it all, would of liked the win but the league really is where we need to concentrate and now as a result of last nights display thats one less distraction for the players..

Really? Interesting. Thought he linked up very well with Cairney and those two really controlled the game for us. He also opened up play really well, spraying it from one side to the other. The penalty was far too casual. Think too many players didn't really take the game as seriously as they should have. Many didn't go in fully commited when trying to head the ball (Givet the main culprit) and we were very casual in our marking and trying to show boat in our own half (a la King).

Can fully understand Bowyer when he says we weren't professional enough. Carlisle looked dangerous from set pieces but really we should have won that game quite comfortably.

It was good to see us going forward and making chances for the first time in a couple of years and there were several pluses from last night. Taylor and Cairney both look good and Dunn looks fit so I would play all of these when available. The defence last night was a joke though. I am annoyed with the teem GB put out though. He should have played 1 of our first choice centre backs and 1of Best or Rhodes and he should have made changes earlier to try and force a result after 75 mins or so. Momentum is important and any we took from the late goal at Derby has gone after the way we threw it away 3 times last night. I can' see a better way of gelling a new team together than them playing together so why play someone like Givet and why play no proper striker when we would never play a league game like that?

Things evident so far from our first 2 games:

The new signings Bowyer has made look like a step up from what we already have. Spurr, Judge, Taylor and Cairney have all impressed. Marrow has done ok. Kilgallon and Corey Evans will be good when they are fit.

We are playing very good football. The best since Mark Hughes I would say. Actually really enjoyed watching us last night as we played some nice stuff and looked threatening every time we went forward.

Really positive signs despite the results. No idea how we didn't beat Derby and no idea how we didn't win last night. My concern is the quality of players our rivals are bringing - Wigan, QPR and Forest look very strong indeed on paper. As we know from last season though, it's not about who has the best team on paper.

Really? How come league one Carlisle scored three times then - and they hit the post as well didn't they, so it could have been four or more. Defending isn't just about the back four. As for the new boys, well how good we're they when they didn't have the ball? That's every bit as important as when they're in possession. I wasn't there, but did Taylor do the hard yards like Pedersen did? For all his critics would have you believe that he was useless, his positional play out wide on the left was excellent. For many years Peds has been giving rovers left back the cover that every full back needs. There are times, especially away from home when these players who might look good when others give them the ball, have to curb their attacking instincts for the sake of the team. Maybe someone who went can tell us how good rovers were when Carlisle had possession? I get the impression so far that we were pretty poor, much as we have been since Allardyce left.

Archived