BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Have we got our Rovers back?

I remember us being dumped out of the Yoofa cup by Trollybus and the whole country laughing at us.

Suck it up. Worse things happen at sea and it's part of being a football fan. By recent standards this close season offers some glimmer of hope. The sackcloth and ashes mob who are all over this thread since last night are even dafter than those who lost the plot because we got a last minute equaliser at Derby.

Sorry Chris, but I don't think it's particularly daft to be upset that we are out of a Cup as early as the 7 August!!! I'm upset whenever the Rovers lose at whatever level. The pre-season games against the likes of Crewe, Preston and Rochdale, demonstrated that the squad was wafer thin in terms of quality and I think last night showed we have a squad of 14 or 15 and after that the quality is very average. I think we are good enough for a comfortable mid-table spot but no more than that - hence the disappointment at going out of a Cup competition so early.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After the royal keaning up of our club over the previous 3 seasons, it is going to take more than the signing of a few Hull players to sort us out. We are showing some progress though. It might take a few more seasons before we challenge consistently, but at least I'm excitedly anticipating the next game; an emotion I haven't felt since 2010.

Sorry Chris, but I don't think it's particularly daft to be upset that we are out of a Cup as early as the 7 August!!! I'm upset whenever the Rovers lose at whatever level. The pre-season games against the likes of Crewe, Preston and Rochdale, demonstrated that the squad was wafer thin in terms of quality and I think last night showed we have a squad of 14 or 15 and after that the quality is very average. I think we are good enough for a comfortable mid-table spot but no more than that - hence the disappointment at going out of a Cup competition so early.

To be honest mid table is what I had settled for. What Gary Bowyer is attempting doesn't happen over night. I'm pleased that we have a core of 14/15 decent players who will keep us out of the soft stuff at the bottom of the Championship.

As for the cups, well last term's run to the FA Cup quarter final hardly made it a less miserable depressing season as far as I was concerned.

I'd take losing in the Quarter finals over going out of a cup before my summer holiday even begins.

It's strange how those who now grumble over losing to Millwall (strange how I get pilloried for such negativity!) were waxing lyrical when we beat Arsenal. That Arsenal game was the ONLY time I felt proud of the club in the last 3 years. I would like some more of that please.

So are we saying it's better to be knocked out than be 'scared' of losing a future tie?

^^^^^^^^^^^ That's modern 'sky fed' football fans for you. No ambition. They'd rather lose and get knocked out of the cup so the club can concentrate on 11th or 12th place in the league . All that is wrong with many football fans.

And to think I'll get castigated by "the idiots" for wanting to win every game??????????!!!!!!!!!!!

Whoops ;)

B&WA it is not about being castigated because the reality is we will not win every game ;)

Spot on Parson-out of the Cup before even the Community Shield, the hits just keep on coming.

Theres another post on here that talks about taking a few seasons before we are able to challenge again. I actually don't think we have that long .Once the larger Parachute payments disappear at the end of the season i just don't know how we survive financially. Venkys ain't gonna keep going the distance pumping money in at £2-3million a month which is what its going to take just to keep solvent.We have a massive overhead to get rid of and even when some leave they still want paying and in some cases this will be on the drip over the next couple of yrs. Its truly hideous. Was hearing that Shebby has a year left on his contract which is costing us £8k a week !!

This is truly hideous and to be watching such mediocrity and it to be costing us so much money just shows how horrendous the decision making has been for 2 1/2 yrs. Yes its calmer on the surface for which we are all very thankful but underneath remains a huge huge problem. No buyer would touch us because it is a basket case in terms of income and assets versus its costs .No wonder the likes of The Trust,/ The BRAG,/ The Ians have gone quiet-quite simply it looks beyond anyone with any sense.

B&WA it is not about being castigated because the reality is we will not win every game ;)

But why hinder yourself before you kick a ball? IF it was a few weeks into the season, we had spent heavily and were actively targeting promotion then maybe but we aren't. It was match 2 and the better players need to gel, not to sit idle

yes fair enough, we will not win every game but surely rovers should be looking to beat a league 1 side regardless of what team they put out, people say it was a weakened side but in 6 months time and injuries and suspensions kick in, these 'squad players' will be expected to step up to the plate and on last nights evidence they have been found wanting.

Or maybe folk have realised that no matter how good a history Rovers have, we are stuck with what we have now. They have decided to support the club in good times and the bad - because that is who they are. They are Rovers supporters, no matter the situation the club is in.

It does not mean they are happy with what venkys etc have done. It does not make them venky supporters (that will never happen) Maybe folk have just said this is the club I support and no bad owner / management is going to stop that. This is the situation and we make the most of what we have and hope for better times.

There are still folk on here who will remember times before Jack Walker - when success was only hoped for. May or not have a good cup run. May or may not get promoted. flurted with relegation at times. Expectations were a lot lower. Yet they still suported Rovers.

Many folk on here only recall the Jack Walker times and up to the present day - so have no memory of the clubs past struggles. A club is always bigger than the folk who own or run it. A genuine supporter supports their club no matter what the situation is.

The good times will one day return for the club and its supporters. Till then we continue to support and hope for that day.

This is really not about good times vs bad times. The problem with Venkys is not simply that they are incompetent - they are both morally and intellectually bankrupt, and it is clear they have 0 interest in the well being of the club. They got rid of some very fine Rovers men both in the staff and in the squad, including John Williams who was our backrock and the man who made and kept Rovers one of the most stable club in the league for a long time. Venkys got rid of a lot of "our Rovers" and replaced it with their own miserable agents who have failed in every way shape and form. "Our Rovers" is not about winning, it's about following the right direction, and Venkys clearly is not it.

Are people also forgetting that we had some pretty bad times under Jack Walker too? Following the title win, we failed miserably in the European competitions, and then were relegated a season later, which I think is still some kind of record. We were not heading back up when Jack Walker passed, in fact if it wasn't for the incredible work of Souness we would have been where we are now. But we did not have to start threads about "our Rovers" back then because that was a given. Even when the situation was bad, we were still united because Jack's legacy brought us together, good times and bad.

I'm not saying people should not be supporting Rovers - but sitting back and letting Venkys do whatever they want is not what I would call support. There will be no way forward while Venkys are in charge, this is just a fact that I can not understand how people are disputing.

It was a totally different game in those days EiT as well you know. But, as one who appreciates history, you will know that last night's debacle at Carlisle is further evidence that we have got "Our Rovers" back. We were always hopeless in the 'League Cup' - defeats to Rochdale, Notts County, Workington, Swindon etc. readily spring to mind. I would take the teams that Quigley had over what was on view last night any day of the week, including Jim Fryatt and John Coddington!

I think losing to Rochdale in the semi-final, over two legs no less, when we were a top 6 club was a touch more embarrasing than losing on penalties away to a team one league below us.

I wouldn't take the Quigley team over what we have now because it was in freefall and the next season we were 19th in the 3rd Division by November.

I think losing to Rochdale in the semi-final, over two legs no less, when we were a top 6 club was a touch more embarrasing than losing on penalties away to a team one league below us.

I wouldn't take the Quigley team over what we have now because it was in freefall and the next season we were 19th in the 3rd Division by November.

Depends which Quigley team you are talking about EiT. The one he inherited from Jack Marshall was pretty good - but for Barton's clanger against Coventry and Fergie losing the plot in the same game we might well have won an instant return to the top flight. Even the side that still had Newton, and the likes of Hunter, Knighton, Rogers etc. was pretty decent. I think I'd have Knighton and Rogers over Marrow and Lowe and would certainly take Hunter over Hanley or Dann.

Yeah, if big Jack had have come along then we would have done it. That team was only two or three players short of being good enough to get promoted. An class out and out goal scorer and another left winger who could graft a bit instead that waster Hill. He made MGP look like Gareth Bale ! Blacklaw was over the hill by then as well. Apart from him and Hill any one of those players would improve the current team.

Are you sure about Mulvaney playing in modern football - the lad could hardly run ? I thought Hill was OK; good crosser of a ball - Don Martin scored quite a few from his passes. Blacklaw was past his best but I preferred him to Fred Else. Fred's kicks were so weak they barely reached the half way line !

Are you sure about Mulvaney playing in modern football - the lad could hardly run ? I thought Hill was OK; good crosser of a ball - Don Martin scored quite a few from his passes. Blacklaw was past his best but I preferred him to Fred Else. Fred's kicks were so weak they barely reached the half way line !

Put Sir Roger and Waggy in that team and we'd have walked it

This has been a good read but I am eagerly anticipating Abbeys response when he sees it

I'm thinking caps lock

Hmmmm..........Sunday I guess

No, is the answer and far from it.

We still have dangerously stupid owners.

Bowyer is only a few poor results away from the sack under the clueless cluckers.

Then what use his 10 years' service?

He does himself no favours at all with the under-strength team he put out at Carlisle. That was naive at best, stupid at worst.

A cup run can galvanise a season. Simple.

Anyone who thinks we are in for an average season with no nasty surprises or avoidable mistakes is, I'm afraid, still not smelling the coffee.

• Backroom

Cup upsets happen. They've happened to us before. Move on.

Yes, we should've won and expected to (with that 11). But didn't. Oh well. Better luck in the FA Cup.

If we end up in the race for a playoff place come the end of the season, it'll be a blessing in disguise. If not, there's always next year.

As Cloughie said: The league is what matters.

Cup upsets happen. They've happened to us before. Move on.

Yes, we should've won and expected to (with that 11). But didn't. Oh well. Better luck in the FA Cup.

If we end up in the race for a playoff place come the end of the season, it'll be a blessing in disguise. If not, there's always next year.

As Cloughie said: The league is what matters.

Losing Cup games is never a blessing in disguise. Kean was roundly attacked for the sides he put out against Cardiff and MK Dons in this competition and now it suddenly doesn't matter? Gary gambled that his squad players would be good enough and they proved that they weren't. Sadly, when some of the senior players get injured or suspended it is these players we will be relying upon and that's the reason why I suspect the play-off places will be out of reach this season.

Losing Cup games is never a blessing in disguise. Kean was roundly attacked for the sides he put out against Cardiff and MK Dons in this competition and now it suddenly doesn't matter? Gary gambled that his squad players would be good enough and they proved that they weren't. Sadly, when some of the senior players get injured or suspended it is these players we will be relying upon and that's the reason why I suspect the play-off places will be out of reach this season.

Sadly Parson that isn't Bowyers fault entirely. He didn't bring that dross in, and now that it's here and he can't shift it, he has to utilise it in some form. Bloody Olsson shouldnt be playing football, Givet's head is elsewhere, King is useless imo, and Dunn is just about finished. And through all that, we probably should have won the game if that prune hadn't decided to dolly a penalty along the floor. Bowyer is doing what he can in a sh*t situation - I certainly did not class that as a weak side and I expected them to beat Carlisle. The fact that they didn't is a damming vindication of the decimation that has taken place in the last three years.

A win tomorrow and all will be forgotten, you know that as well as I do

Archived