BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] RIP Dave Wagstaffe

No need for a minutes silence cos Waggy was neither a stalwart nor a real legend cos he only played 70 odd matches for us. Far more fitting for any silence to be held at Molyneux.

I noticed that the players did have black armbands on though.

I loved watching Waggy, exciting team we had then. I was always under the impression he was the first player to receive the red card (could easily be wrong as my memory isn't what it was). Which, if correct, was ironic, as he was hardly a dirty player.

Two things I remember about David Wagstaff was he was the first player I ever saw who hit the ball across the field straight onto the toe of our other winger who was Gordon Taylor at the time. The next time I witnessed this was from a certain Mr.David Beckham for United reserves at old Trafford against Rovers.

His party trick though was that he always pretended to cross the ball, causing the defender to spin around avoiding not to get hit with the ball, then Waggy would simply throw a feint dummy then go past him to put a more telling cross in.

Great to watch in those days.(he was a natural left winger )

• 2 weeks later...

Archived