BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Will we ever get back to the PL ?

new "sensible" owners and a clean slate and anything is possible

with the current owners any sense of reality dawning resulting in a spell of sensible footballing decisions can only be measured in weeks........a seasons worth of good decisions is beyond the current owners.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm 64 so I don't expect to see us back at the top level in my lifetime.

We nearly made it several times in the eighties with no money and on the law of averages I think we will probably get back in there at some stage like Burnley or Blackpool did briefly . It's likely to be a brief flirtation without serious financial investment though.

I am 50 and I do not expect to Premier League football at Ewood Park again ...

Venkys are too blame for the demise and it appears to me , they do not take their stewardship seriously .....

I have bought a season ticket cos I am a Rovers fan but unfortunately thanks to the Pune loons , we are back in the mid 80s ...

We will............sometime. Goodness knows when, but when the public wakes up, loses interest in the crass soap opera that is the top level and it all implodes we would have a better chance. It may be this season we get promoted, or 10, 20, 30 years from now but we will be in the top division again.

This is the 22nd year of the Premier League, and the seasons to date, there have been an astonishing 46 different teams in the top flight. That's half of the clubs in the main league structure.

Of the clubs who haven't played at least once in the 'modern' top flight, only two (Huddersfield Town and Preston North End) ever won the 'old' top flight, with a further 15 clubs having played in the 'old' but not the 'modern'. But somehow I doubt Glossop North End, Bradford Park Avenue or Darwen are likely to make a resurgence in the near future. So that's a fairly static 'top 60' clubs over 125 years.

Additionally, in the 125 years of the league, Rovers had been in the top flight 72 seasons; and even discounting for the general sustained success in the last couple of decades, that means there has been topflight football for more than 50% of the time.

Everything points to Rovers getting back to the top flight at some point. (Barring club folding, football being banned, the planet being destroyed for a hyperspace bypass etc)

With the average male life expectancy in the UK currently 79, if I survive to that age, I will confidently say that I will see top flight for Blackburn Rovers (not tempting fate by saying "at Ewood") in my life time. Admittedly that does give us another 35 years to hit the target.

PS Hopefully those closer to the statistical age used, will see top flight football again, and also be around for a long time after as well. :)

Beta Ray Bill: Another stat to check out is the percentage of clubs that once promoted, stay there.

Abbreviating my post, half the teams that come up go straight back down it seems. That's rather gloomy considered by itself.

But the question is "will we ever get back?" Not "will we ever get back and stay there for any length of time?"

The former I'm certain of...

At some point in the future it's a possibility. Unfortunately I can't be more specific than that. Last season was our best chance to do it, but with Kean, Shebby, the owners and some of the players making a total balls up of the entire season, that chance has been and gone. I don't see it happening in the next three to five seasons.

Archived